Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Just an update:

So far, both are doing well. They are still in separate cages, but the cages are next to each other. They do chat together.

In the late evening, I take them both out of their cages and spend time with them. Well, I try to. Scout is very focused on Sprite, and Sprite ... Sprite flies to get away from her, and since she can't fly, she can't follow, so I'm fairly sure he does it on purpose. Sometimes they run around my living room floor together.

I've noticed some beak touching between the two, but I'm not sure whether it's completely friendly or not. They both have a "tennis shoe" toy that we bought from the bird show. The shoe is about 2 inches long, and they like to chew the shoe strings on them. Scout was chewing the string on one of the shoes, and Sprite started chewing the string on the second shoe. I guess Sprite's string looked tastier, because she dropped hers and took his right out of his beak. Last night, Scout was eating a seed, and Sprite took it from her beak.

Basically, it's like watching two toddlers.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

sounds to me like a "shoe string" might seal this friendship!!!! So happy for you. I think they are doing great. You are taking time and patience with them. Awesome! Keep up the great bond you are creating with them!!!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

LOL! I hope so! I know it's gonna take some more time before they may cohab together.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I'm glad things are going well for Sprite and Scout! When I got Nala and Iki for the first time, we had four other lovebirds already, and when they were introduced to each other for the first time outside of their cages, they also did the beak touching thing too. Well the leader of the flock of four (Ashu) did it, it was almost like they kissed lol. I didn't understand what it meant, but was thinking to myself that it was like an initiation ceremonial beak touch to welcome them to the flock or something They didn't fight or anything either and Ashu was really curious and wanted to walk all over Nala and Iki's cages to look at them, and took a huge liking to Nala however the beak touching was with Iki.

The lives of lovebirds really amaze me, they are just so adorable and cute You will enjoy the journey for sure! It sounds like they will enjoy each other's company so long as they don't get into each other's territory or each others toys, lovebirds are fussy in that way.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I saw some interesting behavior yesterday with Scout (the new one) that I've read about, but had not seen with Sprite.

Scout's cage has a grill on the bottom of the cage, and the newspaper tray slides in underneath that - a basic setup. Somehow, "she" managed to pull up a sheet of the newspaper (I layer a few of them onto the tray) around the side of the bottom grill and had chewed some pieces off. One was in her water bowl; a few were along the bottom of the cage. I know this is lovie behavior, but I hadn't seen it with Sprite in the year we've had him.

Could it mean that Scout is likely to be a female, and Sprite is a male?
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, that sure is possible! Females love to shred paper.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Yes, that sure is possible! Females love to shred paper.
    I've heard that both female and male can shred, but mostly females do it. I didn't see Scout tucking the paper into her wings, but I may have missed her trying because I was at work.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

That is definitely interesting behaviour. My lovebirds love to chew paper too, they usually can't reach the newspaper underneath in their tray but once or twice one was able to pull it through a little and chew it, but with mine because they are either pure masked or masked/fischers hybrids they carry the paper that they have chewed in their beaks rather than tuck it into their wings. I believe its only the peach faces that do that. I do have one peach faced now but she's only been here about 3 weeks and hasn't shown any signs of hormonal behaviour yet (hopefully it stays that way!)

I have also heard the same, that both males and females do the paper shredding thing, but that apparently females are better at it than females. It does make it more possible that Scout is female, but at the same time with Sprite, in the past year he (or she) may not have felt hormonal or felt the need to shred paper as he didn't interact with any other bird (I'm assuming?).

It's hard to tell the sex of lovebirds. I've only ever DNA'd one of my birds, and that was only because she had problems previously with feathers growing the wrong way and poking out and she had to pull it out and one or two had blood so we sent it away to a lab to be tested but I also personally do not want to go and pull out feathers from mine. I've been told of the pelvic feeling method too, but I remember you mentioning your vet tried that and wasn't 100% sure. With the pelvic method I think if you feel two bones that are far apart then its a female as they need to be far apart for her to push an egg through, and when you feel either just one bone or two bones really close together its a male. Another way I have been told of is by looking at the tails. If its pointy, its supposed to be a male, and if its more wide it should be female. However I find this method difficult sometimes too as sometimes they sit or perch differently and their tails sometimes seem pointer and sometimes seem wider. It might take a few looks every now and then to help decipher if using this method. Sometimes observing behaviour can help too. Females tend to be more bossy, whilst males tend to be more mellow. This would be more clearer if they are out playing together though. Hopefully this helps a little

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Our vet said the only true way to know if a lovebirds is a boy or girl is either seeing them lay a egg or getting a DNA test done. Boomer was all male and was a master at shredding but not so good with the tucking them in his feathers. He could get a few tucked but once he flew they all dropped out. I am happy your two seem to it least get along when they have out of the cage time together.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I had a good laugh thinking of all these lovies pimping out their feathers with shredded paper. The shoe strings also made me laugh. My birds do a similar thing where they squabble over the strings that come out of the hood of my jumpers.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Yes, a DNA would give us a definitive answer, but it's $55 per bird for the testing at the vet. And I really don't want to put them through any discomfort. I just can't see spending that on testing, not when it can go toward a larger cage, which I plan on getting when/if they can be housed together.

Sprite is bossy as heck. Even our cats are terrified of him/her. I can tell you that, even though he wasn't around another bird, he has definitely been hormonal. Several months back, I caught some odd behavior from him. He would stand on me and bob his head, like he was trying to cough up something, and he would spend a lot of time on top of my head, moving about. So I finally googled the behaviors, and I realized that my darling little bird was actually molesting my hair while it was in a bun and trying to regurgitate for me. Thanks, Sprite, but I've already eaten. He pretty much attacks my bun every night when I take him out. I've gotten used to it by now; it's just bird behavior, and it comes with the territory of owning a bird.
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Its hormonal behavior!! I bet you never thought your hair bun would become a "lovebird nest"!!!!!!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Its hormonal behavior!! I bet you never thought your hair bun would become a "lovebird nest"!!!!!!
    Nope. It's been a learning experience!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I took Sprite and Scout to their vet on Friday. For Sprite, it was "his" yearly check-up; for Scout, it was "her" first check-up.

The vet examined both birds, listened to their little heartbeats, and did a quick file on each beak. She declared them both as healthy birds. She tried to feel Sprite's pelvic bone, but said Sprite may not be hormonal enough yet. (My hair bun would like to disagree with that. ) To help with the confusion, I'll just keep referring to Sprite as a "he", and Scout as a "she".

Now if only I could get them to behave ....

I take them out every evening to spend time with them outside of theirs cages, and the two of them are a mess! If one is playing with a toy (and I have TWO of each toy just to avoid this very thing) then the other wants THAT same one, not the duplicate - IT HAS TO BE THE SAME ONE. If Scout wants to be near Sprite, Sprite flies off and leaves her. Or both will get down on the floor and start running away as quickly as possible from me, though they don't seem to be heading anywhere in particular. They also have random "sound checks", which basically means they start chirping as loud as possible for no reason whatever, and continue taking turns with their chirps for as long as their little vocal chords will allow.

Sprite: <singing the song of his people>
    Me: Why are you yelling?
    Scout: <singing the song of her people>
    Me: Why are you yelling?
    Both in unison: <song of their people>
    Me: Why are y'all both yelling?
    (And so on for anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes)

Back to fighting over toys that they have two of, Sprite flies off, both wind up on floor, more trouble ensues, but eventually ... It's time for another soundcheck.

Basically, it's like have two toddlers. But I love them anyway!
    Jennifer M.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Lovebirds are beautiful birds. Have never seen one that did not look good. Hope you have many happy years with your 2.

Remove Ads