Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    No worries, about pair setting on eggs and breaking them. Their little bum parts are especially made by nature to set on the eggs, before they hatch, so I would think it would be quite unexpected for either of the pair to set on the unhatched eggs, and break them, because the egg is full of a growing embryo that fills up inside of egg.

Is there much nesting material in the box? It is my view and opinion to not have a great amount in the box, because the babies are so tiny, they can "get lost" in too much nesting material and suffocate. Also, sometimes the parents can set on a baby, but that is rare. If it were me, I would have very little nesting material in the box. The budgie pair I bred had no nesting material in the box ever, even after the 4 eggs all hatched.

This info is just my own opinion. The caregiver must always be the one to decide how they wish to care for their birds, eggs laid, and hatchlings.

Scout has put lots of shredded paper into the box. I wondered about that, too - when/if an egg hatches, they could get lost in it all. But I read something online about breeding lovebirds, and it said that there should be a good bit of nesting material on the bottom of the box, because if not, the babies could get splayed legs from sitting on the flat bottom. I wish I could remember which website it was on; I'll have to check again tonight. Has anyone else heard this?
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    Scout is still very young himself, and very cute. But he is still older than Sprite, who is recently born and already very cute. You have a couple young, pretty birds with years left to enjoy.
    Sprite (green with orange forehead) is 2 years old. Scout (egg-layer, yellow with red face) is just at a year. Skye (dark green, with yellow forehead and blue tailfeathers) is less than a year and in a cage by his/herself. Hoping to keep a baby from this clutch as a "friend" for Skye.

I know it's confusing! Especially since they all begin with a letter "S"! And it's not just the birds; ALL of our critters start with the letter "S". Sometimes I go to call animal, and I have to go thru the list until I get to the right one.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jenn4turtles View Post
    But I read something online about breeding lovebirds, and it said that there should be a good bit of nesting material on the bottom of the box, because if not, the babies could get splayed legs from sitting on the flat bottom. I wish I could remember which website it was on; I'll have to check again tonight. Has anyone else heard this?
    That's right, even for the birds who don't use materials to build their nest I add a bedding of hemp shavings.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketcha View Post
    That's right, even for the birds who don't use materials to build their nest I add a bedding of hemp shavings.
    It was on parrotparrot.com. Scout had already laid her eggs before I saw it, so I didn't put anything on the bottom under her strips of twisted newspaper. The article states that you can carefully remove the nest/eggs, lay down additional bedding, and then put the nest/eggs back, but I'm hesitant to do that. There's a layer of strips under the eggs, but I don't know if it's thick enough.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Some of my nests

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Aaaawwwwww ... Look at those little precious babies!

I think I'll need to add more to the bottom, then. Not sure how well the parents-to-be are going to take it, but I think I need to.
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,277 Posts

Just my opinion. I would not be trying to put the nesting material in as yet. My concern is that disturbing the nest now, when any day an egg may hatch, could cause the hen to abandon her nest. Then, none of the eggs will have her warmth, and could very well not hatch, plus, mom, may not feed them, when and if eggs hatch.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Ok, folks! I have awesome news!!

Every day I check the box, usually several times a day. As of Sunday afternoon, the 6 little eggs were there. Then at 10 pm, I checked the box while I was getting ready to cover the cage for the eve, and I found a baby! A little, tiny, beautiful baby! The first egg has hatched! I posted a couple pics in my album this morning, so be sure to check it out. I am hoping that mom (and maybe dad?) are feeding him/her, but I haven't actually seen them do so. Of course, they're in the nesting box, so I may be missing it.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

It's a great news Don't worry, sometimes it can take around twenty hours before the first feeding.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Yayyy!!!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,277 Posts

Yaaaaaay!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Woot!! I am very excited for you. Thanks for the pictures.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Do you have posted a picture of the male, sorry I can't find it

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

There is a pic of him in the album. He is standing outside of the nesting box, and Scout is inside of the box. He is green with a peach forehead. He was our first and he was handfed. He is a sweetheart!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Update on the baby bird: (I also added pics to the album)

He/she seems to be doing well. Lots of wiggling and movement. I haven't seen either parent feeding him, but his crop looked like he has eaten. The little baby is SO cute! It's hard to resist holding him, but I don't want to risk mom to abandoning him. Also, he looks so fragile!

Last night, while Mama Scout was outside of the nesting box, we tried "candling" the remaining 5 eggs to see whether or not there was baby inside, using a flashlight. Sadly, I don't think there's a chick in any of them. We could see a white egg sac on one end and the rest was yellow. Based on what I saw in my research, the 5 eggs are not hatching. I'm a little bummed out, but it's going to be ok. For now, I'm leaving the eggs in the nest, because (1) the baby sleeps in/on them, (2) I want to give them extra time in case I'm wrong, and (3) I don't want Scout to try and replace them so soon. All and all, our little baby is doing well.
    Jennifer M.

Remove Ads