where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Indian ringneck

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

new Indian ringneck

Hi everyone, its my first time posting in another forum instead of the lovebird forum.

Recently my partner and I acquired an Indian ringneck bird. From what I know, he is about 10 years old, he is not tamed, and his previous owners did not want him anymore because they think he killed their female Indian ringneck. They were going to give him to the RSPCA (an animal charity in Australia) but my partner got him instead. I wasn't too happy about this at first, to be honest, as I've had my hands full with my lovebirds and do not want to take away my quality of care from them and be distracted as well as the fact that the house is really small and also because he is a bigger bird I was a little frightened for my small lovebirds too as they are very smart at escaping their cages, so at first the ringneck stayed at my partner's parents house but he was so upset about not seeing him all the time that we agreed he could be here, so the ringneck being at his parents was kind of like the quarantine period as well.

My partner named him Socrates, and he is kind of aggressive, but I understand this isn't his fault as he isn't used to humans, as he was an outdoor aviary bird, I think the previous owners made a mistake in putting the two birds together without introducing them, and perhaps they didn't like each other. They also didn't actually see anything happen they went out and came home to find their female died, so its possible socrates was defending himself. He also wasn't treated nicely as after they found the dead female, they stopped caring about him and would just go put his food in his aviary and leave him and would call him mean names when he would make noises. This is what I have heard.

We have had him for about a month now I think, he's doing well, he eats a lot, especially his vegetables, he loves corn on the cob, but with seeds he only seems to like sunflower, and with his age, it seems hard to get him to try to eat other seeds. It's hard to change his food and water bowls due to his aggressiveness, however I think its mostly bluffing, he will growl and growl and act like he wants to bite but he never goes as far as biting, but to be on the safe side when I need to change him I usually wear a glove, as I do with two of my other lovebirds in which one is a biter lol.

I think he's become part of my lovebird flock too because when we take them out of their room to clean it, he's usually the first to be wheeled into the lounge room and he starts calling out for everyone and they reply lol and the same thing too if we take one or two of the lovebirds out for playtime he starts looking around and calling for them. Since we acquired him I've put locks on all doors of all cages so now no one can escape and no needing to worry about it either and they all get playtime outside of their cages regularly in seperate groups.

I was wondering regarding Indian ringneck behaviour, what does it mean when he twists his head / neck around a lot? The pet store around here said it means his nervous, is that true? He tends to do it when I'm going to change his food and water and I have a glove on, or when his blanket goes on his cage at nighttime or sometimes he just does it randomly.

And does anyone here have reference lists of their sounds and meanings? I understand that all birds make their own unique sounds but sometimes there are similarities which I've found to be true with lovebirds, like their sounds for daytime napping are really similar even though the voices are a little different. Socrates makes a screaming sound every morning when we raise the curtains to let the light in. And throughout the day he will sometimes make that sound (almost like "waw waw waw) and sometimes there is a sound he makes which almost sounds like a cross between laughing and a monkey.

I've attached photos as follows:

http://imgur.com/a/rOmRz

Any information is appreciated I've heard ringnecks make wonderful companions, I'm not sure if its too late to tame him as he's already 10 years old, but even if not, he will be looked aftered.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long post!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Re: new Indian ringneck

Hi Laila. I'm far from an expert on ringnecks but I do have a young ringneck so i guess a little experience. Mine was handraised and not had the rough history yours had. I'm really glad he has a good home in you guys.

They can be pretty noisy and are great talkers and mimicers. My bird, instead of the waw waw waw sound, sort of says "borp borp borp" while she is talking to you. She gives plenty of warning of she's unhappy, the first sign is usually the eye pinning, though it can also mean excitement.

When you say head turning - do you mean a fast repetitive movement? Not turning and tucking head away for sleep?

I think time and patience are on your side. They are VERY smart birds, and he may never come totally tame, however I suspect with kind and consistent handling he will improve. Good luck - please keep us updated

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

P.S. just looked at the pics, he's such a handsome boy!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 1,045 Posts

Congrats, Laila! He is gorgeous. I think Ringnecks are one of the most unique and special species. Having gotten to know you here, I have no doubt you will succeed with him. It is totally unacceptable and cruel for bird owners to mistreat and abuse them. And sadly, I fear there are far too many out there. But, it is amazing what LOVE does for all birds, and especially ones that are abused or have special needs. They are full of courage, and will become our best friends in time.

Time and patience are on your side. I expect to read great posts about him and your lovies!
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Indian Ringneck is a great bird to have. They are hard to find one to buy where I live. Used to be 2 shops that carried them, but they have closed.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

One of the most common birds here.
    Very beautiful and interesting bird, but hard to tame when they're not young, but if your other birds are not afraid of you it will be of great help.
    I used to have ringneck now I have moustached who are in the same family, Psittacula

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies!

Sammy, the head movement is very fast, not the tucking away one, which he does when he has naps. Does your ringneck also do the fast movements too? We were told it means his nervous, and sometimes he does it in a situation where he should feel nervous like when changing his food or water (sometimes instead of the head movement he just growls and moves his head closer to show he will bite lol). Your ringneck sounds like she's so adorable! Socrates also does the eye pinning as well, he will do it if I'm really close to him so I'm pretty sure thats the unhappy pinning, and he does it when he's next to his swing where he can see his reflection, in which I think he thinks its another bird because he grooms himself with it, so I'm guessing thats the excited pinning and he also makes small soft chirpy noises when he's next to the swing pinning his eyes too. I wish I could describe his sounds, he has a particular, chorus I could say perhaps? It's almost like a nicer song version of a fire engine or ambulance sound accompanied by the aforementioned monkey sounds. I might try to find youtube videos online and see if one matches closely with his sounds, everytime I try to record mine he stops his chattering and comes over to stare at my phone or growl lol Another sound he makes is like the bird version of a human saying "ooo!" like when we would perhaps say ooo, when we have maybe realised something that we never realised before.

Ellen, thank you for the kind words, I agree, it makes me really sad to know or fear for the poor mistreated birds in the world, I just always hope that they all get the beautiful peaceful lives that they all deserve. Even when they don't become tame, somehow I feel like deep down, they know if they are being taken care of even if they don't show it and just act aggressive or so.

Thanks to Bill and Stephane as well! I have heard, also that they are quite expensive to buy as well! My other birds, some are afraid, but some of them are either semi tamed or are not tamed but do not flap everywhere when I'm near but will rather just look at me for a second and then go back to whatever business they were getting up to It will be hard to tame socrates, and I'm not sure if it will ever happen, but I feel that he is happy, he always goes and eats his vegetables when he sees new ones there and always starts chirping with the lovebirds when they start chirping too.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I think as long as he seems happy enough, interested in his food and drink and the world around him, and has enough to keep him occupied, then his lot in life has improved, and I think they kinda do know that they are being taken care of.

I have heard some parrots can head shake for no known particular reason but that it's not an overly bad thing. Perhaps your fella is trying to keep an eye on as many things as he can, if he's a bit worried about his surroundings andmaking growls too.

Loved reading about all his noises, they are certainly characters!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I've also heard about parrots shaking their heads for no particular reason. Thats possible, it would make sense to be keeping an eye out, but when he does it, its almost as if he doesn't look at anything, he's like looking at the ceiling when he does it. Sometimes he will climb to the top of the cage and start doing it. I think its possibly related to nervousness as the pet store lady mentioned (she is quite knowledgeable), but I think it can be something else too. I'm going to keep observing the situations in which it occurs and see if I can find the best reason behind it!

They make such funny and cute little noises, and are so random!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I'd be interested to know what you end up thinking it is!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Socrates is a beautiful bird and even if he never is tame I know he will mellow out being with you. It sounds like he has never had much time with humans and he just does not trust them. If he were my bird I would sit by his cage all the time and talk softly to him. Put a small treat cup in his cage that you can drop a little food into through the bars and sit there and eat food with him and drop a little bit of the food into his cup and hopefully he will come to it and eat beside you. Time is your best friend and I am confident in time he will it least calm down and feel comfortable enough to eat food you give him through the cage bars.

I would be very worried with him around the lovebirds. Lovies are such little snoops and no doubt if they had a chance they would hop onto his cage and want to snoop around and Socrates could possibly bite them through the bars. But I know you are protective of your lovebirds and I am sure you will keep them safe from Socrates.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Humlae
    Thanks

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Laila, how is Socrates going?

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Sammy, its so nice to see you on here again!

Socrates is doing really well, and believe it or not, from being an outdoor aviary bird without human contact, he is now enjoying scratches from my partner and even willingly hops onto his shoulders! We were amazed to see this, as he is 10 years old and was fairly aggressive at first too. I think its due to my partner regularly getting him and giving him scratches, even though he would try to get away from him lol, I think after all that he eventually realised that this man is going to give him scratches so decided to want to come out of the cage for his scratches. He is still aggressive in the cage when changing his food and water bowls, but not as bad, just his usual bluffing growls because we are taking his containers away and he doesnt like it.

At the moment is is moulting and its the first time I've seen it happen, it is really noticeable with ringnecks, he looks like he had bald patches around his face the poor thing, we were worried at first but the lady we buy our French millet from said its normal and that all her ringnecks are also moulting the exact same way at the moment too, and my partner holds him a lot and has said he can feel the new feathers coming through as well, I feel bad for the little thing though, it wasn't this noticeable with the lovebirds, apart from fluffs of feathers on the floor and bottoms of the cage.

How are your little cockatiels and ringneck too? Are they also moulting? I'm surprised socrates is moulting in summer when its technically breeding season.

I hope your little fids are doing well too and I can't wait to hear an update on them!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Ah excellent! Time, patience and kindness win! Well dome I'm so pleased to hear he is settling in.

What you say about moulting is interesting. My cockatiels moulted in spring and got it all out of the way. The ringneck is, like yours, suddenly and drastically moulting midsummer. Perhaps it is our climate. Ashy has pulled out her long blue tailfeathers from moulting and seems a bit embarrassed about her temporarily short stubby tail!

Remove Ads