Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feedings

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

Feedings

Before you read this I beg you to please not judge me. I am not a expert nor am I perfect...

So I got a new issue with my feather baby. My english budgie is very underweight. I never really noticed it because he is so much bigger than the bush budgies I have been used to most of my life. Now recently he has become very more destructive and so on and I thought to myself it was maybe because he wanted more attention or he is being a moody baby. This morning I got a load of time on my hands and I took him out and I felt a very hard object along his chest and belly. This has brought me to the conclusion it was the chest bone I am feeling and that yells out underweight. He is perfectly healthy and eating seeds though not a lot. His poop is perfect. He isn't sleepy or puffy. He is rather lazy but yeah. I have not the slightest idea why he is underweight. Now normally you would tell me to go to a vet but I don't have one near me. The closest possibly one is 2 - 3 hours drive away from me and I honestly don't have the means in transport for that.

I called a few people I know that has been breeding and taking care of sick birdies for years and gave me a list of healthy porridge I can make for him and feed him. I was advised to do this 3 times a day and still keep his food in the cage just for in case he wants more in between. I was told to make it with boiled water and let it cool down and feed it to him. I have done so but my biggest question is, can I put the leftovers in the fridge and give it to him again later by heating it just a little in the microwave? It's made only with water. No dairy. No sugar. It's literally the healthiest porridge I could find with vitamins, iron and calcium. The entire box of porridge contains about 0.08g of sugar(the box of porridge is about 500gram). I made just a little bit too much and as a result I have half a syringe full of porridge left. I don't want to waste anything, but I don't want to put my baby into more danger.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Feedings

Hi, Marisca. Welcome back. I would say you can keep the mix in the fridge for a day or so. I see no reason why you could not microwave, but you know it heats food fast. So do not overheat. You also could heat some in a pan on the stove. If this mix works, maybe other members would like the recipe.

Have you examined this little guys body to see if you can feel any unusual lumps anywhere. My thought is he could have cysts or tumors that are causing the weight loss. You know to weigh him every morning on a food scale to see if he is gaining weight. Also, try boiling a chicken egg, and shred it and see if he would eat some small pieces. It can also be refrigerated for a day or two. It is great protein for him. Also, feed some whole wheat bread pieces.

We will watch for updates. I will pray for good health and healing for him.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

HI Marisca, good to see you again.

Budgies are very prone to Avian Gastric Yeast which makes them get very skinny. They will still eat, sometimes eat more then usual but still lose weight. There poop can be perfect but sometimes it will come out with tiny bubbles in it or be watery and you can see a greenish or yellowish stain around it. If he has AGY any sweet sugars from fruits will make his poos change slightly so keep a very close eye on his poos.

I think like Ellen that the food you are feeding it should be good in the fridge for one day after you feed it. I wouldn't go any longer just because like you I would be too nervous about it going bad. I hope it helps you little bird and he gains some weight.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. The feeding is a right mess and some biting involved but we shall get past that too.

Boomer it actually does sound a lot like AGY from your description. His poop has been as of yesterday night a bit greenish and just a little watery. I think I caught the very early stages of it. In all fairness I am not planning on keeping it longer than 1 day in the fridge. I will make a fresh batch in the morning and then feed through the day. Can you maybe tell me how much an adult budgie needs to consume? I have given him so far about a third of a full syringe every time and keep his food bowl in just for in case too.

The recipe is extremely simple really.
    http://www.nestle.co.za/Brands/Cereals/Cerevita

The cereal above mixed with hot water. Leave it just a little to cool and there ya has it. It is rich in vitamin C, B, Iron and a few other things as well. It's the healthiest I could find for my budgie. There are other brands like Pronutro, weetbix, jungle oats and future life but then I am buying a big box of cereal that I only need a supply of for about 2 weeks at the most. The other brands tend to be healthy as well, but my gut went with the nestle.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

My scale says the budgie is 35g(this was taken after the feeding.) As to per my knowledge: Your standard bush budgie should be 35 - 40g, but since an english/show budgie is bigger my logical mind says he should weigh a lot more. Am I correct?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I am not sure that he should weigh alot more than a regular budgie. Maybe he is a bird that is just thinner. DNA plays the role in body and bone mass. Maybe he is long and lean, so to speak.

I have homed budgies for years and years, and have been fortunate none got AGY. Years and years ago, I had one that died from coccitiosis.

The only concern I have about that mix would be the iron content. My thought would be to feed the mix every other day for a week or ten days, and then feed once a week for awhile, to see if it does put weight on him and he is more energetic and seems to have better health. Then after a month, I would give him this mix once a month for a boost.

Nestle products have been on the market for years, here in America. So, you picked a great one!
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-06-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

I don't want him to be fat, yet everything that I have learned is that if you can very clearly and sharply feel the chest bone then it's underweight. I do think the feedings is working in all fairness. His poop is now officially getting less watery. Like yesterday it had the greenish watery bits and still earlier today but not anymore. I honestly think it's working. He is in general a bit down but I do think thats because he isn't used to being force fed. The forth feeding has gone smoother than the previous 3 so I think it's working. I am planning on giving him 3 times a day feedings for 3 days. Then 2 feedings for 3 days and then end it with 1 feeding once a day and then we shall see.

In every single other porridge there is iron content so I can do absolutely nothing about it. Those brands that doesnt have iron is really crappy not valuable and healthy porridge and I won't even consider that option.

Oh I am so happy you recognize the brand. It helps a lot and nestle is a great brand. Been using their stuff for years. Especially the hot chocolate.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are a great caregiver to your flock, and I kow you will make the right decision for feeding him, the number of times, days, etc. My thoughts are just my own. You will do fine. Oh yes... Nestle's hot chocolate has been here for many, many years, Yum!! Yum! Please keep us posted.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

I don't feel like a great caregiver at this stage because my budgie is underweight and possibly has AGY, but thank you Ellen. I appreciate it. I do take what you guys into concideration because you all are much more experienced than I am. I also go with what I know I am capable of managing at this stage and then find a solution in between. Poops are still solid. No green watery issue. The poop is a mos green color(so slightly lighter), but I expect a change like this with the feeding too. He has taken to eating small bits of seed to even after the feedings so progress!

Oh btw keeping track. In the last 3 feedings he has eaten all together about 25mm of food. I wish I knew what exactly that was in ml, but my syringe doesn't have those markings that tells you how much it takes.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

See if you can Google search for the miligrams. They should have a chart that will change it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Make sure the food does not have any kind of sugars in it because if it's AGY it will make it worse. Look up ways to treat AGY with citric acid and see if this helps it. AGY is easily treated with Diflucan or AmpB if you can afford a vet check.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am hopeful the porridge will help him and he will gain some weight, and be healthy.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ellen, Citric acid is a natural way to keep them safe from fungal and yeast infections and balance out a birds gut flora. Many people put a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar or Citric acid in the water every now and then just to keep the gut flora in good shape to prevent these infections. It will not treat AGY or fungal infections but it will help them not get it. Also giving birds a little bit of Benabac every now and then keeps there gut flora in good shape as well. Its all natural and all is used to prevent bad things from happening. Since Marisca's bird is losing weight I think it might be a good idea to give it something to boost its healthy gut flora to hopefully help it gain some weight.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you for sharing that information, Deanna.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-08-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

Sorry for not talking for a bit. I was watching things and as life goes every single day I get new things that occupy me. My budgie seems a little better. Still watery poop, but I have seen him eating on his own as well. He doesn't seem to take in large quantities in water so I do think he isn't dehydrating. His weight is still 36grams at the moment. I have gotten something called colidal silver liquid. I use it and I believe it can cure almost anything. I am going to add it to the water and see if that doesn't help a bit. It does indicate that it helps for any gastic issues. Below I have added a link so you can see what I am on about. I have previously given it to animals only to have massive success with it. Mostly it was infected cuts and a small cold. I can't get to a vet because my closes avian vet is more than 3 hours drive away from my house. I don't have the transport options to get there so home made cure is the way to do it for now.

http://silverlab.co.za/product/silve...silver-liquid/

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I read it is bird safe but never knew anyone who used it. I would use just a tiny bit in the water since its such a tiny bird. I myself would be afraid to use it on my bird.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

I understand your reluctance because birds are sensitive fellows. Ill put him through with it and let you know what my findings are.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janis D Staniewski
    Thanks

Re: Feeding

Hi Marisca,
    I just joined Tailfeathers because of your posts. Please check out the website http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/fea...idalsilver.php for complete guidelines for using colloidalsilver.
    Also, I would suggest using a handfeeding formula for weight gain such as Avitech Formula One. Also, I have a cup of Herb Salad by Twin Beaks Aviary available to my birds at all times. They are natural herbs that birds eat in the wild to cure themselves. You can read about the Herb Salad on the same website mentioned above or at Twin Beaks Aviary's website. I hope some of this information helps you. I know I have found the information very useful. I wish you and your baby the best!
    Last edited by krittermom; 05-11-2017 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Wrong heading

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer loved the herb salad and it helped him feel better on his sick days. Marisca is in South Africa and it would cost a fortune to get the herb salad over there. But you can look at the ingredients and try to make your own Marisca.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

@Krittermom: Thank you for joining to help me. I do appreciate it a lot. I will sit down and read it as soon as my coffee has kicked in and the daily rush has mellowed down. I have no idea about the formula you have suggested. I have never seen it in any pet shop or any place in South Africa that sells products for pets. We have some formula's I have seen but I don't know the names right now so I can't post it here. I would have to look again at a point to be accurate.

In all fairness right now the goal would be home made and not store purchased. Not everyone can run down to the stores or vets and get these things as in my case. I don't have a vet close. The places that sells bird food is just standard food and treats and as above mentioned a formula I have not the faintest idea what the function of it would be. Amazon doesn't really cater for south africa either so I can't order it either. Maybe a home recipe for weight gain would work

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janis D Staniewski
    Thanks

Hi Marisca,
    I am so sorry! I didn't realize that you were in South Africa. I'm so use to searching the internet, buying and having the things I need shipped express but I am located in the United States. I hope the information on Colloidal Silver helps you and your baby!

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

a general update on Castiel. He is doing just fine. He is eating all on his own. Still in all fairness underweight, but he is healthy other than the underweight part. The poop is 100% again. He is being playful and chatty again. Now to cross the bridge of fattening him up and he is all set to go

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is awesome news. I'm super happy for both of you. The porridge worked!!! Yaaay!

Remove Ads