Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel owner passed away now Im looking after him

Name
    Toni
    Thanks

Cockatiel owner passed away now Im looking after him

I have recently took on a Cockatiel that can not fly very well (so I've been told anyway). The previous owner never had him out of the cage as he hisses and goes to bite. I've sat with him for hours and he had stopped hissing. Today I decided to try let him out and put a ladder at the cage door, he will come up to the cage to see me but will not come out. Is this just a waiting game? Will he never let me handle him or even come out?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 1,003 Posts

Re: Cockatiel owner passed away now Im looking after him

Hi, Toni, and welcome to the community. Patuence and time are on your side. Yes, it will take time, especially since he was never out of cage, but congrats, because he has stopped hissing. That is great progress. It is like taking baby steps with him. One day, there may be a new behavior, the next day, he may revert back to his old way of living. But do not lose heart. You are doing the number one best thing for him by talking to him. Also, you can read a child's book to him, eat a snack whike you are sitting by the cage. That will encourage him to eat. Get some millet sprigs at the petshop. Use them for treats. Hang one in the cage. Let him eat off the top of one. Extend your hand and arm out so that they are far enough away from him he will not get afraid. Play soft music on a radio, or Cd olayer for him. Just leave the cage door open, with the ladder placed where he can can climb out of the cage. Be sure to have all electrical cords and computer accessories including keyboards out of his reach. Remove any mirrors off the walls so he does not fly into them. Let him take as much time as he needs to come out. Do not force him out.

His wing muscles will be very weak because he has been caged for so long. I think once he gets out and starts to exercise, he will get his ability to fly back, but that will take time.

Feed him lots of cuttlebone and cooked chicken egg shells. Crush the shells and mix in his seed. Crush a cuttlebone and put some of it in a separate food cup. Feed fresh veggies and fruits. You also can chop the cooked egg and put it in the seed mix, or separate in a food cup. The egg is great protein for him.

Go to a website called cockatiel cottage. There you will find a great list of foods to feed, and those you should not ever feed. And it also has a ton of information about tiel care and behavior.

He will become more trusting each day. Praise him as a good boy when you talk to him. Talk..talk..talk!!! They love it! Male cockatiels are very verbal, can learn to speak words, wolf whistle, mimic sounds, and sing and whistle tunes.

We will welcome updates anytime. I totally admire you for rescuing this little tiel.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-14-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Toni
    Thanks

Thank you that's really helped, I had birds when I was younger but that's a while ago now aha. I've already bought him millet today and given him it he loves it he also likes it when I make strange noises or I think he does as he comes to the front of the cage onto the bars and chirps softly. I will have a look on the website and try him with different foods and see what he likes. I don't like animals cadged so will leave the cage open whenever I'm at home & yes I know he is very vocal my partner can't get him to calm down when I leave the room soon as I come back in he stops screeching so no chance of sleeping in now aha
    Thank you once again for your help & advice
    Kind regards Toni

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are welcome, Toni. I corrected your name in my first post. I typed Tom by mistake. I think he is doing great. He already is considering you to be his friend and his mate. Most every caged bird considers us to be their mate, because out in the wild, birds just normally live in mated pairs. With caged birds, both females and males think of us as their mate.

Male cockatiels can mimic some really unique sounds. Barking like a dog, sounds like punching in the numbers on a cell phone, or the sound of a phone ringing. Whistling entire songs.

You have already made this little guy happier than he has ever been in his life! That is just so special. You are going to love this journey with him. We will welcome updates and pictures anytime!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gemma Watson
    Thanks

It takes time to get friendly with a new owner. May be he is missing the old owner. Give him much time.
    A great portal for enthusiastic bird owners ParakeetHome and MacawLand

Name
    Toni
    Thanks

Joey started with the hissing again today when I had my hand in this cage but he has stopped again now.
    He did have a mate but she passed away some years ago and would not accept another female.
    I will upload some pics & updates on how he is doing
    He has never been friendly with anyone from what I can gather. Thank you

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Birds have a keen ability to know whether or not it is safe to connect with a caregiver. And it is appaent he already has love and trust for you The poor thing has been all alone for all that time with hardly anyone paying much attention to him.

Cockatiels are people birds, and they love and crave attention! It really is anazing how he has taken to you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-15-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gemma Watson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbeck View Post
    Joey started with the hissing again today when I had my hand in this cage but he has stopped again now.
    He did have a mate but she passed away some years ago and would not accept another female.
    I will upload some pics & updates on how he is doing
    He has never been friendly with anyone from what I can gather. Thank you
    It's great! can't wait to see
    A great portal for enthusiastic bird owners ParakeetHome and MacawLand

Remove Ads