where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Evie's Been on Dummy Eggs for 26 Days

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Evie's Been on Dummy Eggs for 26 Days

Hi friends!

My question is should I be concerned that Evie will still sit on her eggs throughout the night, after 26 days? Her last egg #5 was laid on June 9. She will rarely show interest in them during the day but it's almost as if being on her eggs when it starts getting dark is comforting to her, she will head back into her cage and situate herself comfortably on them. I do not want to trigger another clutch if I take these away right now. I'm sure it's not too much of an issue since she has stopped laying for now and since they are dummy eggs there is no risk for bacteria, yet it does worry me some.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Re: Evie's Been on Dummy Eggs for 26 Days

Well as luck would have it, Evie laid an egg when I started this post. Argh!!!

I removed her egg and 4 of the dummies and left 1 dummy in. How ironic and heartbreaking at the same time.

I introduced the wrought iron cage yesterday and this may have started her up again as she was quite frightened to see it near. Today she ventured inside but I decided to not have them use it because she has a very difficult time getting around since the wrought iron is slippery and she has her 2 missing toe tips that can't seem to grasp the bars well, making her panic.

Oh well, it was about time I tried and it's too bad it won't work! Cecil loved the cage and explored it the minute I set it down but I can't have them use it if Evie will have issues moving about.
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Hi, Kalei. I feel you made a good decision to forego using the wrought iron cage, and keep the two of them in their respective cages they have been using.

I must have misunderstood a post you wrote, because I thought you had taken her eggs away after the 21 days. I did not know she still had them. If hens keep setting for long periods of time, they will replace the eggs again and again. It seems to me that the dummies are not working to curtail the laying. I remember a conversation we had about Penny concerning the dummies, and it seems to me the last clutch she laid, you decided to let her have all of her real eggs, and not use the dummies, and that had worked for her until she went missing.

So, here is what I would consider doing with Evie now. However please know, this is just my own thoughts and opinions, and you have to decide your next steps for her.

I would put her back in her first cage. And I would keep Cecil out of it. I would allow the two to fly free, but not be in each others cages, because his homones will be affected by her egg laying, and mating will be on both of their minds. And watch them carefully for signs of mating. Now if you would be interested in breeding them, then go to the pet shop and get a nest box, and put it in her old cage. And put the real egg she laid in the box, remove any dummy eggs, and let Cecil live with her, in her cage.

Quite honestly, I think Evie is going to keep laying eggs until she mates, and hatches babies. There is info that I have read on the web, that seems to support this idea that a hen being allowed to mate and hatch her babies will slow down the constant egg laying.

You have fed her well, given her plenty of calcium, and she has settled into your home, and is a very happy bird.

Now the alternative, if you do not want to breed her then I would proceed without the box, and the dummies. . Either way rearrange the inside of her cage and clean it well. And then, if you decide to use a nest box, put it in her cage. And put the two birds in the cage.

It appears Evie is not going to abandon her eggs, in the 21 day incubation window. So' after about 15-18 days, I would take the eggs away from her. I think this whole scenario is due to having a male with her, and she really is looking to have real babies.

In the meantime, after you decide the next step, keep giving her the great foods, but no soft foods, nor eggs to eat. Plenty of fresh veggies and calcium, increase her sleep hours if you do not want to breed her, and change out her toys, rearrange the cage, and make her forge for foods, and keep them apart. Is there any chance the two mated, and she laid that egg as a result? And, remove all the dummies and all the old real eggs immediately. Give her the new egg only. Whether dummy or real, eggs signal nesting and setting for hens. Nature has created them to procreate, time and again.

I am sending you hugs and many scritches for Evie and Cecil! Birds will be birds!! Arrrrrr! Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-05-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I know nothing about girl birds and laying so I cannot give you any advice. I just wanted to let you know I am sorry she will not stop laying eggs. This has to stress you out lots because I sure know I would be stressed out if I were you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads