where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New male canary doesn't get along with female

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

New male canary doesn't get along with female

I recently got a male canary for my female and everytime she gets too close to him he opens his beak and spreads out his wings to scare her away. I'm sure she's a female because she has laid eggs. I also have another male canary that is the father of my female but I keep him in a separate cage because he fights with my new male. I don't have another cage to separate all 3 of them. Is there any way to make them get along?

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: New male canary doesn't get along with female

At this time, it does not look too good. Perhaps in time it will get better, maybe not. Sorry to hear the male is unfriendly to the female. I am sure you hoped they would get along.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Bill's right. That is normal behavior for birds who are simply demonstrating a dominance thing. Basically, this is my space stay out. Now that is not bad, "AS LONG AS" they don't fight. That posturing is the stay away or we're going to fight posture. If she does back down and give him his space all is usually ok. After time they could start simply putting up with each other, then even with time get along. He is probably past breeding condition so breeding is not on his mind, and males by nature are solitary birds, so he is just claiming space.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys! Today it's the other way around, my girl will fly straight towards him spread out her wings and opens her beak until he gets out of the way. She only stops when he goes to the cage floor and as soon as he gets on a perch she starts chasing him again. She did lay an egg this morning so I'm not sure if she's just protecting her egg against the new male.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

That sounds more like, they are in breeding condition but since they don't know each other, simply have not accepted each other. Meaning some birds do accept each other to mate and some do not. This takes a little while before breeding season starts to let them see and get used to each other, thus work towards accepting each other. Sometimes they never do, meaning the hen usually for whatever reason just doesn't feel like the male is made of the stuff she wants to breed with. Besides that they are posturing right now and she does see him as an intruder not a mate. This could escalate or it could die down, depending on her. More males are killed by females than the other way around. It could take one escalation of her putting him down to make her point. This could bloody him, or it could be ok, either way it is normal and its her way of showing whose the boss. If he gives in and grants her dominance over him, or he takes on the submissive role, she will leave him alone. If he fights it, it could get nasty. This could go on for a couple of months until they start to molt, at that point they usually settle down and all is ok. If they then get through the molt together, they will bond and become a pair from then on, sort of like resolute to the situation takes over.