where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Penny Still Missing, Evie on Clutch #3, Cecil being Cecil

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Penny Still Missing, Evie on Clutch #3, Cecil being Cecil

Hi friends...

As the title reads... Penny is still missing. Have we given up hope? Absolutely not. We are still replacing older flyers with new ones on utility poles and street signs so people know we are still looking for our girl. We miss her every single day.

Evie is now on clutch #3. She is a rescued lutino that we only took in on March 30 so it looks as if she may be a chronic egg layer. Her last clutch ended with Egg #6 on May 16 and she began clutch #3 on June 2 and is on Egg #3. It's is so difficult when you don't know their history. However, she continues to eat a lot, both soaked and regular foods, she loves brocollini and kale and now knows to munch on her cuttlebone and mineral block and seems to be much more comfortable here. She now comes onto the sofa and comes very close to see what we're up to. She has yet to step up or come onto my shoulder but we are making progress.

And interestingly enough, she is smelling that milky smell that Penny has when she is in laying/setting mode. Not exactly unpleasant but not what is the normal, new carpet smell they usually have.

And then there's Cecil... he is still being quite a bully to Evie so I have them having their cage-free time separately or on their own cages, set farther apart on different tables. He is quite a character and has adjusted very well here. He will still stand in front of Evie's cage door, guarding the eggs any chance he gets. In time, he will make a good daddy. I am leaning toward having his wings grow out so he can have full flight. I'm finding it very sad to watch him tumble and fall on his tail each time he attempts a take off. However, right now it helps him not being able to fly after Evie and she can easily get away from him if she needs to.

I will post several new photos of these two. Our hearts are not whole without our Penny but we are surely blessed with these two.
    Last edited by majesty65; 06-06-2017 at 02:56 AM.
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Re: Penny Still Missing, Evie on Clutch #3, Cecil being Cecil

Evie...

Cecil...

And we are still searching for you, Sweet Penny...

Last edited by majesty65; 06-06-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi, Kalei!! I have been hoping you would post an update. I think of you and your two precious tiels every single day. And I still pray for and do my intentions for beautiful Penny, that she will be found and come home!

Eggs or know eggs, Evie too is beautiful. She has a loving face, and I see happiness and love written all over her. And I see the same with Cecil, he really is unique and handsome. I love the dark color feet, and his neck is a lighter yellow than most males I've seen.

I think you are doing 110% taking care of them. I love that they are eating the awesome diet you are feeding. Like you, I would want Cecil to be fully flighted. Evie is slowly but surely coming closer to you on her own. I look for her to fly to you before long. It is impossible to known her history of egg laying, but with your awesome care, I would not be too worried about her right now. As you say, perhaps in the future you can pair them and breed them. I highly suspect when that happens, Evie will settle down with her egg laying. Of course that is just an opinion, but I remember reading articles on line, when I had my Ollie, that said breeding a chronic egg layer helps, because hens love the nesting process and the eggs hatching, and taking care of their babies. And when their eggs are infertile, they just keep trying over and over to experience the whole process. Personally, I think that was so true about my Ollie. Once she got to the lady who took her, and after a period of time, she found a mate, she hatched one clutch.

I'm sending (((((hugs)))) to you, and many scritches for Evie and Cecil! I love the pics!! Take care. We will welcome updates anytime!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-06-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I love your birdies so much. Evie is just so beautiful it tugs at my heartstrings! I love lutinos. It sounds like you are taking the very best care of her and seems like she is happy. I'm so pleased she's coming to hang out with you, she is such a sweet soul. And Cecil is soooooo handsome. I'm so happy that you guys all found each other.

I still think of Penny often and hope she manages to follow her golden cord home soon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Penny has not came home yet and I think about her every time I come to Tailfeathers hoping I see a post from you that she is home. I truly am sorry you and your Mom have to go through this sorrow of losing her and the unknown of what happened to her. I pray she is alive and well somewhere and being treated with love.

Wow, that girl Evie just wont stop laying eggs and I have to think like Ellen does and think that just maybe if she had a mate, hopefully Cecil to mate with she would stop laying so many eggs. Thankfully she eats good and gets lots of nutrition for all those eggs she lays.

Both of the birds are such beautiful birds and Evies picture with her wings spread out is stunning!!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Hi friends, thank you for all your kind replies!

We are still looking for our Sweet P (Penny) and will continue doing so.

Evie has ceased her laying for now, stopped at 5 eggs on this 3rd clutch. She's doing well, slowly becoming more trusting and yesterday ate some Grape Nuts cereal from the palm of my hand! What an accomplishment! She also loves to explore more and will want to get closer if Cecil and I are doing something far from her. Today I was on the computer with Cecil on my shoulder and she flew down to the ground and walked near us to see what we were up to.

Cecil is still being his rascal self! He is so funny and loud and silly. He loves to make all sorts of sounds and is soooo intrigued when you make sounds or whistle. He will stare at your lips in awe and tap on it when you stop to say "I want to hear more!"

Here are two recent photos... I know, Evie really shouldn't be taking any baths but she was completely wet after dunking herself in Cecil's water cup the other day and just couldn't get enough of it so I decided to spritz her and she loved every minute. This pic is for Kichitai!

And here is Mr. Cecil, always the poser.

Both are doing well as can be and we are blessed to have friends are here on this board!!
    Last edited by majesty65; 06-17-2017 at 03:06 AM.
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awwww!!! They are just precious. You know, Kalei, if you had a whole aviary of cockatiels, I swear every one of them would have that happy and full of love face on them!!!!! You were given a very special gift from the universe, when it comes to caring for birds. And these two are sooo special!

It is awesome Evie has settled in now, and really is becoming very trusting, and loving you and Cecil, and is just like a piece of the furniture now. I love she is eating grapnuts right out of your hand!!! I look at her, those big beautiful red eyes, which are a sign of a beautiful Lutino, and I cannot imagine anyone purposefully letting her fly into the wild. And you are having great fun with Cecil. He is handsome,and looks soooo mischievous. Males really are great fun to have in the home. They are very smart, and always entertaining. I have no doubt one day he will start to talk and mimic sounds too.

The pics tell a loving story of these two. I am so happy that Evie has ceased the egg laying for now. Hopefully she will wait until fall for the next setting. Each month Cecil gets older and more mature, so that one day, if you decide to breed them, you will have great fun watching the process, and having new babies.

I still keep my intentions going for Penny's return, and I'm sending you hugs, and Evie and Cecil, lots of scritches. I do not think the baths will hurt her at all!

Thanks for the great update. Aloha!! Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie for the kind words and intentions for our Penny!! She is out there, we know it, and we want her HOME.

I forgot to post this one pic of Evie when she was in the evergreen trees. People who called us really thought it was Penny and as you can see, she is very high up in the trees. Ironically, right below the trees was one of Penny's missing bird flyers on a road sign. I zoomed in to take this photo and still wasn't able to tell if it was Penny--she was about 50 feet high up in the trees at this point.

We love our friends here and will continue to visit and post updates. I also love reading other topics and responses and have learned so much from here over the years.

Hugs everybody!!!!
    Last edited by majesty65; 06-17-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I sure can agree with you that it did look like beautiful Penny. I remember so well your pictures and posts of her, and I fell in love with her. I will never give up hope she will one day return home. Those rascals that have her!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh!!! I will look for updates.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Kalei, thank you for the photo of Evie! My little Kichi passed away 6 months ago today so I am feeling a bit upset, but your pic of Evie brought a smile to my face. Old Kichi loved to get drenched too, and got those silly spikes of feathers on his head.

She looks so very pleased with herself. As of course does Cecil - sounds like you're getting a great bond with him! So cute tapping your lips to say "more!"

That pic of her in the tree makes me hold my breath. I'm glad I know the outcome and that Evie is safe and sound with you.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy you got her out if that tree and saved her. I wished it was Penny but it least you saved her and have now fallen in love with her. I love her picture and Cecil is one handsome bird too.

I hope someone finds Penny so you can have peace in your heart. I cannot even imagine the huge hole in your heart of not knowing where she is.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Keep tugging on that golden cord

Remove Ads