where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Intro to Sprite and Scout!

I am not sure what the spots could be either. But I understand your panic when you checked the internet of the possibilities as I have done the same if I have noticed something unusual with my birds too. Don't let Dr Google panic you too much, it may be nothing and could possibly be from the toys or something genetic. The good thing is her behaviour is the same, and her diet sounds great, I did not think pellets would have much fat in them. The vet that performed our Kiara's autopsy mentioned that abnormalities in the liver can be caused from an inherited genetic condition, unsafe paint in the cages (but these are usually for old vintage cages) and diet, among other things. I do wonder if it is a genetic thing or something to do with her particular mutation, that these spots may develop. I really hope you will get some answers from the vet and hope she does a thorough examination on her to check what is going on. Your little ones are in my prayers! And, I too, will watch out for an update on Scout.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Yesterday we went to the vet. It was time for both Sprite and Scout to get their yearly check-ups, but I was mostly there for Scout because of those red feathers, which could possibly be a sign of liver disease. She noted the red feathers and poked and prodded and listened, but she said that she didn't see any other signs that it could be caused by liver disease. Other signs would've included: yellow or green poop; purple-ish "bruises" on the beak or toenails; feeling fluid or swelling; lethargy. She said that liver disease is caused by poor diet/nutrition, and since Scout is on a proper diet of 70% - 80% pellets, with 20% - 30% seeds, she should not have liver disease. I asked the vet what else could cause her red feathers, and she said it could be hereditary, but since we don't know anything about her parents, there's no way of knowing. She told me to watch Scout, and if I see any of the other possible symptoms, to call them and she would run some blood tests, but she didn't see a reason to do that based on just the feathers. I'm not sure if Scout has recently molted; when you have 5 lovebirds, there's a constant flow of molted feathers, and it's not always easy to tell which feather belongs to which bird. We'll have to see. Both Sprite and Scout had great check-ups! I feel better. But I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Last night, I cleaned the cages, and let them all out while I scrubbed. It was chaos and they wore me out, but I think they had fun.

Oh! I almost forgot! Awhile back, my vet had told me that someone had found a zebra finch in their yard, caught it (not sure how), and brought it to the vet. They were hoping to find it a home. And he did! Us! I had bought a wide cage with a divider down the middle at a bird show last year. So our Gouldian, Napoleon, is on the left side, and our new Zebra is on the right. They called him Zazu, and he is SO cute and active! Zebras are definitely louder than Goudians.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Congratulations on the new finch!! I am happy your birds are all healthy and fine and the vet told you not to worry about Scout. Now you can just sit back and watch all the fun things going on with the birds with no worries.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I am so glad as well that the vet said it was nothing to worry about at this stage. I would have thought the same, that their would be other symptoms and she is on a very healthy diet. Is there any way to find out about her parents from the breeder? If I remember correctly, she came from the same breeder as Sprite, but wasn't hand raised like sprite was? I wonder if there is a way to see who her parents were and see their colours to match them. I know how you feel about the molten feathers, I have them all over the place here now, all different colours lol and the only way I can tell who's is who is if some feathers stay inside the cage. It is definitely hard when you have many birds. I like to collect the feathers and when I know who it is from I put them in a labelled bag with their name

And also congratulations on the little finch! I am glad napoleon has a little friend to talk to in their little finch language. I think finches are so so adorable. I see green finches a lot in the summer time here outside they come along with the sparrows to drink water and eat. There was another member on this forum who named her lovebird Zazu, but I haven't seen a post from her in a long time since last year. I think that is cute, Napoleon and Zazu! It sounds like last night was a crazy night, may I ask what time do you put the birds to sleep and what time do you wake them up?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Great news for your Scout! I'm so happy the vet found no evidence of liver disease at this time.
    And, congrats on your new finch! They are such beautiful birds!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

I'm not sure that the breeder would remember which two birds were her parents. Scout is 2 now, was born in an outdoor aviary, and the breeder has been having health issues (cancer). She actually cancelled her table at the bird show in July at the last minute. (Very unlike her.)

I typically cover them around 10 p.m. at night and uncover them around 7 a.m., for the most part. Sometimes it's later, like on weekends. I'm trying to cover them earlier to mimic the shorter winter days (and discourage breeding for awhile) but I can't seem to. My house just isn't quiet, and since they are in the living room, they are in the middle of everything.

The new finch is doing well. I wish I had his energy! Zebras are noisier than Gouldians, and they noises are different. Napoleon (Gould) makes noises similar to video game sounds ... Pew pew pew, etc., and Zazu sounds more like a squeaky toy ... Squeaky-squeak-ah. Between them and the loud lovebirds, there's no peace in my house, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I found a yellow, warning sign on Amazon (I guess it's an OSHA safety sign) that says, CAUTION: HIGH NOISE AREA, HEARING PROTECTION MAY BE REQUIRED. I plan on hanging it by my front door.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I understand what you mean, my house is never quiet anymore either. Someone is always chirping from 6am right through until 6 or 7 at night. Usually the lovebirds will stay quiet after they get their blankets at night time and not start chirping until 6 in the morning when they hear the wild birds outside. The conures are a different story, even after blanket time at night the big conure won't stop shouting for at least another hour even in the dark because I guess she does not want to sleep. I would not have it any other way either, I especially love hearing the lovebirds when they chirp from the morning til bedtime. Peachfaces are definitely quite loud though! And have different sounds to my other ones.

The finches sound like they have the most adorable sounds! We sometimes get wild green finches outside and I love hearing them and the sparrows chirping outside. That sounds like reasonable hours for sleeping and I would imagine being in the lounge room it would be a bit harder to get the lovebirds to sleep. I've also tried to mimic shorter winter day too, even during the winter time itself, to try to make the birds hormones calm down and get them out of nest mode. For some of them it worked and for some it did not. Do all your animals stop making noise once they have their covers? And they start talking in the morning even if they are still covered?

I can't believe scout is 2 already, time is flying! Most of my lovebirds, apart from three of the peach faces are between 2 to 3 years old now too.

Lol I like the sound of that sign on Amazon, I think I'm going to need one of those too!

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    I understand what you mean, my house is never quiet anymore either. Someone is always chirping from 6am right through until 6 or 7 at night. Usually the lovebirds will stay quiet after they get their blankets at night time and not start chirping until 6 in the morning when they hear the wild birds outside. The conures are a different story, even after blanket time at night the big conure won't stop shouting for at least another hour even in the dark because I guess she does not want to sleep. I would not have it any other way either, I especially love hearing the lovebirds when they chirp from the morning til bedtime. Peachfaces are definitely quite loud though! And have different sounds to my other ones.

The finches sound like they have the most adorable sounds! We sometimes get wild green finches outside and I love hearing them and the sparrows chirping outside. That sounds like reasonable hours for sleeping and I would imagine being in the lounge room it would be a bit harder to get the lovebirds to sleep. I've also tried to mimic shorter winter day too, even during the winter time itself, to try to make the birds hormones calm down and get them out of nest mode. For some of them it worked and for some it did not. Do all your animals stop making noise once they have their covers? And they start talking in the morning even if they are still covered?

I can't believe scout is 2 already, time is flying! Most of my lovebirds, apart from three of the peach faces are between 2 to 3 years old now too.

Lol I like the sound of that sign on Amazon, I think I'm going to need one of those too!
    The lovebirds will make noises for a little while after they are covered, and then they settle down. In the morning, they start BEFORE the covers come off. They're like toddlers: don't need a lot of sleep and always ready to GO!
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is too funny. When Boomer was alive I often thought he acted like my daughter when she was a baby. They know better not to be so loud and obnoxious but they just cannot control themselves
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads