Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cecil Protective of Evie's Eggs

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Cecil Protective of Evie's Eggs

We are now on Egg #4 of clutch 2 for Evie. This girl is unbelievable!

I have noticed Cecil going in or around her cage and getting defensive when I approach. Sometimes he even gets upset when Evie is near. He will lightly touch each egg with his beak and stand guard. He still does not actually sit on them.

I have been removing him immediately when I see this behavior.

Any thoughts?
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cecil Protective of Evie's Eggs

It sounds like he is thinks he is the Daddy of these eggs. Hopefully they didn't sneak in a little "fun" when you were not looking.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,306 Posts

Well, I would say he is behaving like any male would do in a cage where there is a female who has eggs. I truly feel that his presence is a part of her laying this second clutch. All he knows is there are eggs, and it sounds like he is willing to help with them. But he also could get jealous of the eggs and break or beak them. We pretty much know he is younger, and probably immature so his behaviors can be like a "teenager" if you will. At some point she may get defensive of her eggs and be aggressive with him to protect them.

Quite honestly, with him there, I doubt she will stop laying until they mate, she lays fertile eggs, and hatches babies. It is just a perfect setup now with the two of them. The time when they mate is the only missing piece of the puzzle. At this point, I do not think keeping him away from her and the eggs will help to stop her hormones. A male is in her life now, and a female is in his life, and for Nature...that is all that matters.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Boomer Girl.. I am pretty confident no hanky panky went on between Cecil and Evie but not 100% sure of course!

I have never had a male and female tiel at the same time so thank you, Maxollie, for the info! It's been quite stressful having Evie lay so many eggs so soon, especially not knowing her past health history. However, she's been looking and acting healthy so I think she's okay.

Here's a typical Cecil photo of him "guarding" the eggs. I think he will make a good daddy when the time comes!

Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, Cecil sure does look interested in those eggs!. Another suggestion for you is to go to the website, Cockatiel Cottage, and read about pairs, breeding, nesting, and egg laying behaviors as a couple.

Right now, we cannot be sure they will fall in love. Some pairs remain friends rather than mating, so time and patience will tell for sure.

Like you, I really did not expect another clutch from her so soon, but it is springtime, and humidity and weather also play a role, as well as being comfortable with their surroundings. I think, if they do become a pair, you are the perfect candidate to be their Birdy mom. It is a fun experience to watch the process, and at the same time, there is concern, from time to time, that all will go well from the mating to the hatching.

Happy Birdy Mother's Day, Kalei. We sure never expected this excitement in your home last year at this time. You really will learn many life lessons from these two, even if they do not mate. It would be great if they waited until fall, but your weather may just encourage the process earlier!

I am still praying for Penny's return and keeping my intentions going. Sending scritches to Cecil and Evie, and hugs to you!

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thank you, Maxollie, for the Birdy Mother's Day wishes!!! We human mothers went out for lunch and I made sure to wish Miss Evie a Happy Mother's Day before we left!

Cecil and Evie may in fact never fall for one another but I can tell they love each other's company. As much as Evie bosses Cecil around, there is a connection between the two. I find it so cute when she flock calls Cecil when he is out of sight!

I will definitely check out Cockatiel Cottage's site again about mating pairs - it's my go-to site!!

Yes, we never would've expected any of this last year at this time.... so much has happened.... thank you for the continued intentions, that helps tremendously. We are not giving up hope on bringing our girl home!!
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, she definitely has a crush on him, since she flock calls him. That is neat, she is completely normal being the usual bossy female!!. I truly hope they will pair up so you can be on the journey to chicks!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Aww, he is such a cute and handsome "Daddy" bird, not saying it will happen with this eggs but it is going to be so hard for you to keep it from happening in the future. I hope Evie has no issues with these eggs and she is one lucky bird because no doubt you are feeding her everything she needs to stay healthy.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

That picture is great. He looks so chuffed with himself! Haha! I'm so glad Cecil and Evie are happy. And still think of you and Penny daily.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Oh dear so now we are on Egg #6 with Evie and Cecil is becoming more and more protective and aggressive with them.

Is it wise to keep him out of Evie's cage and away from her eggs? He will even chase her out when she goes back in to check on the eggs. Is this normal for a male to be acting this way? The problem is I open up both of their doors in the morning to let them roam free and for some reason Evie goes straight into Cecil's cage and Cecil into Evie's. I have tried switching cages but they have continued to go into the other's cage.

I am at a loss! Cecil is grumbling to himself on her perch right now, getting very upset if I come near, blocking the entrance.

Any words of advice would be super at this point!! Thank you!!!
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have no idea what you should really do about this and hopefully someone else will be able to advise. It does sound almost natural what they are doing though because Cecil is definitely defending the nest when she takes off to his cage like most male birds would do. But to defend it from Evie is not a good thing. For never being a Daddy Cecil has that dad bird thing going on badly right now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think you probably have only one option at this point, and that is to keep them in their own locked cages, and let each one out separately to fly free, keeping the other in his or her cage. I do not think there is any other way to prevent the possible beaking or breaking of the eggs, or aggression and being controlling that Cecil is currently displaying. It is most likely because he is immature and has never been with a female, nor seen eggs. It is a Nature instinct, and I do not know any way to stop it, other than what I have shared. Many first timers do get jealous of the eggs and the hen, and very possessive of both. He could very well break the eggs, or the two can get into a fight. And, further, some males do not mature and will display this behavior any time a hen lays eggs.

If they were a pair, and these were his eggs, he would no doubt still have this behavior, even if you had a nest box, which, right now you sure do not want one, and to run the risk of her laying anymore eggs, let alone fertile eggs. Mated pairs can have more than one clutch of eggs at a time, because they can mate anytime, day or night, when the hen is not setting. She really needs to go through the setting process, in her own cage, with him in his own cage. No time together.I have read here on the forum, of owners having to keep pairs parted, and the male out of the nest box, and in his own cage simply because of this behavior. Evie does need a break from egg laying after this clutch.

These are my thoughts. Hopefully, someone else will stop by and give you their opinion.

I am sorry you have this challenge, Kalei, because it would be so much more peaceful of a day for you for them to get along together. Having birds is not as easy as it seems, at times. I hope this info is helpful to you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-18-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thank you for the input!! This forum is wonderful.

I will be keeping one bird in its respective cage when the other is out. Cecil continues to be super interested in Evie's eggs and will stand guard in front of them if we let him.

To ensure no breakage, just in case he does manage to enter her cage, I replaced the 6 eggs with dummies. Evie has totally taken to them. She hasn't been as interested in this clutch as the first, she seems to get off and want to wander outside of her cage more.

I will continue to post any new updates. I am hoping all will be back to normal once Evie loses interest in these eggs.

Thanks again, friends!!!
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I'd agree with letting them out seperately. I am observing a big shift in behaviour in my boys too with my friend's cockatiel staying. I think it best to let her get through this clutch and have a rest. They will be ok having separate out of cage time. Mine all run into each others cages too - so now I close them when they come out!

Please keep us updated on the progress of your flock. I am sure I'm not alone in saying I have become quite fond of them through your posts!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The dummy eggs are a great idea. They just might help to slow her egg laying for awhile. That little stinker, Cecil!! He is the guardsman???? . lol. Oh to be a bird!!