where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: African Grey kept in disgusting conditions Help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rebekah
    Thanks

African Grey kept in disgusting conditions Help

How do I tell someone that the way they keep their beautiful bird is disgraceful!
    The African grey is approx 25 years old. No foot ring. From the info i have , the bird used to come out if it's cage and sit on the sofa and talk a lot. I'm not sure what happened but now it is kept in the laundry room, which is pretty dark with no fresh air, in a fairly large cage, with a metal perch and a very dusty old wooden toy. I've only met the parrot once and it is quite friendly but shy and has pulled its feathers out at the front.
    The reason I'm writing this is that I've just found out that the owners have gone away for a week and have someone coming in to look after the dog but not the parrot!!! I'm so angry and sad! Can I call RSPCA? Would they actually do any thing?

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Re: African Grey kept in disgusting conditions Help

If it were me, I'd go and buy some toys and other essientials. Not too many, just a few to show them you care. Tell them you're willing to help out by providing info on correct care, or if you're willing to take the bird in, tell them so. Tell them they will be welcome to come visit the bird whenever. Tell them you're doing this out of the love of birds and it's coming from your heart. You're not tying to be mean, but trying to give the bird the best life possible. Give them time to up there game. If you find out that the bird is treated the same, tell them you're going to be calling RSPCA (or whoever you call) unless they change the way the bird is being cared for. Then I would call someone. Keep at it til something is done.
    5.5.1 Cockatiels.
    Jack, Buddy, Jonny, Nuggetand Vivian.
    Winter, Olly, Becky, Kellie,and Sassy.
    Maple.

1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rebekah
    Thanks

So, I gave my mother in law some seed sticks and a toy for the parrot to give to her friend and she came back with them and said, thankyou very much but he's dosnt like the sticks and the toy just gets chewed up and makes a mess!!!!!!!!! Speechless!!!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

That's so sad, the poor parrot. He must be getting so bored especially with nothing to chew on!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor bird. I feel bad for it too especially since it use to be a out of the cage kind of bird and now it is stuck in the laundry room with nothing to do. Poor bird does deserve a better life. I find it hard to believe they would not take the toys to give it something to do. I too would be tempted to let someone know that might actually go talk to them about mistreating there bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

That is so unfair! Thats what birdies do, whether big or small, they like to chew! If they don't like the mess, then they shouldn't have a birdie. But there are ways to stop the mess, like no mess bird feeders and cage covers for the bottoms of the cages to stop too much mess going onto he floor or carpet. I sweep the carpet everyday after my birdies, I am their slave Only takes a few minutes, and I only have one of those cheap dustpans with a brush. I'm not sure what the RSPCA would do, but we have the RSPCA in Australia as well, and I've seen in their centres signs mentioning a phone number and reporting animal cruelty, but I'm not sure of the process. I know that when they do obtain animals, they have an application process on adopting them, and they always ask questions like what other pets you have and if you rent or own your house, so I think they would be careful auto who they give their animals to, especially birds.But tats over here, I'm not sure if the process is the same where you are but I would hope so. Maybe you could tell that person you would like to buy the bird from them? If you were wanting to that is. I hope that bird will be ok.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rebekah
    Thanks

Unfortunately I'm can't offer to have the parrot at the moment as I have my own 3 and a baby! I'll wait afew weeks then I'll call the rscpca for advice. I am told they have to investigate all calls. I don't want to start a family dispute on this. As I know my mother in law would easily take her friends side, because they have no clue how to keep pets and she really thinks she's doing nothing wrong.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

That is understandable especially when its family related, and understandable you have three of your own already and a little baby. That might be a nice idea, to start with getting advice from the rspca. Maybe the website will have information on what they do as well. If you have time also, keep offering toys or different food for the amazon bird. Maybe you could say oh, my animals love this you have got to try it with the amazon he will love it and only takes a few minutes to quickly sweep the floor! if they still won't budge then it might be better for the rspca to step in and hopefully find this amazon a nicer home. I really hope everything goes well! Please do keep us updated. You are a very kind person to have concern for this beautiful bird.

Remove Ads