Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Did the vet know you feed pellets? I ask that question because I had read that birds on pellets do not need vitamins. You might consider calling her and asking her if it is OK to give the vitamins since you do feed pellets. Also, most vitamin bottles say to mix the vitamins in the water, but they can make the water go rancid pretty fast, so you might decide to put a few drops of vitamins in the seed cup mix about once a week or every ten days.

I know so well the fear of egg binding. I had a female single hen cockatiel who laid eggs all of the time, and I sure worried about her. I gave her lots of leaf lettuce, and she are lots of calcium.

It sure sounds like they are doing well. The male probably will not spend much time in the nest until the eggs begin to hatch.

If possible, if it were me, I would not move the nest box, because the hen may not like that at all, and you do not want her to abandon the nest and eggs.
    Yes, the vet is the one who told me to do pellets (about 70-80% pellets, with the rest in seeds, each day - I had no idea that birds needed more than just seeds. ) I called the vet's office yesterday to get her opinion, and she gave me the name of the two vitamins, one of which is the AviVita Plus that I ordered from Amazon. She also suggested that once the babies are weaned, to bring her in to have her checked-out and levels tested. Thanks for the heads-up on putting it in the water, because that's what I was going to do. We'll try to sprinkle in the food instead.

I guess I'll have to clean the cage differently for awhile, because I am concerned, like you said, about her abandoning the nest. When it's time to clean their cage, I usually put them into a smaller, spare cage, and take the large cage outside to scrub, wipe, hose down, and dry. I'll just have to leave her and nesting box inside of the cage and work around the nesting box for awhile, inside of the house. No biggie! Anything for our potential little lovie babies!
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,306 Posts

It is entirely up to the caregiver and if we have a Vet, to consult about pellets. I have read where some owners feed 80% seed to 20% pellets. Seeds are natures food, and for sure you would not see a parrot of any kind eating pellets in the wild. But also, you would not see birds caged in the wild. Maybe that is why vets recommend pellets The pellet frenzy has been around for about 10-15 years now, but I think some of the new found feeding pellets thing has decreased in popularity somewhat, because folks are finding a good seed diet and feeding fresh veggies and fruits are their best choice.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Its odd how different vets are when it comes to a bird diet. My again vet comes from a very well known colleague (UCD Davis) and is a mentor for new avain vets coming out if that collage. She says a nice even diet of a good seed mix, a good pellet and good for them people food is the best. She also stressed to serve them all of it and let the bird choose what to eat. Boomer ate it all usually but some days he just wanted one thing to eat. Tikki my daughters Conure gets the same and he eats it all everyday. We all wished all the birds would eat as good as Tikkim
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Hehe - if I did that Dea, Sammy would eat nothing but millet and safflower seeds!

He gets pellets all day, everyday in his dish - and seeds go in forage toys etc so get him moving

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Yes, we are supposed to offer fresh veggies and fruits, too, but we don't do it everyday. Especially since Scout has been spending the majority of her time in her box.

Last night, I tried to take her out of the box and cage and feed her one-on-one, without Sprite and Skye around, but she wasn't having it. She wanted back into the cage. I've been putting some millet sprays in the box with her, and I am fairly that Sprite has been feeding her.

As of yesterday eve, Scout has FOUR eggs. Four! Little mama bird must be tired! I hope that the laying ends soon. I've read that they can lay up to 8 eggs, but there are rare instances of more, and that the bird "knows" when she's laid enough. Can I tell her that's enough? Would she listen?

Again, any advice from those who have experienced this is greatly appreciated!
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, you have to be mother nature to tell her...enough eggs!!!!!. It really is best if you do not try handling her, or disturbing her or the nest. They do not like it at all, and you can run the risk of her abandoning the nest and eggs.
    I would have some fresh veggies in a cup, or a plate with some on the cage floor or close to the nest box. Veggies help a lot to keep the poops more loose, because they have water content, and all birds who eat pellets need lots of water. No doubt she is not getting as much water while nesting, and she really needs more water each day, because the inside of the egg has a good percentage of water. The millet will help somewhat because it does have moisture, but I would try different approaches to get her to eat more fresh veggies and fruits.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I'll see if I can fit a smaller food bowl into the nesting box. The box is a fairly good size - I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but it's supposed to be sized for lovies. If I can't fit that inside the box, I'll put it on the cage bottom, like you suggested.

Meanwhile, I'm just a mixture of excited and scared. Excited about new loves, worried about Mama's health. *sigh* These little birds!
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Quits honestly, I would not put a bowl in the nest box. Your hen could even set in it as a nest. Then, she may lay eggs in it. And the box will not have any room in the bottom for eggs and babies either. She very well may be coming out of the nest box at night while you are sleeping. She has to be getting some water, if only a small amount, or she would not be alive. If it were me, I would refrain from any contact with the hen or her nest. Checking her on occasion is OK, but it is best to let her take care of her eggs without any intervention.

I would try the options I mentioned in my last post, putting cups on the cage floor close to the box.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Lovebirds are beautiful birds. Their babies, if it happens, would also look good. Overall, you seem to know about birds. When your bird gets a little older, it will be easier to determine the sex.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I did put the bowl in the box with veggies, but then I took it out. She actually went after it like it posed a threat, and I realized that if she knocked it over, there would be veggies mixed in with her nesting materials - not good!

Occasionally she does come out, and she may doing it when I'm not home during the day. She came out of the box yesterday eve to get more shredded newspaper, so I used the opportunity to peek inside ... And - sure enough - she laid egg #5! I don't even know which emoticon to use!
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

. It is very exciting to have a hen nesting and thinking about the new hatchlings! The duck is representing all the eggs she is laying. I feel you have fed her well, and her immunity is tops right now, which will sure help to insure success of hatching some or all of the eggs. If all these eggs hatch, the parents will be super busy caring for this big family!!

We will watch for updates.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Update:

For those keeping track with us, Scout DID lay egg #6 on Thursday. Oh boy! And girl. And probably another boy ... Well, you get the idea. Anyway, I will be checking today to see if she has stopped or if we have #7. I'm hoping that's it for now!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Wow!!!!!!!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! She is really loving her adventure. No doubt about it Hens love to nest and set on their eggs! Thanks for the update.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I think we have a final count! She did not lay any eggs over the weekend, so that keeps our total at 6!

Scout is so darn cute! Still a Biteyface, though now she has a reason to be; she's gotta protect those eggs! She spends MOST of her time in the box, but she does come out to get more paper for her nest from time to time. When I cleaned the cage Saturday, she came out for a little bit, but spent most of the time on top of her cage. She did eat a few pellets/seeds.
    Jennifer M.