Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Fly Free Rocky

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Unhappy Fly Free Rocky

I lost my best friend last night... Rocky, my Blue & Gold Macaw, would have been 30 in August. He was perfectly fine yesterday morning 5/8/17. He ate normal, drank normal, did his happy morning dance along with his morning "OOhh" when he got him morning treat. I went to the feed store down the street to get more seed for my finches. When I came back home he did his happy dance to see me back home. Not even an hour later (4:00pm), He was on the bottom of his cage pooing blood. I immediately called my avian vet that I take all my birds to for their wellness exams. Told her what was going on & they said to bring him in ASAP. I drove form Florissant, CO to Colorado Spings, CO (an hour drive in less that 35-40 min). When I got there, they did their diagnostic on him & found he had both heart disease & cancer. Neither had showed up in his last wellness exam. They asked if I would want to euthanize him because he had when so far downhill. I told them that if he is to pass, I would rather him be at home with family. They understood that. They gave him some fluids & oxygen along with some other medication for just in case if he did pull through that we can get him treated when he would be stronger, but they highly doubted that he would make it through the night.

I got home from the vet right at 9:00pm... By that time he had taken a really steep turn downhill. I sat with him in my arms petting him, talking to him so that he know I was there. I told him he was a good boy & that I loved him very much. I gave him a kiss on his head, he looked at me & passed. I feel that he knew how much he was loved & that he wasn't alone. I wish that there was something else that could be done & that his issues would of turned up in his last exam. I picked out a very beautiful place to lay him to rest. It over looks the lake in our front yard when he would always want to look across when we were outside.

Fly free my beautiful Rocky sweetheart! You will forever be loved & very deeply missed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Rocky looking over our lake

[IMG][/IMG]
    Just being a sweetheart

[IMG][/IMG]
    At the table with me for breakfast

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Re: Fly Free Rocky

Oh, Sam! I am so, so very sorry Rocky has passed. I am crying now myself. He was a beautiful soul, and like all your flock, you took great care of him. I totally agree with you he knew you were there for him, holding him and loving him to his last breath. I would have wanted to bring him home too. And the place he will be buried is simply beautiful just as he was.

I'm sending you my sincere sympathy, and hugs as well. We are here for you.

Somewhere, over the rainbow,
    Way up high,
    There's a land that I heard of,
    Where beautiful birds like Rocky, fly!!

Fly high and free, Rocky. You are loved for forever,
    And will be sorely missed.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Sam and feel just horrible that you lost your Rocky. He truly was a beautiful soul like Ellen said and you can see it just looking at him. Reading how he died broke my heart and made me cry too. I just cannot even imagine the pain you felt seeing his soul slowly leaving you as you held him. I will be thinking of you and sending you lots of love in my thoughts. You were a good Mom and his resting place is beautiful.

Fly free Rocky... you were loved.
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Sam I'm so sorry to hear. What a beautiful bird he was and sounds like such a personality! You were there for him when he needed you most and he got to go knowing how much you loved him.

That's a lovely resting place for him. Could you perhaps plant a tree or bush over him that will have bright blue or yellow flowers too?

Fly high Rocky.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Thank you all for your kind words... Sammy, that's a wonderful idea with planting a tree or bush over him to bloom his colors. I think I'm going to look for something like that. This week has just been really hard. My Goffin Cockatoo, Cheeto, was buddies with Rocky... now he doesn't want to come out of his cage. I know that he is still grieving as well.

If you have any ideas of what type of plant I could plant over Rocky's grave would be great. I live up in the mountains so would like to find something that will survive the weather up here.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I'll have a think - I live in Australia so a very different climate. We do have a bush type thing here called wattle, which blooms bright yellow, but not sure about climate. Usually Aussie natives are pretty hardy, but might be hard to get where you are. I'll brainstorm!

Remove Ads