Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby broke its beak!

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Exclamation Baby broke its beak!

I have one little baby in this clutch (the other eggs were all infertile/died). It's currently 14 days old. A few days ago when I checked up on mom and baby, the baby had a decent sized crack on its beak and blood clotting around it. A few days have passed and I've been trying to keep the beak clean (as clean as I can anyways. It's fine with me cleaning until I get too close to the crack/scab, which makes it start squirming and squawking), but it looks like the beak is starting to grow unevenly. I'm not sure what to do at this point. If anyone has any ideas I will gladly take them. I don't want this little break to ruin the poor little guy's entire beak!

This is the best picture I could get of it.
    The top beak on this side doesn't quite come all the way down to the bottom, but the gap is so small it doesn't seem to be affecting its eating or anything. At this point, it doesn't seem to be in pain unless I try to clean it with a q-tip as I have been.
    Edit: This is what it looks like from the front
    Last edited by willowstar; 05-07-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Re: Baby broke its beak!

Awww!! The baby is soo sweet and precious. What are you using to keep it clean? There are some birds that are hatched that have a beak that does not close perfectly. My thought is to continue to keep it clean and encourage it to eat and drink. Also, a suggestion would be to call an Avian vet in your area. Tell them what happened and what you are doing. They should be able to tell you how to proceed. The birds that do have imperfect bite, I believe, on occasion, go to the vet and have the beak evened up a bit so they can continue eating and drinking. Birds can live with this problem, so unless the beak would break more, or be bleeding, I think the baby will be ok. Get a cuttlebone at the pet shop and finely crush a small piece. See if you can mix a small amount with the seed mix and feed it. Cuttle bone is calcium which will make the beak stronger.

Welcome to the forum, Ashley, and we will welcome updates.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

It's definitely a sweetheart, that's for sure! Right now, I'm just using warm water on a q-tip to wipe away any food that gets stuck there. I didn't want to risk using anything that would possibly hurt the baby more. Giving some cuttlebone is a good idea! I'll be sure to try that.

Thank you for the help! I feel a little bit better about it now. I'll keep monitoring it and probably give the vet a call in the next couple days, just to be safe.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

The warm water is excellent. Great decision. Please give the baby scritches for me, and I am sending you hugs. You are doing fine with the baby. Please keep us posted.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

What a little cutie! I hope it works out. You're doing a great job keeping it clean. I concur a call to the vet would be a good idea just to make sure this bubba will be able to eat and drink easily in the future!