Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie eating only broccoli and not eating seeds

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie eating only broccoli and not eating seeds

Hi
    I got two budgies from a breeder.For the first two weeks I gave them seeds,they ate well.about 4 days ago I gave them a mix of broccoli and carrot for a change.one of them stopped eating seeds completely and will not eat anything unless I serve broccoli.For it to eat seeds should I give it sprouts?Im new to budgies so can anyone suggest how to make sprouts at home?where can I buy seeds to sprout etc.I live in North America.

thanks
    Sally
    Last edited by Sally123; 05-05-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Re: Budgie eating only broccoli and not eating seeds

Hi, Sally, and welcome to the community. Broccoli should be fed sparingly because it has a phyto chemical in it that is not good for budgies to eat all of the time. Try some millet. You can get millet sprigs at a pet shop. You also can get millet seeds only at a health food store. Mix the millet with the regular seed mix you are feeding. Put some fresh red or green leaf lettuce in the cage, either between the cage bars, or shred some and put some shredded with the carrots on a plate and place on cage floor or in a separate cup.

I would not feed broccoli for a week or so, and limit to feeding once a week. Try frozen peas that are slightly thawed in place of the broccoli. Small pieces of whole wheat bread are also good to feed. Also, cilantro, sparingly.

What seed mix are you feeding? You can get a seed sprouting mix on Amazon on line called Tops Napolean sprout mix. We have several members who use it and like it alot. Google...sprouting seeds for budgies. Also try searching sprouting seeds for budgies on Youtube.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks maxollie.I tried millets and it enjoyed eating millets and even hoped on my finger when I fed it.but it eats very less seeds.i was able to sprout alfalfa seeds and give it(which it likes)
    I also started shredded carrots,romaine lettuce,egg(once a week),apple cider,vinegar(once a week in water bowl),sprouted legumes n peas,etc.
    I tried fruits but had no luck.

The day I don't provide veggies,it either fights with the other bird in the cage or sits aloof on the perch all puffed up.

How do I get it to eat fruits as well?i was thinking stick millet seeds on the fruit so that it takes a bite

What percent of diet are the seeds

Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Seed sprouting is the best way birds get great nutrition, so sprout as much as possible. As to the seed, generally provide a see cup every day. I fill my cups about 1/2 to 2/3rds. Budgies do waste quite alot of seed, because they like to scratch it out of the cup, and the seeds are very small so there is alot of waste as they crack them. I let mine eat as much seed as they wish to, and also provide them fresh veggies. I have never had much luck with budgies eating fresh fruits. But in my view, the sprouted seeds, regular seeds and veggies have great nutrition. You can still keep trying fruuts. They may just find some they like. Try the millet suggestion with tbe fruit. That just might work!

Your mix of the sprouts, seeds, egg, veggies, etc., is awesome. You can decide how much seed to feed. Budgies do love to eat! We will welcome your updates anytime.

Remove Ads