Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

I am sooo happy for you that they are in great health. Congratuations on being an awesome birdy mom! Yes, it does sound like two toddlers competing with each other!!! Now if they just stay out of your hair bun..........!!!!!!!!! Lolololol

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I can't see any pics but I'm sure they're just lovely <3

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneakybeaky View Post
    I can't see any pics but I'm sure they're just lovely <3
    Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party posting, but I do have pics in the photo album on this site.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    I am sooo happy for you that they are in great health. Congratuations on being an awesome birdy mom! Yes, it does sound like two toddlers competing with each other!!! Now if they just stay out of your hair bun..........!!!!!!!!! Lolololol

So far, only Sprite uses my hair for ... Nefarious purposes. But then Scout climbs up there and interrupts him, which further annoys Sprite.

They're a mess! The sight of them walking around (on the floor, or sofa, or on top of their cages) while doing their sound check ... It's a hilarious scene. It's sounds like an asylum, but it's still funny!
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are too funny! For sure, they are the ENTERTAINERS of your life!!! I think they have crossed over to ...owning YOU!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would love to see two movies like yours courting each other. Just watching Boomer court whatever he decided to love that day cracked us up.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

You are too funny! For sure, they are the ENTERTAINERS of your life!!! I think they have crossed over to ...owning YOU!!!

They absolutely do, especially Sprite! He's had over a year with us, and he runs the house!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Just an update on my looney birds

Sprite and Scout are doing well. Noisy, messy, bossy. Well, actually Sprite is the bossiest.

I let them out of their cages in the evening to give them quality time with me and - theoretically - with each other. As I recently posted, the two actually spend very little time together because the flying one (Sprite) flies away from Scout (clipped wings at the moment) whenever she comes near him. She also isn't too comfortable around me, since she wasn't hand-fed like Sprite had been. So she'll sit on my head. (So that she doesn't have to see me or so that I can't see her? Can't tell.) One night Sprite bit my nose (unusual for him, and it was hard enough to leave a mark) and then Scout bit my cheek (not sure how she got a chunk of the face into her beak, but she did) and quality time ended for both of them that night. "No biting. No. Time to go back in your cage."

Saturday and Sunday I decided to try something different. I put Scout into Sprite's cage, since his cage is the bigger of the two. OMG. Scout kept chewing on Sprite's hut (triangle-shaped hut made out of fabric with a Dr. Who pattern - bought at a bird show) and kept crawling all over it, while Sprite kept chirping at top volume. Not sure if he was excited to have her over ... Or if it was more like, "Help! Stranger Danger! And she's eating my hut!" At one point yesterday, Scout was on top of the hut and it looked like Sprite tried to nip at the back of her heal. Then Scout turned around and bit Sprite's foot and he fell off the hut (toes appear to be ok).

I really can't say how they're doing in terms of becoming bonded. They seem to have some interest in each other, probably more on Scout's end. Sometimes I'll see Sprite "dancing around her" in a manner similar to what he does before he molests my hair bun. Sometimes they'll touch beaks. Then sometimes they're nipping at each other. Sprite has been alone since we got him (so over a year now) and I know there's a possibility that he may never be okay with sharing a cage. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Scout is still nippy, biting us more often than not. Her forehead is changing to match her little pink face, and she's so pretty. I'm still hoping to tame her a little bit more than what she is now, but we'll have to see.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks for the update Jennifer. I am happy it least they are out together and somewhat getting along. It sounds like they almost get along and you can call them nipping buddies. Lovebirds are such sassy little biters at times. I sure never trusted Boomer and no doubt I always knew he was going to bite me every time he was hanging out with me. Its odd because he NEVER would bite my daughter (his favorite) but boy did he bite me and my husband. Hopefully Scout will one day become more friendlier to you so she will enjoy sitting with you and Sprite when they are out. I wonder why Scout was so intent on chewing up Sprites hut? Little stinker!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yikes!!! I think those huts have to go!!! Lovebirds love to mate and lay eggs in them!

It sounds like they are doing great. Thanks for the update.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I wonder why Scout was so intent on chewing up Sprites hut? Little stinker!!

Scout is the shredder of the two, and I think she was trying to "shred" the hut. Sprite has never shred anything in the year we've had him. But Scout will pull up newspaper around the bottom grill and shred it into strips. I also have a bird toy that I bought from Petco - multi-colored ribbons that are weaved together into a wide, flat piece - and she will untwist the ribbons and fray them, but Sprite never fools with his.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Yikes!!! I think those huts have to go!!! Lovebirds love to mate and lay eggs in them!
    LOL. I know. Sprite has had the hut since December of last year, when we bought it at the bird show. He really likes it. He won't poop in it, and he usually goes to sleep in it. I would like to get Scout her own at the next bird show, which are done in July and December. I think the person who makes them has an online shop for those and all the handmade toys, too. The huts come in 2 or 3 different sizes and a variety of patterns; we like Doctor Who, so we had to get that one. Whenever we are able to house them together, I'll have to see how it goes. I don't want them fighting over the hut. And since we don't know if either is female, there may not be an issue with eggs, but we'll have to see.
    Jennifer M.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Seriously, and I have your best interests at heart, you need to take the hut out of the cage immediately. They do make both male and female hormonal. In the last few months, here on the forum, I have read of caregivers having lots of problems with a hut. If you do have a pair, they will mate in the hut, lay eggs in the hut, and if the eggs hatch, then the babies will be in there, the hut will be too small, there will be poop everywhere and the babies may die. You can never move eggs or babies out of the hut, because birds do not like their nest disturbed, in this case, the hut, and they will
    abandon the babies.

Your two are getting old enough now for hormones, so if it were me, I would say adios to the huts. They are cute, but for sure, they are double trouble!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Seriously, and I have your best interests at heart, you need to take the hut out of the cage immediately. They do make both male and female hormonal. In the last few months, here on the forum, I have read of caregivers having lots of problems with a hut. If you do have a pair, they will mate in the hut, lay eggs in the hut, and if the eggs hatch, then the babies will be in there, the hut will be too small, there will be poop everywhere and the babies may die. You can never move eggs or babies out of the hut, because birds do not like their nest disturbed, in this case, the hut, and they will
    abandon the babies.

Your two are getting old enough now for hormones, so if it were me, I would say adios to the huts. They are cute, but for sure, they are double trouble!
    They are still in separate cages (can't wait for that change!) for now. If they are male and female, and I want the responsibility of babies, should I leave the hut in? Or should I get a nesting box that's bigger? Sprite made a year this past June, but Scout won't be a year old until next March or April. How soon can they start producing eggs? I feel like Sprite (older) may be male, and Scout may be female, but I don't have anything solid to back that up.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Huts are awful for a mating couple because they will lay eggs and they are not good nests at all. If it does end up they are male and female and you want babies a nesting box is the best thing. They keep the babies safe where huts get very nasty with poop and worse the babies fall out of them. If I were you I would DNA the birds so you know what sex they are. Both sexes shred like crazy but girls master tucking the strips into there feathers. DNA tests from Avian tech are cheap and the worst part of it is you have to pluck out 3 or 4 chest feathers. Lovebirds are hard to sex without a DNA test. Girls don't always lay eggs right away so it could be a couple years before a egg is laid. Boys are easy to raise and huts or beds for them are good. Boomer had a homemade box made out of a plastic chalk box. We cut out one side and added a perch and cotton cloth and he loved it. Girls would lay eggs constantly in a hut or box.

Remove Ads