where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: signs that a lovebird has abandoned their eggs

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: signs that a lovebird has abandoned their eggs

Thanks Stephane. I always thought it was the towels. At first it was the happy huts (hammocks) which started this mating and egg laying problem in the first place, but once we took that away, they stopped and were back to their usual selves, but all of a sudden Ashu began to notice the towel more, and started to become protective of it and they started sleeping in the towel. Then as the weather began to get more cold, it made her want to lay eggs. We change the towels everyday. I feel like we are stupid for putting towels. It only started because of Asha falling in the past, and we got concerned with the ones in bigger cages and them falling even though it hasn't happened.

They get blanketed at 4:30 now and are in full darkness by about 5:15. Sunset here is at 4:50 in the afternoon anyway. They usually wake up around 5 something in the morning now but chirp softly, and they dont get blankets removed until after 8:00, because of the cold weather and to make them know that it is winter and not egg laying time.

The eggs are infertile because they are two girls. My last resort is to separate them permanently, but it will break my heart to do this because they are really close to each other, and are the only two that do not fight and they are not mean to each other. The other pairs are always mean to their friend, even when they are bonded to each other.

Today Ashu laid another egg. It was overnight because it was there this morning when they were uncovered. As Ellen mentioned previously, I think she is replacing the ones we removed. So far, its been 4 eggs in the last month. I think if she lays again, we have to leave it there for her to lay her clutch and wait for her to abandon them. I just do not want Asha to also lay eggs and be encouraged and for them to lose strength or have issues with egg binding. They are strong girls though but I am still worried about them. I love all the birds, but these two are really special. They were disadvantaged from the start and we did everything to make sure they were happy and included in all birdie activities, especially Asha when she could not fly.

Two days ago we transferred them to a larger cage as planned. But it didn't distract them. They were trying to mate again after a few hours.

We put a heater in the doorway of their room during the day (only when at home off course) but it is on low heat so it's just enough to make sure they are not frozen as we are getting -1 degree mornings now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Hi, Laila. I feel that the change in season for you, is probably one factor, in the egg laying. And, as I shared before, anything that is cloth like, that they can hide in, or mate with, will encourage the egg laying. And you know, with my chronic egg laying cockatiel I had, she would make a fuss in the daytime, so much so, I began covering her, and taking her cage to the bedroom for a time out! This was a big mistake on my part, because it was exactly what she wanted....to be in the dark, doing her mating ritual, and preparing her nest, which was only the cage bottom, with paper towels on the bottom, because I do not use grates. And so, I set her up perfectly for laying eggs. And, of course, that was never my intention. It evolved into her laying her eggs all the time. So, really, to cover them, only encourages the egg laying ritual. And I also put her to bed early at night, about 5 ish, thinking long nights would stop her. Again, a perfect setup for her egg laying comfort zone. I also tried not feeding soft foods, never touched her body, only head top, etc., etc, but it did not stop her.

After all of this prevention, she still continued laying eggs. That being several years ago, and after reading many posts here over the last few years, about other owners having this challenge, I think the best approach, is to continue prevention techniques which each caregiver decides is best for them, but realize Mother Nature still rules over our hens and their egg laying habits, and the best we can do is to feed them an excellent diet, and plenty of calcium rich foods and cuttlebone, and perhaps additional vitamins on occasion, if they do not eat pellets, and try hard to keep up our regimen to keep them healthy to the best of our ability.

You are fortunate they are hens that live together, and are not a pair, because then, you would have the decision of whether to allow the eggs to hatch, or use dummy eggs and dispose of the fertile eggs. And, even after one hatched clutch of eggs, you for sure would have to deal with that challenge all the time.

As to egg binding, in my view, that often happens when a hen first starts laying her eggs, and is not as likely to happen, once she has laid several eggs, has a great diet, and plenty of calcium. Even if your hens were to become chronic egg layers, I am sure, like me, you would not give them lupron shots, or have them neutered. Both can kill little birds,whereas natural egg laying, even though challenging, will not result in such a horrifying death as medical intervention.

I know how you love your flock, and are an awesome caregiver to every one of them. Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-02-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, thank you for your response too and talking about little Ollie as well. I wish somehow that she was able to stop, but as you have mentioned, Mother Nature must have been a big influence on her. It's funny how the things that are suggested online to stop egg laying, doesnt always help. I do wonder how breeders give their breeding pairs a break, and how they all just stop laying eggs once there nest boxes are gone.

I also did not know that information about egg binding, and that it can mostly happen to first timers, it does put me at ease a little bit. I will never give any kinds of shots to any of my birds, they are too small, especially the lovebirds. I still remember when a vet nurse wanted to put kiara under anaesthesia just to take her leg ring off. Really glad we did not do that and went to our regular vet 25 minutes away instead who just snipped it off within 30 seconds without any need for anaesthesia!

Ashu and Asha are back in their small cage again, which was rearranged again, in a more basic way. They have their usual food and water bowls but only ONE toy now and it is a big toy on one side of the cage, I thought they were afraid of it at first as they were not going to that side of the cage for awhile then later on I saw baby Asha perching on the top of the toy and shouting with the others, which put a smile on my face. They still have a towel, but only one (before there was two so they were going and hiding / sleeping in between). This was about a week ago. Since then I only caught them mating ONCE, so this is progress again. It was Ashu on the top of Asha this time so I interrupted them and since then it hasn't happened.

Ashu has been chirping a lot this week and it makes me so happy to see and hear her chirp because when she was all "nesty" and thinking about and laying eggs she wasnt chirping as much, but since the transfer back to their smaller rearranged cage again, she's talking with the others a lot now. One other major change we made was with their night time blanket (which is also their daytime blanket on really cold days). They now share a blanket with Nala and Iki, so one blanket covers both the cages of them, and I think this creates lack of privacy for them and may have possibly helped them stop the egg laying, for now anyway. Boy do Nala and Ashu hang on the bars of their cages and stare at each other, tweeting a lot. I call nala my little security guard. She stays on the side of her cage thats next to Asha/Ashu's cage and stares at them, sometimes shouting as well, so she's my security guard and makes sure that Asha and Ashu don't mate with each other

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Laila. Hopefully, your rearrangements and the cover will discourage them, at least for awhile. I too agree about info on the web. I think most of it is written with candor, but when it comes down to deciding what to do, I think every bird is unique, and will have individual behaviors. But I will say, others in the home, even if in separate cages, can and often do influence each other.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Lol... That's too funny Nala cheeps and you know when Ashu and Asha are humping each other.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

You are right Ellen, every bird is unique, and I think what works for one bird won't always work for another. It has been about two weeks now I think since an egg has been laid so fingers crossed this lasts as long as possible. I've stopped giving them hanging millet sprays too because they just go and get the stringy branch part from the top to chew instead. The same with hanging French millet too. Sometimes I still give it to them but I hold it while they eat it, although I think they are not happy about that

Lol Deanna, yeah it is funny. Thankfully it hasn't happened this week, apart from once, and I stopped them straight away as I was right outside the door sitting and just poked my head in and saw them. And where was Nala? Well she definitely was not doing her job because she was on the other side of her cage chatting with Luna instead so I had to find out about the mating by myself by poking my head in I've been told I do not pay her enough money for her to do her security work properly And, yesterday I was sitting on the floor of their room, as I like to do before their bed and blanket time, I was on the phone and I saw Nala passing a hanging French millet over to Ashu and Asha's cage! I was shocked haha. I'm not sure if she was doing it on purpose but she was playing with it on that side of the cage next to Ashu and Asha's cage and it was a long piece so somehow as she was chewing it, it was being passed through Ashu and Asha's cage bars and they got it. Naughty little babies.

I am keeping a closer eye on most of them now as it seems that winter time is making a lot of them want to mate. I had to stop Ashi and Koko twice this week, and Kovu, even though she is alone she looks like she is making a nest on one of her toys so I'm removing that toy today. I honestly do not know what toys to give them anymore. They are supposed to love chewing things, but everything they chew makes them want to lay eggs and mate. Ashu and Asha have this natural wooden perch and have just discovered that can peel some of the wood and chew it, and it seems to make them have hormonal behaviour because they when they peel a piece they so this thing where they are chewing it and also spreading their wings at the same time. The only toy that seems to be beneficial to them is their swings.

I'm hoping to provide an update on everyone with photos soon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would say you are Sherlock Holmes II!!!! They sure keep you busy! Apparently, winters do seem to uptake their hormones, in your beautiful area. I wonder how many people ever think of all the "stuff" that happens to birds when we longingly stand and decide which one or more we will take home!

When I brought my Ollie, the cockatiel home, I sure never thought she would lay eggs. A single cockatiel with no mate in my home?? So, I can sure identify with egg laying. Rest assured, however you are doing a great job with your females, and they are healthy and happy! That is a real bossing for them and for you!! Keep up the awesome care you give all of your flock members.

Remove Ads