where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Yes, I believe the selling of the huts is for money, and the huts come in different sizes and so many different patterns, so I fell for it. The hut had fleece on the inside, which I mistakenly thought would be super comfy, never even considering that it could be eaten. And upon examination when I took it out, there were spots that had been nibbled on. The majority was probably Scout, she's my shredder. I bought it at a bird show, so I thought it would be safe for birds. Nope. Not how it works.

Since I removed the hut, I thought that maybe Sprite would leave my hair bun alone when I take him out at night, but no, he's still molesting it. Oh well.

I've been putting Scout into Sprite's cage in the evening. Sprite is back to "yelling" the whole time she's in there. But when I take Scout out and put her back into her cage, Sprite hangs on the side of his cage nearest hers, to be near her. So he wants to be near her, just not in the same cage. Silly birds. I guess it's progress though.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer use to molest our socked feet, our couch pillows.... Really he masturbated on everything. We gave him small stuffed animals and he found his favorites and thankfully used them and left us alone. Boys just want to do it all the time. Boomers vet said it was fine and she said it least it was a sign he was healthy.

The huts are super cute but so bad for them. Corner platform perches are great for putting way up in the top corner of the cage. You can put a no nap cotton rag on the shelf right before they go to sleep so they have a soft thing to sit or lay on. Boomer would lay flat on his belly in his bed when I put a cloth in it.

Sprite and Scout are silly. I think before long they might hate being in separate cages.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,277 Posts

Anything soft, is a no, no, for female and males.. It encourages nesting, mating, and hormones. . So, if it were me, I would not use cloth of any kind in the cage. When you think about your hair bun, it is very similar in shape to a nest.

Interestingly, mybudgie, Muffin has never used toys for pleasure. When I had my female, Marlee in the same cage as Muffin, for a short while, Muffin was always after Marlee, trying to mate with her, so I separated them, only because I do not want eggs or babies.

Caged life for a bird is totally different than out in the wild. I am sure there are no happy huts in the trees in Austrailia, Africa, or the Carribean!

Hopefully, you soon can put them together permanently. Time will tell how it works out for you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-31-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

When he was a baby, I would put a ceramic dish (like for pet food) in the bottom of his cage and put a washcloth in it for softness at night, for him to sleep in. One day his foot or toenail got tangled in the cloth, and I had to help him get unstuck, so there went that.

Last night, Scout sat on my shoulder for awhile, while Sprite moved from my foot, to my hand, to the other shoulder, etc. I'll take that as progress with Scout.

At one point, Sprite and Scout were both on the back of the sofa (usually Sprite flies away from her, and she can't fly yet, poor baby) and Sprite was head-bobbing (trying to regurgitate) and then they were touching beaks, like he was feeding her, but I don't think he actually had anything to give her. It was a cute moment. They were together for a few minutes, then Scout kinda snapped her beak at him, and - just that fast - the domestic bliss was over.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That's great Scout sat on your shoulder. It sounds like both birds are going to be good friends soon.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

In the adventures of Sprite and Scout, both are doing well. Scout is STILL Ms. (or Mr.) Bitey Bird. Ever had a lovebird bite a beakful of your cheek? How do they even GET a piece of your cheek in their beak so fast? Anyway, it hurts. Still love her though, her and her cute, little, bitey face.

I've been putting Scout into Sprite's cage every evening for awhile now. Seems to go ok! I started off doing it for about and hour or two, working up to around 4 hours together every evening. Last Thursday, I put them back into Sprite's cage after I spent time with them, and left Scout in Sprite's cage overnight. In the morning, I put Scout back into her cage. Progress!! Can't wait until they can be together full time!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy they are getting along so well and how exciting you left Scout in Sprites cage overnight and no bad things happened. It has to be nerve wracking for you to leave them together and not knowing if they will fight or not but things sure seem to be going great with them. Boomer was horrible about biting people. He would be a little sweetheart laying on you and letting you scratch his cheek and head and out of the blue bite hard enough to make you bleed. He did this all his life and we had to learn to accept it because no way was he going to change.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

They're such little nutjobs!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Lovies really are nutjobs!! I bird sit my daughters Conure often and also watch my sisters Amazon and Cockatoo and none of them are even half as crazy as Boomer was. Tikki the conure is almost there and is very active and he bites but never as aggressively as normally sweet loving Boomer did

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

LOL. Sprite rarely ever bites, usually if I'm taking something away from him or if I'm removing him from where he wants to be (like my hair bun).
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Sprite and Scout are both doing awesome. Scout is still a bit reserved with me, but she is finally flying! (Her wings had been clipped and one wing had been injured by a nestmate when I got her in July.)

The bird show returned last Saturday (it's twice a year, July and December) and I had been waiting to buy a bigger cage for them at the show. I found one at the show and bought it. Pic is in my album on here, standing next to the cage they were in up until yesterday. BIG difference. They have a palace now.

I went to the bird show ONLY TO BUY A CAGE. That's it. Cage. The breeder that I bought Sprite and Scout from was there, but she didn't have any lovies, so I was safe! I walked around all the table to see what they had: lots of finches and cockatiels and conures, cages and stands, toys, etc. No lovies. Then I went to the table owned by a woman I know (her name is escaping me at the moment) that owns a bird store about 100 miles away. Usually when I'm up there, we stop in to see her and all her chaos, so I wandered over to her table to see how she was doing. Said she was good .... And told me that she had a pair of baby lovies. We walk over to the cage, and - sure enough - there are 2 babies, on top of each other, clearly bonded, in the corner of their cage that I had totally missed. She asks me if I want them, and I'm like, no, 2 is plenty enough - I don't need 4! They are cuter than you can imagine. Two peaches but the coloring is very different from Sprite and Scout. They are darker, with bright blue on the rumps. Beautiful birds! But I walked away. Awhile later, I see a woman and a girl over by them, and it looks like my friend is taking them out to show them to the woman and the girl, so OF COURSE I have to go over there, too, and see them. It turns out, the mother didn't want BOTH birds, because they already had one at home, so they bought just ONE of the bonded pair. Which left the other little bird all alone. It broke my heart. I bought the cage and we put it in the car, but I kept thinking about that bird. He/she was going to go back to the store, with all those big, loud birds, without his/her friend, all alone and scared. So ... I bought him! I'm still not quite over the shock of what I did. Who gets a 3rd bird? Especially right after she got the first two to cohab nicely? You can't have an odd number of lovebirds, right?

So we have a new baby, old enough to eat seeds/mix. Not sure of the sex on this one either. Bird is under quarantine for the month, so he's in my son's room until that's over. We haven't named him yet. His beak is still black at the top, so fairly young. I put pics of him in my album, so if anyone knows what mutation his is - let me know!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Congratulations Jennifer on your new baby lovebird! I started laughing right away when I saw you wrote you only went to get a cage and thats it, and knew something else had to have unexpectedly happened! Are birds cheaper at the bird shows or about the same when buying direct from the breeder at their homes or in pet shops?

I feel bad that the birds lost each other and their bond and no doubt it would be scary without one another, but I am certain the one you bought will be treated with love and care and will soon be happy once he or she starts hearing little sprite and scout chirping (I suppose they already have heard each other ). Perhaps it might have been better if they were separated as they might have been siblings who eventually can end up trying to mate with each other and laying eggs but being really young he or she will hopefully move on from their loss quicker. I hope the lady who bought the other bird looks after it as well.

I am sure you will be so happy wth your new baby bird, get ready for lots of screaming as they all try to look for each other everytime we got more birds here and kept them in quarantine they all heard each other from the seperate rooms and were screaming for each other, it was cute but I felt bad when the newly arrived ones just didnt know where the other ones were and either looked sad because of that or would go to the bottom of their cages and run around like crazy to let out their frustration and was always so happy when I could finally introduce them all. I find that buying seeds in bulk helps save money, I could never find bulk seeds before but now I have managed to as well as buying hanging millets in bulk as well and it makes a big difference. I think its mostly just toys, perches and cages that are expensive, but hopefully you were able to find some good quality ones at a good price at the show. I recently ordered some bird toys from Amazon and had them shipped to me in Australia, for a fraction of the price that it would have cost me locally, and I'm quite excited to receive them soon.

I am glad the baby can eat and drink and I am so certain he or she is going to be ok with you. Please do provide updates, and pictures and when you have a name for it Also I couldn't see any pictures of them anywhere? I tried to check the album but it had 5 photos from July.

I can't wait to read more soon!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    Congratulations Jennifer on your new baby lovebird! I started laughing right away when I saw you wrote you only went to get a cage and thats it, and knew something else had to have unexpectedly happened! Are birds cheaper at the bird shows or about the same when buying direct from the breeder at their homes or in pet shops?

I feel bad that the birds lost each other and their bond and no doubt it would be scary without one another, but I am certain the one you bought will be treated with love and care and will soon be happy once he or she starts hearing little sprite and scout chirping (I suppose they already have heard each other ). Perhaps it might have been better if they were separated as they might have been siblings who eventually can end up trying to mate with each other and laying eggs but being really young he or she will hopefully move on from their loss quicker. I hope the lady who bought the other bird looks after it as well.

I am sure you will be so happy wth your new baby bird, get ready for lots of screaming as they all try to look for each other everytime we got more birds here and kept them in quarantine they all heard each other from the seperate rooms and were screaming for each other, it was cute but I felt bad when the newly arrived ones just didnt know where the other ones were and either looked sad because of that or would go to the bottom of their cages and run around like crazy to let out their frustration and was always so happy when I could finally introduce them all. I find that buying seeds in bulk helps save money, I could never find bulk seeds before but now I have managed to as well as buying hanging millets in bulk as well and it makes a big difference. I think its mostly just toys, perches and cages that are expensive, but hopefully you were able to find some good quality ones at a good price at the show. I recently ordered some bird toys from Amazon and had them shipped to me in Australia, for a fraction of the price that it would have cost me locally, and I'm quite excited to receive them soon.

I am glad the baby can eat and drink and I am so certain he or she is going to be ok with you. Please do provide updates, and pictures and when you have a name for it Also I couldn't see any pictures of them anywhere? I tried to check the album but it had 5 photos from July.

I can't wait to read more soon!

The pictures SHOULD be in the album now. (Notice the word "should".)

I kept saying (in the days leading up to the show), we are ONLY going to get a cage. I guess I jinxed it.

They are already shouting across the house to each other, but I was prepared for it, since the same thing happened when we brought Scout home. But then you hear it again, and you think to yourself: Why didn't I remember this before I brought another bird home??

I'm going to start ordering their Zupreem from Amazon, too! It's just SO much cheaper that way. Even when PetSmart has a sale, Amazon is cheaper. I do the fruit blend, but think I may add the other one - think it's called "Naturals". I'll mix them together, with a little bit of the seed.

I actually didn't buy any toys, but I was supposed to. I bought the cage ($125 - pic in album, next to their previous cage for comparison) and then I bought the bird. I literally sat in my car after I bought him, and said, "What did I just do? Did I just do that? OMG, did I do that?" Here I was, buying a big cage because I just got my first two nutjobs to cohabitate peacefully... And I'm getting another one?! I have NO idea if the new guy will be able to eventually go in with the first two; my understanding is that you can't have birds in odd numbers. And since we don't know anyone's sex ... What's going to probably end up happening is that he's going to be alone in his own cage, and I'll feel sorry for him, and then I'll have to get ANOTHER bird to keep him company.

Let me know if you can see the pics now.
    Jennifer M.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Very attractive pair of Lovebirds. A goot vet wouldknow for sure about the DNA testing. Possible to find a correct answer on this site. Good Luck.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oh I can see the pictures now! Oh the baby is so cute! I love the black on their beak, I think Deanna would love to see these photos too and see the cute black on the beak, when they are so young. I am not sure of the mutation though, but hopefully some of the breeders on here will have more of an idea. Was it easy to get him/her on the shoulders and holding in the hand? Oh it is so so cute!!! I am excited to learn what his or her name will be

That sounds great and its nice to mix their foods a little bit even the seeds its what I do too, even though Im getting a seed mix in bulk, I still buy the supermarket one that two of my pairs prefer. I wish I could try some of those brands over there like Zupreem and Volkmans which Deanna recommended previously, but we have strict quarantine where I am so I wouldn't be able to receive them. We have some franchise pet shop chains here too similar to Petsmart, such as Petbarn, but I dont like the seed brands from there as they put these huge shell grits in there, and even though I've learned they are safe, they were just too big, the supermarket seeds I buy has them too but they are small little shells not huge, and some have aviary grit which I've heard isn't safe so I just avoid the seeds from the franchise pet shops and stick to family owned ones who get them fresh and in bulk, but we did get most of our cages from Petbarn when then have flash sales online.

The bigger cage is the one you purchased? Wow thats really big and spacious and for the price definitely really great!

I have heard that in odd numbers, it is a bit difficult as well. But possibly thats only if there is a female among them, because then the males may fight for the female. I first had three in the beginning as well, but turns out those three are all females, but two of them seemed more bonded to each other than the other one which is why we got a 4th one and they ended up bonding to each other very quickly as well. Lol it is possible you may end up with a 4th one too for this new baby I wish you were able to get the one it was bonded to, but this one will be ok being really young still and if he or she is already shouting to the other ones across the house then I think he/she may already be feeling good knowing there are others like her very close by. I think its hard when the first one comes and it is the only bird, especially if it is not hand raised, but if more come along and hear the others it must make the experience of a new home a little bit easier.

I am also so glad that Sprite and Scout are cohabiting peacefully together!

Remove Ads