where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Sun Conure, Tips?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

New Sun Conure, Tips?

Hi there! I just got my brand new baby yesterday. I'm not a new bird owner, but I am a new conure owner. The first night home honestly went great. We got home and I put him in his new cage and then left him alone as we went to dinner. Once I got home that night he was screeching and talking and exploring the cage so I opened the door and he let me get him out and we had some time together just cuddling on the bed and on the computer. He was preening my hair and ears for about an hour until I eventually had to pick him off to put him back in the cage. I'm just a little put off because now today he's not as chatty or friendly as he was last night haha. He is much more hesitant and if I put my hand in the cage and climbs up to a corner and stays there. I don't want to reach in and just grab him (gently) but that's what the girl who works for the breeder did to get him out of the cage with the others for me. She was very sweet with him and he takes food from hands no problem as he was hand fed, but he's scared of hands that reach towards him with no food.

I guess my long winded question is do I continue to move at HIS pace and only try and bring him out and pet him when he's ready or do I get a little pushy (might be the wrong word) and just GENTLY try for a few minutes every day to follow him around the cage and used to my hand and being touched and handled? I'm sorry if it's a silly question. I'm just so afraid of doing something wrong

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New Sun Conure, Tips?

I have always been a little pushy with birds and so far never had one hate me for doing it. I usually actually just open the birds cage and let them get out of the cage when they want to and once they are out there usually are more interested into hopping on your finger. You can also put some food treat in your palm of you hand and they usually hop onto it to eat it.

I bet your Conure is a real cutie pie. I keep thinking if I ever decide to get another bird it is going to be a Sun Conure. They truly are such cute birds and I the one I spent time with a long time ago was active and also a bit of a lover bird which was great.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Perhaps you could try some millet sprays to encourage him to not be worried of your hands?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I seen a video once on Facebook about how to tame a bird and the guy recommended keeping your hand in the cage for a couple hours and talk to the bird. It sounds kind of silly but the bird might get curious and come explore your hand. hope this helps a little. Congrats on the new feather baby!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 1,018 Posts

Hi and welcome to the communuty. Time and patience are always on your side. You were very fortunate to get your bond started as it went the first day. That was a real plus for starters. But it is quite common for them to be unsure of you and their new environment. All birds are unsure of hands, especially for the first few days. The millet sprigs Stephane mentioned are a great tool to get them used to your hands. Extend your arm out with the millet in your hand. Extend the piece of millet out so he can eat off the top, but your hand will not be too close to him. Do this exercise several times a day. And when he is out of cage, try the millet when he is close to you, or perching on your finger.

I think over time, he will get used to you, and having been hand fed and socialized, will soon trust you. We will welcome your updates and pictures anytime.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi and welcome to the communuty. Time and patience are always on your side. You were very fortunate to get your bond started as it went the first day. That was a real plus for starters. But it is quite common for them to be unsure of you and their new environment. All birds are unsure of hands, especially for the first few days. The millet sprigs Stephane mentioned are a great tool to get them used to your hands. Extend your arm out with the millet in your hand. Extend the piece of millet out so he can eat off the top, but your hand will not be too close to him. Do this exercise several times a day. And when he is out of cage, try the millet when he is close to you, or perching on your finger.

I think over time, he will get used to you, and having been hand fed and socialized, will soon trust you. We will welcome your updates and pictures anytime.
    Thank you all! The second night went well also and he asked to be let out and we had some time together as well. I am worried for today because, with it being a holiday in the US, I am away from home and BBQing with family. Phoenix (my Sun) is home alone but we have remodeling going on at the house right now with loud noises and machines. Me and my fiancée keep coming back and checking on him, and he SEEMS okay each time, but I'll be really anxious tonight to return home once the construction guys have gone home and see how he does and if he'll want to spend any time together tonight or will be too freaked/nervous.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

How did he respond to you last night and today?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

How did he respond to you last night and today?
    Good! I'm so thrilled! I bought him two new toys yesterday and he got SUPER happy when he saw the giant blocks and rope one. That's what got him out of the cage last night. We played with the new toys and worked a little bit on more step up and cuddling. He's still not thrilled with getting pets but he doesn't bite hard when I do it, he just moves away or nibbles my fingers. I also tried to give him a bath last night in the sink and I can't tell if he enjoyed it or not haha. Afterwards I put him back and it was late and all the fireworks kept going off so I don't know if he was shaking from fear or cold or both. But this morning he was good before I left for work very screechy and talkative and coming up to my hand and finger through the bars hesitantly. I couldn't love him more already though! I can't wait for a few more weeks to go by and see how he does.

Only thing I'm concerned for now is that his cage is currently in our bedroom but once remodeling is done we want to move him to the living room. Hopefully the change doesn't set us back

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope moving his cage does not change him either. Hopefully the workers doing the remodel are careful not to use any kind of toxic things in your house. If It were my bird I would tempted to put a towel on the bottom of the door and on days they are using toxic stuff I would put tape around the door so no odors got into your room. They are so sensitive to airborn things.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Birds just have a way of wrapping their heart strings right around our hearts! I totally know the feeling. Quite honestly, if possible, I would leave him in your bedroom for a few more weeks. It is stressful for them to move from one place to another. His behavior could change by moving him.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Phoenix is adjusting as well as can be (I hope/think!). He is still very nervous/doesn't like being petted/cuddled in any way unless I have him out of the cage and on my hand. We are working every day on step up and getting more and more used to hands. It's funny because he isn't face shy at all, but he is hand shy. You can put your face right up to him and ask for a kiss and he'll give one with a happy chirp, but if you try and touch him anywhere he gives a squawk like "Nope!" and steps away. It gets hard because I just want to cuddle and snuggle him like the breeder did haha, but I know it will come in time as he gets more and more comfortable (my hope, anyways).

Any advice for how I can get him used to touches/pets? I understand some birds just don't like it/won't ever like it, it depends on the individual, but with him being a Sun I assume I have a slightly better chance of him being a bit more receptive to it?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

All birds are afraid of hands, especially when it is someone new to them. The breeder was with him for quite awhile. Time and patence will win for you. It has been a short time since you got him. He really is doing awesome at this point in time. Use the millet I suggested in my prior post. Do not attempt to touch him during this exercise. Practice this exercise often. I think before long he will feel more trusting of your hands, and not be as afraid. And will allow you to touch him.

And when you touch him, only touch his head and face area, and never other parts of the body other than the feet and head because touching causes hormonal behavior, and even though he is still very young, at about 9-12 months of age his hormones will kick in, and you do not want that to happen at a younger age. You see, he will consider you as his mate. All birds consider us as their mate and respond to us with hormonal behavior. And we do not want to encourage it by improper touching.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-09-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

All birds are afraid of hands, especially when it is someone new to them. The breeder was with him for quite awhile. Time and patence will win for you. It has been a short time since you got him. He really is doing awesome at this point in time. Use the millet I suggested in my prior post. Do not attempt to touch him during this exercise. Practice this exercise often. I think before long he will feel more trusting of your hands, and not be as afraid. And will allow you to touch him.

And when you touch him, only touch his head and face area, and never other parts of the body other than the feet and head because touching causes hormonal behavior, and even though he is still very young, at about 9-12 months of age his hormones will kick in, and you do not want that to happen at a younger age. You see, he will consider you as his mate. All birds consider us as their mate and respond to us with hormonal behavior. And we do not want to encourage it by improper touching.
    Thank you for your advice. I have been practicing with him with treats (coated sunflower seeds and dried fruits) which he loves and takes from my fingers/palms with no real hesitation, but I'll back off on the attempting to touch his beak/face when doing so for a while. It's insane who quickly I've fallen in love with him and it's only been a week.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Every day you will see him relax somewhat. And I am sure he will allow you to touch him very soon.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

If it helps, my indian ringneck has only just this week allowed me to scritch her neck. I think it's been about 4 or 5 months! One of my cockatiels was completely snuggly from day 1, and the other still isn't into being touched. They are all different!

Remove Ads