where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Urgent help needed new baby born

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

Urgent help needed new baby born

My pair has had two clutches, first was all infertile I think due to not knowing "how" at first. Now the mother is in with eggs and one has hatched, so thrilling but the dad has totally abandon her. She is on the box with first hatch ling and i hear it peeping and all day she has not come out to eat. How can i make sure this baby will be ok?? I have formula from hand feeding my conure and cockatiel so know how to "feed" these guys but not this young. Help please I have been reading like crazy and value your opinions. Please do not BASH me for being inexperienced breeder. I was not trying to become a breeder just experience this joy once. i have kind heart and love my animals. Please just give me advice. Thanks and God Bless

PS Maxollie i hope you answer.......

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Re: Urgent help needed new baby born

Generally in the beginning only the female feed the chick, and the male feed the female, that's probably why you didn't saw her out of the nest , before trying anything try to see if the crop of the chicks is empty or not.

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

If you want more answers than from this site, contact rescues that take in birds. They would know what to do. However, you will find the right advice on this site also. I am not real good at this, so I will let others advice you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 1,022 Posts

Hi, Lynn! Congratulations, grandma!!!! And welcome back. Stephane is correct. The hen feeds the babies, and the male feeds the mom. The mom will spend the majority of her time in the box. On occasion you may see her come out to drink water, and maybe eat a few seeds. But she will soon get back into the box, and dad will watch over the babies while she is out.

The good news is that you can hear the baby cheeping. If you heard nothing, that would not be good for sure. From what I remember about my babies, they never were 100% quiet. Even at night I might hear them, because the mom feeds them around the clock. How many eggs are there? The more eggs, the more food they need to feed them. So put plenty of seed in the cup so dad can eat the seed, and then hop into the box, regurgitate the seeds to mom, and then mom will feed. I do think that dad does help with the feeding when there are several babies, but mom does the most feeding. Have you peeked into the box yet? You can do so once in awhile, but not all the time, and do not disturb the nest. The eggs will hatch every other day. If possible, the parents should feed them. They are far too tiny to handfeed now, and cannot be removed from the nest. They need the warmth of mom and dad.

No need to give you a scolding, because you have come along way since the days of the log. I had no experience when my pair hatched eggs either. I was shocked to find an egg in the cage. I thought I had 5 males!!! Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-01-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

Two of the babies are doing fabulous and are 11 and 9 days old with eyes open and thriving. She had another hatch alot later and is just 3 days old not. I had to take and try to feed it since she totally pushed it into the corner and kept pushing him away. They other two always had full crops and this one never fed for the first day. I started to hand feed him otherwise he was surely dead. First two days were great. Tonight he is turning a dark purple color. I have been feeding him every 2 hours and not sure what is going wrong and fear he is dying...please HELP...I can't go to vet since my mother in law died this morning. I have so much sorrow now I want this little one to live so badly....please help

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry to hear your mother in law just died and I can only imagine how hard this is on your family. I hope your little baby is going to be OK and completely understand why you really want it to survive. I cannot help you because I have never dealt with babies before. Hopefully someone else here can help you and your baby out.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You have my sympathy at the loss of your mother in law. It is very difficult to keep a new baby alive, because they are so tiny, and really need the food from their parents. Also, they need the warmth of the nest and the mom. As to the purple coloring, it could be that this baby will not make it. Be sure it is warm. Is it still in the nest, or where are you keeping it?

I am so happy for you tbat the first two are thriving. At least they are safe and well. Further, it is possible this baby had a birth dna defect, and may not survive. I have read that the mom has an instinct of babies that have this, and will not feed them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Calysta
    Thanks

The mother bird should take care of the young, but it could be pushed away by her also. Feeding the bird formula through a eye dropper or a surenge will help feed them. Thought... the bird may have a illness / or may have been born with something wrong internally or mentally or physically. In other cases the mother could abandon the baby for no apparent reason rarely (mine did so , I had to raise my bird myself it was hard). I don't know about the dark purple colour but you should keep the baby warm constantly and continue feeding it. And I am sorry .. but I know how it is to raise birds that were not expected, the horrible truth is that it's extremely hard and sometimes the baby could not make it even if you do everything right. I lost four baby's with one survivor (his name is lucky) I suggest you should possibly take the little guy to a bird vet or clinic to get him more help. He should soon be starting to move more and possibly lift his head, depends on development. Keep me posted . I wish u the best of luck!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

We lost the littlest guy,had him in warming area with temp kept great, fed every hour to hour half depending if crop was empty. Just lost him anyway after 4 days. Broke my heart to get up for 2 AM feeding and find him dead. Too much death, mother in law funeral Wed and lost this little guy. My other female in her box alot and has laid 3 eggs and if more to come should lay another today which is the 15th. Tummy looks swollen so bet she does. I love watching how fast they grow. Can't believe the other two are 15 and 13 days already. So cute at this age. People already begging me to get one when old enough. If they are doing great with mom and dad has just taken no interest should i be helping her feed?? She is so tiny. Plus if was to have them "hand raised" should they be "hand fed" or just "hand touched" intermittently so used to humans?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, I feel that if at all possible parrent fed is the best for the babies, because like human breast milk for babies, the regurigitated foods they feed the babies has natural life giving enzymes in them. I have read of owners that will do some hand socializing with each baby, which will prepare them for human touch, so they will be easier to train when a little older. I think your two could have some of that hand socializing now, for a few minutes a few times a day. I would take one at a time, because the mom will be completely upset if you take two out of the nest, and leave her alone.

I am so sorry you lost the baby. It is soooo hard to have that sorrow now, especially since you have also lost your mother-in-law. I am sending you hugs!!

Fly high and free sweet baby!! Over the Rainbow Bridge.

Please post any other concerns and we will try to respond ASAP.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry you lost the baby. Big hugs to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads