where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: indian ringneck pacing too much

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

indian ringneck pacing too much

Hi everyone,

My Indian ringneck Socrates, keeps pacing a lot in his cage. Before he would do it, but only for about 30-45 minutes in the morning after his blanket is taken off him, then he would calm down, and eat, sometimes sees his reflection on his swing and grooms himself with it, takes naps and talks while napping like my other lovebirds too. But the past few days, he has been pacing ALL DAY. It's worrying me a bit because he won't eat like he used to. He pinches a bit of his treat (honey stick), and in the evening when its bedtime is when he will eat more, but from the treat again which is next to his sleeping perch. Before he would go and eat his corn, grapes, strawberries, he loves grapes especially, but now doesn't touch it because he just paces all day. By pacing I mean he jumps back and forth from perch to perch, does the little neck twisting thing I mentioned too when I first posted about him introducing him. I can't figure out what he wants. My partner got him three times yesterday to hold him and calm him down, when he does that Socrates just keeps trying to bite parts of his jacket or glove, sometimes he's alright when he gives him head scratches and makes his little sounds indicating he likes it, but at the same time he's still trying to get away or biting. And when putting him back in the cage he just paces again. We let him fly free yesterday as well in the lounge room, not the birdie room, and all he did was try to figure out how to get back into the bedroom again, even though we brought his cage to the lounge too. We can't let him perch on the lovebirds cages as they will bite, and vice versa, when they get out they fly free in another room as they can't perch on each others cages or on his cage either as they are all feet biters.

I did get a video of him pacing, and another of him growling at me too, if I try to calm him by feeding him or putting my hand near he just growls and tries to bite. He's always done that, and the only way to stop it is to wear a black glove that he is scared of when changing his food and water in the afternoons. I'm just having trouble uploading the video to my laptop, as soon as I'm able to I will put it up and provide a link.

Anyone know what might be wrong with him? I don't think he wants out of the cage, he has a lot of space in there, and he's always been content there, if anything we have to force him out of the cage. I wonder if he's looking for his "imaginary friend" that he sometimes spots from his swing (his reflection). It didn't concern me when he was doing it for 45 minutes in the morning because then he was fine the rest of the day and eating, but now he just seems to do it all day and not eating as much anymore, vegetables barely touches, seeds barely touched.

Thanks in advance.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Re: indian ringneck pacing too much

Hey Laila, where does his cage stay normally? Is he better if he can see his reflection all the time, or better if he can never see it at all? (would take time to forget about it). I would say that I think Ashy likes to hop around a lot and make lots of noise, I think she is actually just enjoying it - she intersperses this with playing with toys, but it isn't repetitive. Her favourite thing is actually to hang out on the top of her cage with lots of toys that she can pick up and drop off the side of the cage. She likes to stay in the same area as her cage and really likes having a little play area up there, for AGES. Whereas I find my cockatiels like to fly everywhere and explore.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I do not recall his age. My thought is that it is hormones Seeing that reflection has caused his hormones to uptick The pacing is probably because he is wanting a mate, but I do have concern he is not eating as he was. Do you see any evidence of him molting? Spring is around the corner for you, and I tthink this is probably similar to the lovebirds hormone frenzy now. Sometimes molting will slow down the eating some, and it is typical for a male to go to bed one night fine, and then the next morning have a completely differently behavior. The biting is the indication of hormones I would watch his droppings, watch for excessive sleep, lethargy, not eating or drinking at all, all puffed up, watery eyes, even sitting on the cage floor, because those would be an indication of illness.

Oh, the life of a hormonal bird!!!! I agree with Sammy of not seeing his reflection at all. You may need to remove that item from the cage, and also, no bells or mirrors for him.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Sammy, thanks for the reply! His cage is usually in the bedroom with the other lovebirds. He's always been fine like that and likes to sometimes just watch them and sometimes just falls asleep watching them while they chirp and scream and go about their day lol. But the last few days all of a sudden he just seems frustrated or anxious, the way he paces doesn't seem like happy pacing. I need to find a way to upload the video I made and will provide a link once I have. With the reflection, when he notices it on the swing, he goes to it and makes these little "cooing" noises, like happy small noises, just soft chirps and then he rubs his head on the swing where he sees his reflection (so its as if someone is scratching/grooming him but its the swing). Then normally he just walks away but then starts pacing when he walks away, almost as if its like his imaginary friend disappeared (but it was him who walked away lol). So its like a good thing the reflection, but then a bad thing if his pacing because of it.

Today I tried something different and after a few hours of him pacing, I moved his cage closer to the wall then I moved two of the lovebirds cages on each side of him, very close to him, one at the front and one on the side, and after this he calmed down. He went to eat his vegetables, some of his seeds, his apple piece that I hung for him and his treat and he went near to the other lovebirds and started screaming to them (probably its his happy sounds) it just sounds like screaming because he is loud That seemed to work today in the afternoon, so tomorrow I will do the same thing and monitor him. If it seems to make him calm, then I will assume that it was because the lovebirds all seemed a bit far away when previously the cages were more closer to him. I think he was moved a little to make space for a recently acquired peach faced lovebird Luna. But I may go ahead and take that swing away if the pacing persists.

Ellen thanks for your reply too, socrates is 10 years old to my knowledge. I'm not sure at what age they stop being hormonal or whether he is considered to be too old for mating or breeding?
    Being a ringneck it might be different to other smaller birds. He has moulted I think but only very very little. I don't find many of his feathers around the cage floors or carpet, like I do my lovebirds, their feathers are all over the place from their moulting. I don't think he is sick thank goodness, his droppings are normal, he was eating and drinking a lot before, and this afternoon seemed to be eating and drinking as usual again. Since we first got him, he always took naps during the day once or twice, previously he was a lone aviary bird and probably didn't have much to do or anything to play with so I think he was accustomed to just sitting around. No watery eyes, no lethargy, no puffing up thank goodness, so I definitely feel its behaviour related. With his biting he has always been like that, even the previous owners were scared to put food for him because he was trying to bite, however this is because he is not tame or used to humans, and its mostly bluffing, he makes a growling sound and attempts to bite and keeps doing it until your hand or whatever is annoying him moved away, Sometimes he even growls at his food too if he doesn't like it lol. Beforehand he was growling at celery

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Parrots will continue being hormonal through tbeir entire life. They may not have as high of a sperm or egg embryo count, but will have the urges nevertheless, from time to time, especially during fall and spring which is the usual time for mating in all parrot species.

Having been alone for along time, he is now able to hear and watch the lovies, and with seeing his image in that swing , and Spring on the way, mating is on his mind.

There are some parrot species that do screech and get very, very loud. It is just their species and nature.

I am happy to read he has been eating and drinking and has no symptoms of illness.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen. It appears hormones are a big part of their life no matter what, and just becomes more evident during mating season. The lady we get our French millet from, mentioned its most likely hormones too, she breeds Indian ringnecks and some other birds too, and cares for injured wildlife and releases them after rehabilitating too, and mentioned her breeding birds are already getting ready for breeding season, even though its still winter. She said we don't have to get him a mate or anything like that (thank goodness, I really do not want to be doing that) and that he will just be like this for a few months until mating season is over.

After a few days Socrates is still pacing everyday, from the moment his blanket is taken off him, but he is eating. At first it seemed like he wasn't eating, but now I see his fresh corn half eaten, some seeds, his treat, and he likes grapes and strawberries so they get eaten as well, so he does take a break from his pacing to eat. One thing that concerns me though is he doesn't seem to drink much water. He has two bowls with water, one is a bigger bowl, and one is smaller, he never ever touches the bigger bowl and mostly uses it to get around, he likes to use the smaller bowls, but he does use one of his bigger bowls that has vegetables in it and will eat from that one. We have to spray him sometimes with water so that he can get some and the other day he seemed to enjoy a bath from being sprayed with water (I got this on video too so I will upload it shortly too!). I also tried to curb his pacing a bit, by putting Kovu's cage in front of his, and I think he has a little crush on Kovu, he began making his noises that he used to make when he was being groomed by his swing, only this time it as louder. Well Kovu is a small lovebird so there won't be anything happening there but it was cute to watch, and nice to see him take an extended break from his pacing. Kovu was looking at him too and making chirping noises but didn't spread her wings or anything and just went back to eating or drinking water or chewing something, but Socrates would follow her, they were in their cages off course, but if she would hop off to another part of her cage, he would go to a part of his cage that was near to where she was to look at her and make his lovey dovey sounds. I don't put kovu's cage in front of him all day, I let him be during the day and just in the afternoon when everyone's food and water has been completely changed I'll move their cages closer to each other for a little while so he can calm down, before bedtime.

I have managed to upload to youtube a few videos of Socrates.

https://youtu.be/bJElS_4JDik

https://youtu.be/9xc_VJi-qN4

https://youtu.be/6hHYsSvHMOc

The last one is him kind of growling or "trying to bite" because I was putting my finger near, and the 2nd shows the neck twisting thing I mentioned when I first introduced socrates to the forum, and the first is mostly the pacing. It may appear his cage is empty in one of them, but I think we were changing his bowls at the time, and everytime we try to put new toys for him, he growls at them, so I think he is a simple bird and is content just having a simple life, but now because its almost spring he's hormonal. Maybe after mating season is over will try to put toys again.

If anyone has suggestions on how to calm him a bit more I am open to anything, except getting him a mate lol. We were told not to worry as its normal, so as long as he's eating we won't worry too much.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Laila. Well, quite honestly I think he is absolutely enjoying that beautiful cage and setup, and I think the way you have those perches and toys placed is causing him to have fun pacing. Right now after seeing those cute videos, I am not sure it is hormones as yet. He seems very happy, and not angry, or aggressive. All birds bite now and then. He is such a beautiful bird and his feathers and eyes, etc., look very healthy.

As to drinking water, fresh veggies like leaf lettuce and kale have water content, in fact all fresh veggies and fruits have some. So maybe he is getting quite a bit of water that way. The spritzing is great.

I think he is doing fine, and being closer to a lovie will indeed make him feel better.

Thanks for the update. Sending scritches to all of your flock.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks so much Ellen!

He doesn't seem to like leafy vegetables, however he does seem to like cut up spinach so whenever we have some we will provide that to him. He prefers corn, and his fruits.

He still seems to have a crush on little kovu, which is cute, he makes all these cute lovey dovey sounds that he's never made anymore when he sees her and spreads his wings to attract her attention and will just keep following her everywhere, from inside his cage. It's a nice way to calm him down after hopping around all day.

I'm just not so sure about the hopping around, I think its at least partly the hormones, but at the same time, as you mentioned he doesn't seem anxious whilst doing it and seems fine, so it could just be his way of presenting himself to a potential mate or something. And he is eating which I'm glad to see I always see his corns eaten during the day now. I was concerned at first because it appeared he wouldn't eat much but now he is and watching kovu in the afternoons calms him down and makes him happy

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaay!! I'm encouraged, and happy for you. I think Kovu is the angel of his life now.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

If it helps my IRN also hops a lot, and sticks her wings out, I think it is partially just what they do to keep themselves entertained/show off. It sounds like he's doing well and the variety of foods will be helping to keep him interested and happy too. My IRN likes broccoli and green beans more than leafy stuff, but I think it is because she likes to hold food with her foot. I'm sure you've given those a go, but if not could be worth a try She likes apples and fruits too.

It's sweet that he likes Kovu so much. Mine's the same about one of the tiels.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

And I just watched the videos - he's so beautiful!

Remove Ads