where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Indian ringneck

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: new Indian ringneck

Aww poor little Ashy! Socrates had the same thing, his tail was really long and my partner was even commenting on how long it was getting previously, but now with the moulting he has pulled most of the tail feathers out and its small again, and he looks even smaller himself poor little thing! Sammy I think you are right maybe it is the climate. It has definitely been unseasonably hot where I am, when usually its pretty mild and cooler.

Ringnecks must really cop the moulting more than other birds! I hope it doesnt last too long.

Thanks Deanna for the recommendations! I remember you mentioning the red palm oil previously in some other threads too. We have been regularly bathing socrates to help relieve him a bit as he must feel uncomfortable and itchy with all this moulting and new feathers growing. I'll have to look for this red palm oil though.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Yeah it is a fast, repetitive movement. I think I uploaded a video of Socrates doing it in one of my threads about him, and he was running back and forth at the same time. Some days he does it a lot, and some days he seems more calm and just relaxes. He also does the tucking his head away and sleeping thing too so its a different neck / head turning thing. He definitely has improved from being an outdoor aviary bird to willingly coming out and hopping onto human hands.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi everyone!

I thought I would put a quick update on socrates over here on his own thread, that way I can use my lovebird thread to only talk about the lovebirds

Socrates is doing well. He still loves his fruit and vegetables but is picky about his vegetables. He has especially started to love pomegranate! We weren't sure if the birds could eat it, and had to double check to make sure it was safe, but since socrates first tried it he absolutely loves it. We only give pomegranate to the big birds. Socrates also seems to like Percy, the new superb parrot as well. If we put their cages near each other and facing each other they will eat together from their own bowls. We haven't tried letting them outside together yet though. But for now they seem to enjoy talking to each other.

However, he does seem a little bit more crankier than usual. I have found that most days he will be screaming and I have no idea why. And he still runs around his cage. He is quite noisy sometimes, And its not the happy noises but his angry noises. If it is because he wants to play with the smaller birds then that is not happening lol. He still adores kovu the lovebird and will screech like crazy if we are playing with her outside of her cage. He does get on my nerves sometimes when he screams his cranky screams for no reason, but I don't really know what else to do. Sometimes it starts fro the moment his blanket comes off and he will get his fruit and vegetables and eat it for 2 minutes before screaming again. Lucky our house is at the front of the block and separates by two garages so that no one can hear the noise. He wasn't like this before. I do wonder if it is percy, but if I remember correctly the constant screaming started a little before Percy arrived.

But anyway he also still tries to bathe in his smaller water bowl even though he has a larger bowl for bathing. I think he likes to copy the lovebird. Hopefully Percy can teach him to bath in his bigger bowl, it would just be easier for him! Every time I see him bathing I call my partner to come to the room so he can give him a bath and he comes running to give him a bath lol. He also has a toy that most of the lovebird have, but a bigger version of it and he has played with it as well, he sees them playing with it and chewing it so he copies them and will play with his toy and when he gets something from the toy he dips it in his water to chew it as well, just like the little ones.

Here is a recent photo of socrates, I think I disturbed him while he was eating his fruits :P You can also see a bit of Koko the lovebird behind him as well, this was a few weeks ago, we have since moved his cage to the other side of the room, next to nala and iki and the conures instead:

Remove Ads