where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Identifying Canaries - pics and song included

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vivaldi
    Thanks

Question Identifying Canaries - pics and song included

Hey there, I'm new to the community, and I've tried doing some research but I'm at a loss. I recently found a canary at Pets Mart and though I normally stay away from pet stores for purchasing anything let alone a live animal, this little guy had the most unique "peep" and beautiful colors, he was interactive, bright, and he stole my heart. I had recently lost my last canary who was 8 years old and a very loud singer.

Anyway, I digress, I brought this little guy home, certain it was male because he was vocal though not singing, looking at him I believed he was quite young. He has no band.

Today he started practicing singing, a stage I never got to experience with my last canary. But his song, even his peeps, are totally different than any other canary I have ever heard. His coloring is quite unique as well.

I'm not sure if there are any canary enthusiasts out there, but if you are well versed in identifying the type of canary he might be I'd be so grateful!

Here are a few pics (please don't judge the cage, I moved him into a smaller one so I could get a decent shot or two as he's very active in his larger cage) and the audio of him practicing his song.

Vivaldi Practicing:
    https://youtu.be/puk9oD_EVuA

Last edited by Vivaldi; 05-06-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Identifying Canaries - pics and song included

Welcome. He does not appear to have any distinct type characteristics, defining him as a type canary, so I will yield to he would fall into being a colorbred canary. With that said he shows the diluted mutation for Cinnamon. You did well taking the pictures but it is still hard to tell. I would refer to him as a variegated cinnamon colorbred canary.
    The song, if young would make sense. Young birds obviously have a voice, but no distinct vocabulary. They learn from their parents and surroundings. If he was taken from his parents before he learned, or even more likely taken before learning but also placed in an environment he heard many other types of vocalizations, he has picked those up. To him he may be communicating, but he doesn't know canary completely. Example: if a human child was thrust into a place were say Spanish, French, English and others are being spoken, but the child was left to figure it out on his own, well he's pick up a mish mosh. Many of my birds when housed outside years ago, picked up cardinal phases, since their was a wild cardinal who built a nest just outside where my birds where housed. No worries, since he isn't a song canary, meaning part of the song canary groups, (Timbrado's, Rollers, American Singer etc.) it doesn't matter. Even if you paired him later, the mate would just think he had an accent, since most all canary communication is via body language, and vocalizations are for territory, warning or calling a mate or flock.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vivaldi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    Welcome. He does not appear to have any distinct type characteristics, defining him as a type canary, so I will yield to he would fall into being a colorbred canary. With that said he shows the diluted mutation for Cinnamon. You did well taking the pictures but it is still hard to tell. I would refer to him as a variegated cinnamon colorbred canary.
    The song, if young would make sense. Young birds obviously have a voice, but no distinct vocabulary. They learn from their parents and surroundings. If he was taken from his parents before he learned, or even more likely taken before learning but also placed in an environment he heard many other types of vocalizations, he has picked those up. To him he may be communicating, but he doesn't know canary completely. Example: if a human child was thrust into a place were say Spanish, French, English and others are being spoken, but the child was left to figure it out on his own, well he's pick up a mish mosh. Many of my birds when housed outside years ago, picked up cardinal phases, since their was a wild cardinal who built a nest just outside where my birds where housed. No worries, since he isn't a song canary, meaning part of the song canary groups, (Timbrado's, Rollers, American Singer etc.) it doesn't matter. Even if you paired him later, the mate would just think he had an accent, since most all canary communication is via body language, and vocalizations are for territory, warning or calling a mate or flock.
    Thanks so much for the reply! Your analogy makes perfect sense. And yes, he was a little difficult to snag a pic. He has since started singing, probably one of the quietest singers I have heard, and the time of day he sings is later than my last canary. He's adorable nonetheless. I'll post his song just in case you'd like to hear it He's very very interactive, which is new to me, I'm not accustomed to canaries that "talk" to you, and "responds" when you talk to them. He's not even remotely shy lol!

Anyway thanks again!

https://youtu.be/TReqgyqz3Tc

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Your little guy looks just like mine colour wise as for responding to you mine will fly to the front of his cage when I call him and will sing if i'm on the phone or talking on Skype it feels like he is taking part it's so cute. Took him awhile to start singing also but once he did he hasn't stopped he is my wake up call in the morning as the room I keep him in gets the first rays of sun light every morning I've called my little guy Cinnamon because of his colour though I didn't know he was a male when I first got him.

What I did to bring his song along was to play him other birds singing it seemed to help he was only 4 months old when I got him as he was ringed I did get him from a pet shop also but it was his colour that got my notice. Here is a little video of him singing this is his old cage he is now in a large flight cage though note he doesn't sing till near end of video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4aTw0RtBE
    RIP Twitter may your song fill the heavens forever

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Like Imizael said, I play my girl canary songs from YouTube and she sings back at it. They learn, if you repeat. I holler out to her from wherever I am in the house and she tends to respond back 70% of the time with the phrase that I am imitating of hers - the three that works with are WEee-Oooo, pip pip pip, and badabadabada. It's very hard to type sounds. She also sings a different song when she hears different things. Running water from the tap, vacuum, Latin music, classical music, laughter or applause on the tv. Heck, she even sings to the sounds of the other bird that you guys post on here. Imizael's little guy likes to hear my videos of Snitch too! I sing lullabies and kids' songs to her as well and she hops right up to the front of her cage to listen to me and "chat" with me. They're really such sweet and lovely companions. She makes sounds sometimes like the clips of your little guy too. She also has a happy dance and song for me when I put a slice of orange or jalapeņo in her treat clip. The feedback is awesome. I never mistake her tastes!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 1,003 Posts

What a special little bird she is! That is absolutely awesome. What a beautiful friend you have in her. I know for sure she loves you, to be responding to you as she does! And I know, you love her right back! Thanks for sharing, Missy!
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads