where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

A washer is just a flat, metal ring, but you don't need to use a washer ... It could be a washer, needle, nail ... Anything that's stainless steel, and you tie the string to it. To see if it's stainless steel, test it to see if it's magnetic. The "gender test" is supposed to rely on magnetic energy, or something like that. My son calls it "voodoo stuff". LOL. There's videos that others have posted on YouTube of it, if you want to see it.

My house is chaotic, to put it mildly. Somedays I feel like I do nothing but clean up cages and tanks and hairballs. LOL. I go through a TON of paper towels and Dawn dish detergent. Having cats and the other animals is a bit hard, because cats are hunters by nature. They don't seem interested with the bearded dragons, but the birds are super active, and so I have to be extra diligent when I have the birds out. Yesterday my son and I had all 3 birds out and the 3 cats were also in the room, so I had to make sure the cats were keeping a safe distance. Meanwhile, I had to keep Scout and Skye separated because they kept trying to snap at each other. I literally had to keep putting my hand in between them. It is nonstop - one animal (or more) is going to need my attention at any given time. Some days I question my sanity.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I was hoping that all the birds would be buddies and live hgappy together. Maybe in time it will happen. That is weird about the gender test with the stainless washer. I am going to use it on my daughters pets to see if it works. We are not sure that Tikki is a boy but he is almost three years old and has not laid a egg so were thinking he is all boy. I didn't know you can test to see if its stainless with a magnet. That will be easier for me to find a stainless something to use on the string.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

The breeder that Sprite and Scout came from is the person who originally told me about it. We kinda laughed about it. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it!
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Just wanted to do a quick update!

The crew is doing well! Last night I had all 3 out, which is fun and exhausting at the same time. As per usual, Scout and Skye are NOT friends. Lots of snapping at each other, but Scout is snappy to begin with, so .... She doesn't just do it to Skye. She'll even snap at Sprite sometimes, and Sprite is kinda like, "What I did do?" And we all know she'll bite on me. I love her dearly, but she's a little difficult.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Glad everyone is doing well! From all that behaviour I am really thinking scout and Skye are girls, and that sprite is the male who they both see as a future potential mate lol

I am definitely going to try that gender test thing with something stainless steel too. Will be interesting what it shows

I am the same we use way to many paper towels all the time too, we constantly use them for everything even just for drying the birds food bowls as I dont like to use a towel as it leaves behind fluff.

I imagine it would definitely be hard to have so many animals, always something to clean up and when there is so many it is so time consuming, especially when you can't house them altogether but at the end of the day, its worth it, just to hear them chirping happily and enjoying themselves making more mess after you've just cleaned it lol, or in your case its worth it when you see your little fishies swimming happily and hear the happy chirps, and meows and .... (I'm not sure what sounds a bearded dragon makes if they make any?)

I really hope that scout and Skye eventually get along, but if not, they should be content just being housed separately. I look forward to seeing the fourth lovebird soon

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    Glad everyone is doing well! From all that behaviour I am really thinking scout and Skye are girls, and that sprite is the male who they both see as a future potential mate lol

I am definitely going to try that gender test thing with something stainless steel too. Will be interesting what it shows

I am the same we use way to many paper towels all the time too, we constantly use them for everything even just for drying the birds food bowls as I dont like to use a towel as it leaves behind fluff.

I imagine it would definitely be hard to have so many animals, always something to clean up and when there is so many it is so time consuming, especially when you can't house them altogether but at the end of the day, its worth it, just to hear them chirping happily and enjoying themselves making more mess after you've just cleaned it lol, or in your case its worth it when you see your little fishies swimming happily and hear the happy chirps, and meows and .... (I'm not sure what sounds a bearded dragon makes if they make any?)

I really hope that scout and Skye eventually get along, but if not, they should be content just being housed separately. I look forward to seeing the fourth lovebird soon
    I'm thinking that Scout and Skye are both female, too. That would explain it! But Scout is such a bitey face. I'm convinced she'd bite any bird and any person, given the chance. Like I said, she snaps at Sprite even, and she's definitely possessive over food bowls, toys, etc.

My bearded dragons don't really make sounds, but they can hiss. We got Smauggie as a baby in 2014; Sydney was a rescue that I took in last June, approximately 2 years old. They're quiet ... But they require the most work. Basking lamps, UVB lamps, ceramic heat bulbs (during winter) ... Not to mention, LIVE insects for food. So I have a bin of Dubia roaches that are establishing a colony; I have to feed and heat them, too. I tried doing crickets instead, but crickets are AWFUL! The noise and the smell was too much!

It IS rewarding, and I love my zoo! But between cat hair (2 of my 3 cats are longhaired) and bird feathers and seeds, I could vacuum every day and STILL not be done.

Last night, I let all 3 of my lovies out. Chaos ensued, as usual. Had to keep blocking Scout from going after Skye. Scout kept biting me. Skye sat on our shoulders. Sprite attacked my hair bun. You know, the usual. But there was some fun, too. Sprite and Scout can fly, and Scout flew up and sat on one of the ceiling fan blades (I make sure the fan is off before I let them out). After a minute, Sprite joined her. Skye was on my shoulder; she can't fly yet. My son started spinning the fan by hand slowly (he was trying to get them off) and the birds thought it was great fun!! They began hopping from one blade to the next, like it was an amusement park ride, happily chirping away. It was hilarious!!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LOL, silly birds having a fun ride on your fan!! Lovebirds are so much fun to watch that you have a perma-smile on your face the entire time they are out.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    LOL, silly birds having a fun ride on your fan!! Lovebirds are so much fun to watch that you have a perma-smile on your face the entire time they are out.
    For the most part, I'm smiling when they came out. But I usually have to fuss at Scout not to bite (me, my son or Skye). And I have to keep a close eye on the cats while the birds are out. I'd like to have a room that I can let them loose in, but for right now, I don't. My living room doesn't have doors that I can close to keep the cats out. If I swap my living room and dining room, I will have doors to close.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yes having cats always is a little harder when you also have birds. My daughter has two cats and Tikki her conure so when Tikki comes out she locks the cats in the bedroom so no accidents happen. Once she had Tikki out and her roommate let his cat in the living room and Tikki saw it and flew over the cat and it reached up and scratched Tikki! It was a tiny scratch but it did bleed. It was in the middle of the night so my daughter washed it really good three times and then first thing in the morning took Tikki in to the vets. The vet said washing it like she did was the best thing she could have done and they washed it and put sterile meds on it as well and he had to take antibotics for two weeks. Cat and dog saliva and scratches will kill a bird fast if not treated.
    Last edited by boomer girl; 01-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Yes, those cats move fast! My 3 are declawed (front paws only) but they can still bop them out of the air and could break a wing or injure them. I really need to swap rooms.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

My little lovebirds are doing (fairly) well. I ran into a couple issues on Saturday, so I'm hoping that someone out there can give me advice.

I cleaned the cages on Saturday. Sprite and Scout are in the big cage. I started to move a hanging toy in the cage, so that I could clean the branch near it. The toy has rope cords, and straws to chew, and a few wood pieces at the top. As I went to move it, I realized there was this STUFF all over one area of the ropes, like an orangey-red color. Checking Sprite and Scout, I saw that Sprite had something similar in color to it on side of his neck. I was panicked! Was it blood? What the heck was the matter with my bird? On further inspection, I think it was regurgitated bird pellets, which turn their poop an odd color, as well. So ... Here are my questions: Why is he regurgitating on a bird toy? Shouldn't he be doing it for Scout? Or saving it for potential babies? I have seen him "molesting" the toy previously ... Is he courting the toy, as opposed to courting Scout? (Possibly because she's a moody, little bitey-face. )

The other problem that arose on Saturday is making me consider separating Sprite and Scout. I bought a bird kabob and Scout loved it. I'm sure you're familiar with them - round things, hanging on a straw-like string, that birds get to chew and shred. Scout loved it! There was 1/2 of one round thing left (more are coming from Amazon any day now) and Sprite was playing with it. All of the sudden, there was a huge commotion. Sprite is somehow tangled up the the straw-like string part, and the string is wrapped around his foot and around his wing and he's dangling upside down, shrieking. He was shrieking partly due to being caught up in it, and partly due to Scout, who was biting the heck out of him, while he was stuck and unable to get away. I reached in and held him with one hand so that he wouldn't be dangling, while unscrewing the toy from the top of the cage with the other. Then Scout starts biting my arm - the one holding Sprite, and now *I* am yelling along with Sprite. Finally got it unscrewed and got him out of the cage; I got a pair of scissors and was able to cut him lose. But what if I hadn't been home? I have no doubt that Scout would've seriously wounded him. Could she have killed him? And why - just because he was stuck in her toy?? I will no longer keep toys of that nature in their cage - wood toys are ok, but nothing with ropes or string UNLESS I am home to monitor it. I was SO upset. So now I'm debating on separating them. I will need to get another small cage, and then Sprite and Scout will each have a cage of their own; Skye is already by herself. Sprite and Scout have been housed together for about 4 months now, so I'm sure that's going to be an issue, but I don't know what else to do! Help! Any thoughts?
    Last edited by jenn4turtles; 02-20-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness you were home and were able to save Sprite before he got hurt! I cant even imagine how afraid and horrified you were to see not only Sprite caught on something but Scout attacking him. It really does sound like Scout is a huge bully and I have no idea why she would attack poor Sprite when he was crying out for help from being stuck. I would not put any of the kabobs in the cage either. I would actually be freaking out knowing this could have killed poor Sprite.

As far as Sprite feeding this toy Boomer fed his toys all the time but he did not have a girl sitting in the same cage with him or he for sure would be doing it with her and not his toys. I have no idea why he does not mate with Scout. Maybe she is such a "you know what" he does not want anything to do with her and his toy does not bite and attack him so he prefers it.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Thank goodness you were home and were able to save Sprite before he got hurt! I cant even imagine how afraid and horrified you were to see not only Sprite caught on something but Scout attacking him. It really does sound like Scout is a huge bully and I have no idea why she would attack poor Sprite when he was crying out for help from being stuck. I would not put any of the kabobs in the cage either. I would actually be freaking out knowing this could have killed poor Sprite.

As far as Sprite feeding this toy Boomer fed his toys all the time but he did not have a girl sitting in the same cage with him or he for sure would be doing it with her and not his toys. I have no idea why he does not mate with Scout. Maybe she is such a "you know what" he does not want anything to do with her and his toy does not bite and attack him so he prefers it.
    I was SO worried. I will put it a new kebob when it comes, but ONLY when I am home to monitor it. It's not JUST the kabob though! She's so possessive over food and water bowls, as well. That's why I'm REALLY thinking about separating them. Maybe Sprite and Skye will eventually cohab? I don't know. I hate to separate them after they've been together so long.

I'm guessing that is EXACTLY the reason why Sprite isn't mating with Scout. She'll be a year old soon; the breeder didn't give me an exact date of birth - it was during chemo treatments and the aviary is outside of the home.
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Personally, I think male and female birds will use toys to do their"thing",even.if they have a mate. Birds are always planning on procreating, any way they can!!!!! And....all the time!!! Lol

I once had a similar experience with a baby tiel. I had used pieces of yarn to tie toys in the cage. I was sitting in my recliner, glanced over at the cage, and Hope, my bird, was twirling, as though head was in a noose, and was strangling herself. I grabbed a pair of scissors, rushed over to the cage and cut the yarn. She fell to the floor. I took her and held her for a long time. Miraculously, she survived. I learned my lesson that day, for sure. No toys hanging with string, twine, or yarn.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-20-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Jennifer,

I am glad everyone is doing fairly ok. Regarding Sprite and Scout, its possible you might need to separate them. Has scout always been like this towards sprite? Always possessive over everything and then even biting him if he does not obey her or go away from a food bowl or toy that she wants to play with? This sounds a little similar to my Ashi and Koko, she's so bossy, and she's obsessed with feet. I haven't separated those two yet as they do seem bonded to each other and no one is starving. Most of the time Ashi gets aggressive when Koko follows her to a toy that she just wants to play with on her own or when she's eating from a Bowl and he follows her too. He loves to follow her but sometimes she just doesnt like it. apart from that they are always happy together, she doesnt stop him from eating anything unless she's already in a bowl eating and he's annoying her. But she likes to bite toes a lot so sometimes we do hear Koko screeching from pain but not a lot. It is usually because he's annoying her and she just wants him to back off but she won't go and bite him to kick him away from food or anything like that. She used to do that with my Asha and Ashu when they were housed together as a four which is why we separated those pairs ages ago.

I recently separated my Kovu and kiara. Kovu has always been bossy and aggressive and she's a massive biter but beforehand she never would bite Kiara and they were bonded to each other (or so we thought) but recently Kiara was found bleeding in her beak. Recently kovu has become more bossy and aggressive so I think they had a fight and kovu is too strong so kiara cant win with her. She would hardly let kiara go and eat from any of the food bowls she would always go and kick her away from them all. She would just start to rely on the honey sticks which is not good as the only source of food and would only manage to get a few vegetables here and there. After stopping the bleeding we put kiara in a smaller cage (the same style of cage we use for Ashu/Asha and Nala/Iki). It took her awhile to adjust, but now a week later, she seems alright and happy, plays with her toys, eats her veggies and regular seeds instead of honey sticks. Only ever gets annoyed if her cage is too close to nala and iki's because nala doesnt welcome anyone near her "kingdom" lol.

If you decide to separate them, you can keep the cages right next to each other. It will be hard for them at first but they will get used to it and its for sprites safety. We had always thought about separating kovu and kiara but thought it would be too hard for them and didnt do it, but after this incident we just had to do it, for little kiara's safety. We still love little kovu but she's become too possessive. When the cages are on sale at the pet shop again I'm going to purchase another small one again for kovu to have and then hopefully sell the big one that she is still using alone.

I am so glad little sprite was ok and so glad you were at home, Definitely dont use that toy anymore. Poor little sprite! lovebirds always seem obsessed with biting feet I do not understand this either. I am thinking the same as Deanna, he liked the toy because it does not bite him like scout does.

HAs Scout always been like this with sprite since the beginning of when they started staying in the same cage? And is Skye's personality different to how scout was when you first brought her home? This might help with whether or not sprite and Skye could live together. I wonder if scout would be jealous or if she would just be content in her own cage with her own little toys? Kovu seems fine playing with her toys and only gos to look at kiara when I move kiara's cage next to hers. My partner said he had kovu on his hand (gloved ) and he brought her next to kiara's cage and kovu bent her head over and kiara tried to preen her through her cage bars, I think they do miss each other a little but that they appreciate their own space now too.

I think even if they all have their own little cages, they can still have monitored time out playing together, but then they just retreat back to their own spaces afterwards.

Remove Ads