Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new peach faced lovebird

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

My new peach faced lovebird

Hi all!

Me again! I've been around the forums a lot lately, and was going to wait a bit, but couldn't resist mentioning that we now have a peach faced lovebird as of today! It was quite an impulse buy, We had decided to go to the petshop today to find some nice new toys for our current birdies, this the same local family owned store we have been to many times and who previously had 6 peach faced lovebirds, and sold one leaving 5. Everytime we would visit there, one would always be at the bottom of the cage (it used to be two but perhaps her bonded friend was the first one that sold), she seemed ok but I think she was at the bottom of the pecking order with her previous bonded friend. She wouldn't always chirp when the other members of her flock were chirping either and I think bullying had occurred too, and we did see the bullying a few times such as someone kicking someone out of a perching spot or away from water and food. So today we decided to bring the little girl home! Well my fiancÚ did and the little bird melted my heart so I agreed too. We think its a girl via behaviour and tail shape, but we are not entirely sure. Her name is Luna. She should be roughly 8 months old. We were even at the pet shop shopping when the breeder brought her and her flock there! That was earlier this year.

I have attached some photos via the link below:

http://imgur.com/gallery/5gFa5

We wanted to bring one more home, and we even stayed at the store for ages watching them all interact and seeing if one of the others was a close friend of hers so they could go together, but it didn't look like it. We even rang the shop again after coming home to ask if any of the other lovebirds were looking for her or seemed lonely or anything and they said no, they were eating and perching and not really screaming out for her (and I think they were being honest, they are still a business after all so they still need to sell). Within the first 30 minutes in our home, Luna was already chirping out to our other lovebirds! She started eating a lot, drank water, something I didn't see much of at the store due to being at the bottom of the pecking order. I think she is happy. And I hope she is I initially am not usually on the look out for more birds, my fiancÚ is the one who is usually on the alert, but I think for now, we will leave our flock as they are, at least that is my hope I am overall glad we did get Luna today, she now has a cage all to herself and she perches high instead of below and can eat whenever she likes, and she can chirp with my other lovebirds in the other room and she stays in the lounge now until quarantine is over but at least its not a lonely quarantine, so she'll keep me company there while I'm at my study table or watching TV, we like to play Enya and new age music for them.

I am wondering though, what is her colour mutation? I tried to google this. Is she Aqua Turquoise? It's the first peach faced I've owned. And if you look closely at the top of her head, it seems very plucked. Does that appear to be bullying? She was at the bottom of the pecking order at the store so I wouldn't be surprised if one of the others did that to her, and it was one of the main reasons we took her in. And will it grow in again, the feathers that appear to be plucked? When she first arrived at the store, it looked like a feather was in her eye so the shopkeeper did try to brush it away from her eye, and it doesn't appear the way it did its just the plucked head.

Thanks everybody in advance!

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Re: My new peach faced lovebird

Luna is a very pretty gal. Congrats on the new bird and thanks for taking her in. Feather plucking is usually caused by stress- cage too small, lonely, not enough time out of the cage, changes in the environment, or loosing her bonded friend. But this is ontop of her head where she can't reach to pluck herself. It could be that she was rubbing her head against something, like to scratch or. Or the others could have done it. It should grow back. I don't know anything about lovebird mutations, sorry! She is a cutie though. I recently had a male that looked exactly like her!
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    Jack O' Lantern., Buddy Clone. Jonny File.
    Winter Wing. Ollysaurus Becky Siberian. Kellie Kelster,and
    Riffraff.Fluster Bird.Pother Panther. 6 eggs..
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Awww!! Luna is gorgeous!! I am very sure she is in the perfect home with awesome caregivers. And, I also am sure she is super happy to be alone in her own cage. After quarantine, she may be a bird that will be much happier in her own cage for the long term. I have no doubt she probablly has been emotionally affected from the others who were dominating her, bullying her, or chasing her out of the food and water cups too.

It is possible since she is about 8 months old, the feather loss on her head could be a sign of her first pre-molt. At her age, bringing her home, into a new environment, and a much better diet, also could trigger molting as well, so at this point I would not be real concerned about her head. I have had new birds molt after they are with me for awhile. Being so young, I think she will replace those head feathers, in time.

And also, whether girl or boy, puberty and hormonal behavior will begin before long!

Thank you for rescuing her!!!! We will be excited to hear updates about her and your flock anytime! She is soooo precioius and beautiful! Congratulations!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-15-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love her! If she is young that orange on her heard could become super bright. Orangeface peachfaces are stunning. We had a few here and they are gorgeous. But I know nothing really about mutations. I am happy you got her and hopefully it will get along with the others.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Aqua/

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Kat, and nice to meet you! Thanks for the info, I think you're right its too far on her head for her to reach and pluck and the rest of her is fine not plucked so I think it was from bullying. I was at the pet shop the day she was brought there with her flock months ago, and I remember they all looked fine, no one looked plucked, and Luna only had one feather that seemed to be going near her eye only but that was it. I hope it does grows back.

Thanks Ellen and Deanna as well, its possible she could be moulting or about to start moulting. I do think the head is more related to bullying than moulting, but my other lovebirds are still moulting their feathers as well, it must be moulting season. I don't know how long moulting lasts though. They seem to have been moulting for months now! I hope the hormonal behaviour doesn't start straight away, especially with Luna but at least she has the cage to herself and without any hormone provoking toys to my knowledge lol. She has been eating a lot, and is chirping to the other lovebirds. I previously gave her some seeds we had that were similar to the ones she had at the pet shop just so she would feel comfortable and only noticed the sunflowers and millet being eaten, so I changed and gave her the cockatiel mix I give to my others and saw her eating even more and she has started eating the oat groats too from the mix so cockatiel mix is the winner in our household! We hung her French millet and red millet and regular millet and she has been trying them as well as a treat we put hanging for her. She also had two baths yesterday, the first one my fiancÚ gave to her, and then the second one she did it for herself. We noticed she wasn't going to the water bowl at the bottom enough, so we put a bowl more higher of water and within minutes she went there to have her own second bath! They all seem to have more baths in the winter rather than in summer. How exciting I didn't realise that her colour might change even more, I will be interested to see this after her moult! She doesn't have black on her beak, and I remember the day when they arrived at the shop, her and her previous flock didn't have black on their beak either. When does the black from the beak disappear from peach faces? I heard its stays longer than for other kinds of lovebirds? This might help me determine her approximate age.

Thanks Stephane for the colour! I thought it was Aqua something from my google searches.

I think soon enough my little home will become a birdie zoo lol
    Last edited by marroqui; 07-16-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: noticed more replies to my post

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

I went to a bird show when I was 15 to buy a pair of cockatiel, I came back with a pair of ringnecked parakeet, 17 years later my pair became 40 birds, like a lot of us you will have your zoo

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    Hi Kat, and nice to meet you! Thanks for the info, I think you're right its too far on her head for her to reach and pluck and the rest of her is fine not plucked so I think it was from bullying. I was at the pet shop the day she was brought there with her flock months ago, and I remember they all looked fine, no one looked plucked, and Luna only had one feather that seemed to be going near her eye only but that was it. I hope it does grows back.

Thanks Ellen and Deanna as well, its possible she could be moulting or about to start moulting. I do think the head is more related to bullying than moulting, but my other lovebirds are still moulting their feathers as well, it must be moulting season. I don't know how long moulting lasts though. They seem to have been moulting for months now! I hope the hormonal behaviour doesn't start straight away, especially with Luna but at least she has the cage to herself and without any hormone provoking toys to my knowledge lol. She has been eating a lot, and is chirping to the other lovebirds. I previously gave her some seeds we had that were similar to the ones she had at the pet shop just so she would feel comfortable and only noticed the sunflowers and millet being eaten, so I changed and gave her the cockatiel mix I give to my others and saw her eating even more and she has started eating the oat groats too from the mix so cockatiel mix is the winner in our household! We hung her French millet and red millet and regular millet and she has been trying them as well as a treat we put hanging for her. She also had two baths yesterday, the first one my fiancÚ gave to her, and then the second one she did it for herself. We noticed she wasn't going to the water bowl at the bottom enough, so we put a bowl more higher of water and within minutes she went there to have her own second bath! They all seem to have more baths in the winter rather than in summer. How exciting I didn't realise that her colour might change even more, I will be interested to see this after her moult! She doesn't have black on her beak, and I remember the day when they arrived at the shop, her and her previous flock didn't have black on their beak either. When does the black from the beak disappear from peach faces? I heard its stays longer than for other kinds of lovebirds? This might help me determine her approximate age.

Thanks Stephane for the colour! I thought it was Aqua something from my google searches.

I think soon enough my little home will become a birdie zoo lol
    Glad I could help!

You're not the only one, at first I had a canary, couple months later got two bonded female cockatiels. A couple months later I got even more cockatiels, 2 pairs, two old babies from one pair, and two little hatchets from the same pair, and now I've hatched more of my own. I currently have 12 birdies, only because I regimes a couple of the babies lol. So yeah, birds are addicting!!
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    Jack O' Lantern., Buddy Clone. Jonny File.
    Winter Wing. Ollysaurus Becky Siberian. Kellie Kelster,and
    Riffraff.Fluster Bird.Pother Panther. 6 eggs..
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Yes its quite addictive isn't it! 40 birds is a lot! I didn't think I would have this many, we started with three lovebirds who just melted my heart the moment they arrived, then got one more to even them out as a flock of four. It was just the four for the first 3 months I think, and then my fiancÚ saw an ad for Nala and Iki and how the owner of them didn't have time for them and when he saw Nala's clipped wing he felt so bad and was dying to get them, we almost didn't get them but in the end we did, and then they were a 6. Then kovu and Kiara came along, because my fiancÚ started another temporary fruit picking job and overheard the boss talking about how his lovebirds were scaring his other much larger pets lol and so they came to our home too. Then recently socrates the Indian ringneck for mostly the same reason owners didn't want them anymore and now Luna from the shop. Funnily enough, the past few months we have had our eye on three lovebirds at another pet shop nearby, 2 masked and a fishers, there was originally about 6 or 8 I think but they sold and there has been three there now for ages. I wonder if they will end up here and the flock will become the lucky 13 Haven't been to that shop in awhile though so I'm not sure if they are still there. I am really loving conures too, but want to ensure I can look after all the flock and divide attention equally before thinking of getting one.

I've got another question about Luna, understandably I know she was definitely bullied previously hence why she looked plucked on her head, however I've been looking at her eyes recently, and am wondering if everything looks healthy there? We should be going to a vet on Saturday, but I thought I would ask for opinions on here as well. Pictures are attached here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2idaq

In the picture she is still a bit wet from having a bath. It doesn't look like it could be an infection of some sorts does it? Could it just be another result of the bullying that happened to her? Maybe she hurt herself in that area when defending herself or trying to get away from the bullying. I am 100% sure when we saw her and her flock arrive at the shop months ago, they all looked very healthy, and Luna just had one really small feather string just going near the top of one of her eyes, and apart from that all good. I am thinking its related to the bullying but I don't know anything about avian eye issues so I'm not 100% sure. She's still in quarantine and stays in the lounge. She is chirping with the other lovebirds though, and is eating and pooping healthily and drinking water. She even tried a piece of celery today and Brussel sprout too. At the shop she was always at the bottom of the cage but here she is always high on her perches.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

On the 2nd picture the eye looks a bit irritated, have you seen her rub her head against the cage?

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

In here, no she hasnt been rubbing her head, only her beak on her perches when she's finished eating. If she did it would have been when she was still at the pet shop. I remember when we first got kiara she was rubbing too hard on one of her perches and it made her eye a little red, but this was because of the actual perch and the colouring of the perch went to the eye, so we changed the perch and the red went away. I hope there isn't anything wrong with luna. I'm trying to picture when we used to see luna at the store and I think the same eye that had the feather string going near it is the same one as the 2nd picture.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! She is so sweet. I would be concerned about that eye too!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi everyone.

Today we took Luna to the vet 20 minutes away whom has been extremely helpful with our previous worries with our birds. She thoroughly examined luna, and also was looking at her eye too, whilst looking she was thinking that the eyes were not in line with each other, as in not even, however she also took a photo and in the photo they did appear in line. I mentioned also that she seemed to have a small feather growing near her eye when we first saw at the store months ago, but that everything else looked fine and how she was possibly bullied and she mentioned that the feather growth might be uneven but that she does look fine, and does not appear to have any kinds of infection. She said the feather loss on the head could have been due to the plucking like we thought but also due to injury, and even asked if she's flown up to the top of her cage a lot and hurt herself and caused injury, which she hasn't whilst with us the past week, but at the shop its possible but we do not know. But all in all, she said she appears well, and when we first opened the top of the travel carrier she flew out (all doors were closed and locked so she couldn't escape) and had a bit of a fly before we managed to get her, and the vet even said that was good to get an indication of her behaviour and flying skills etc, and her poop is fine and she's eating and drinking well (she devoured celery in the travel carrier!) and chirping to the others. She still recommended quarantine for at least 2-3 weeks too, but mentioned most issues arise within the 1st week. So all appears to be fine but we will still keep our eye on her.

I've noticed, one of her toes doesn't have a nail though, its like a closed toe, is this something that happens at birth? Because socrates, our Indian ringneck also has the same thing.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

I've noticed, one of her toes doesn't have a nail though, its like a closed toe, is this something that happens at birth? Because socrates, our Indian ringneck also has the same thing.
    No. Surely due to a fight, if there's no nail atall it will never grow back, but don't worry, it happens it's not a problem for your bird

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am so happy to read Luna is in good health!!!! Yaaaaaay!

Remove Ads