Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Very attractive pair of Lovebirds. A goot vet wouldknow for sure about the DNA testing. Possible to find a correct answer on this site. Good Luck.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oh I can see the pictures now! Oh the baby is so cute! I love the black on their beak, I think Deanna would love to see these photos too and see the cute black on the beak, when they are so young. I am not sure of the mutation though, but hopefully some of the breeders on here will have more of an idea. Was it easy to get him/her on the shoulders and holding in the hand? Oh it is so so cute!!! I am excited to learn what his or her name will be

That sounds great and its nice to mix their foods a little bit even the seeds its what I do too, even though Im getting a seed mix in bulk, I still buy the supermarket one that two of my pairs prefer. I wish I could try some of those brands over there like Zupreem and Volkmans which Deanna recommended previously, but we have strict quarantine where I am so I wouldn't be able to receive them. We have some franchise pet shop chains here too similar to Petsmart, such as Petbarn, but I dont like the seed brands from there as they put these huge shell grits in there, and even though I've learned they are safe, they were just too big, the supermarket seeds I buy has them too but they are small little shells not huge, and some have aviary grit which I've heard isn't safe so I just avoid the seeds from the franchise pet shops and stick to family owned ones who get them fresh and in bulk, but we did get most of our cages from Petbarn when then have flash sales online.

The bigger cage is the one you purchased? Wow thats really big and spacious and for the price definitely really great!

I have heard that in odd numbers, it is a bit difficult as well. But possibly thats only if there is a female among them, because then the males may fight for the female. I first had three in the beginning as well, but turns out those three are all females, but two of them seemed more bonded to each other than the other one which is why we got a 4th one and they ended up bonding to each other very quickly as well. Lol it is possible you may end up with a 4th one too for this new baby I wish you were able to get the one it was bonded to, but this one will be ok being really young still and if he or she is already shouting to the other ones across the house then I think he/she may already be feeling good knowing there are others like her very close by. I think its hard when the first one comes and it is the only bird, especially if it is not hand raised, but if more come along and hear the others it must make the experience of a new home a little bit easier.

I am also so glad that Sprite and Scout are cohabiting peacefully together!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Congrats on bringing home the baby lovie. I see no reason why you cannot have three. You can tame this one, and then, next spring, stop back at the bird show, and find a friend for this one. Many times I have gone to a pet shop for a bird cage, or bird seed, fell in love with a budgie or tiel, and walked out the door with another bird. We will watch for updates. I am so happy for you, and like you, I would have not left that little baby all alone.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I was so adamant in the weeks leading up to the bird show that I would ONLY get a cage, that I didn't need another bird. But my heart melted at this little bird, shivering in the corner of his cage, all alone. I'm such a sucker! I'm worried that I will, in fact, wind up with 4, just so this one can have a friend, but we'll have to see. I always go look at animals every time we go to a pet store, and I usually can resist, but the baby was just too cute.

I think whether or not they can all be housed together is going to depend on the sexes of all three. I think if they turn out to be 2 males and a female that would be a problem, too much competition. I don't know what to expect if they are all female or all male, or 2 females and 1 male.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 3 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout and Skye.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am in love with this sweet little baby and I fully understand why your heart told you to go back and get it. It is gorgeous and Laila is right them black beaked peachfaces are my favorite birds of all and it would be so hard for me to leave this one cutie in the corner of a cage all alone as well. I agree that all three of them might just become friends and get along great. I have seen uneven amounts of birds in cage before and they were all just fine. I looked at your album and now I am in love with all your birds, they are very unique and beautiful birds. Lovebirds have that sweetness and look about them that is hard to resist and always make me smile. You can look into them big black round eyes and see there little brains thinking about what kind of trouble can I get into now

Your cage is a steal for such a nice big cage and the little baby will fit right into it and hopefully Sprite and Scout will be accept this baby into here little flock.

I like the Volkman Brand of bird mixes here. Boomer loved the Science Diet mix with no sunflowers seeds. Something in the sunflower mix must of done something to the mix because Boomer refused to eat it for some reason but he loved the same mix without the sunflowers. My daughters conure eats the same mix and my sisters Cockatoo and Amazon eat Volkmans big bird mix. Its a family thing Really Volkman Science diet seed mixes are fresh seed mixes that are preserved with citrus oils and has no kind of vitamin additives or un-natural preservatives. The company is also within 70 miles of my house so it is easy to find it here by my house. You can get it online or if your lucky in the stores in bags are best but I do see it in stores here in bulk bins of mixes as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Lovebirds have that sweetness and look about them that is hard to resist and always make me smile. You can look into them big black round eyes and see there little brains thinking about what kind of trouble can I get into now

That's EXACTLY what they are thinking!

I'll have to look into that brand. We use the Zupreem, and the birds seem to like it. Skye (we FINALLY named him/her!) does not stop eating.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 3 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout and Skye.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Nice to meet little Skye! What a cute and beautiful name! I am usually really tough when I go into the pet shops to get toys or perches or food and try not to let myself get attached to any birdies that are there, but I too, if I were in your position would have gotten the one left behind. I am always firm now and saying "no more no more we have many already" etc. But in some circumstances, like the one you were in, I think I would cave for sure! The poor thing definitely would have been in shock and scared and alone and I am so glad you got little Skye and I am so certain that she is already really happy hearing scout and sprite around.

That is really great that she doesnt stop eating, she must really love the food, maybe she wasn't given the nicest food previously or much variety. When we first got Luna she ate heaps as well, and everything from millet to safflower to sunflower to oats all of it, because she was at the bottom of the pecking order at the pet shop so she probably didnt get much to eat. Same with my Nala and Iki too, they devoured their oats and honey sticks, and now that we are getting oats in big bags locally, they are devouring them all over again.

Deanna, sounds like Volkmans seeds are fresh and local for your sister and daughters birdies. And sounds so natural, if I was on mainland Australia I would order them and try them too for mine. I feel like I'm still spending so much on seeds even though I save a little now as I get the 20 kilo bags of oats and a small parrot mix locally and you can smell the freshness when opening the bags too, but I also need to regularly get a small 2 kg bag of cockatiel mix too from the supermarket as thats the only one I can find with safflower which Ashu and Asha adore the most and I can't find it in bulk where I am. The company (Trill) that makes the supermarket one are on the mainland, I dont know how I'm able to find it here since the quarantine is strict but I'm glad I do, perhaps large supermarket chains have lots of power to get what they want.

I think Skye is going to be really happy, but I think you will also be able to tell if she's lonely or anything in her cage, I think when you introduce her to scout and Skye she will show whether she is lonely if she is aggressive towards them or not or if she becomes super territorial with her cage too. I am certain they will all enjoy each other as a flock soon, and will start chirping together.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

The cage is big enough for three, but - like you said - it's going to depend on her personality, and whether the other 2 will allow a 3rd one to join them. As of right now, they "talk" across the house to each other. Sprite tends to do the majority of it from his and Scout's end. I had forgotten the joys of having lovies shouting across the house to each other.

Last night, I was trying to watch TV, and Sprite and Scout would not hush. I eventually gave up and did other stuff, which I needed to do anyway. I love the new cage tho, especially since it rolls! We had an unusual cold spell at the end of last week (it actually SNOWED here a bit, which rarely ever happens in Southeast Louisiana). The birds stay in the living room, which has two doors leading outside and a huge bow window, so it was kinda chilly in the room. I was able to roll them down the hallway into my bedroom at night, which was warmer. I left them in the living room last night because it had warmed up, and I don't think they liked it.
    Jennifer M.

Remove Ads