Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Unable to decipher my Lovebirds' behaviour

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ramy
    Thanks

Unhappy Unable to decipher my Lovebirds' behaviour

Hey community,

I've got a 3 month old yellow lovebird. I've spent hours on hours reading threads on different topics, advice, issues etc..but I'm lost because everything is inconsistent with this bird. Her name is Popcorn lol.

If anyone can explain shed some light on the following:

1) Inside the cage Popcorn can go from calm, cool and collected to berserk - pacing back and forth, screaming, attacking items inside. The change in demeanor comes out of nowhere. I work from home, meaning theres no excuse as she's around me more than enough, in and outside the cage.

2) 'Step-up' command works for the first couple minutes outside the cage. Generally, I run an initial 'step-up', get it out of the cage and repeat the 'step-up' command 3 more times.

Then...whether on its own or with my help, it gets to my shoulder and everything changes. It will accept food from my hand up there, but any 'step-up' command, or any effort to get it off is met by serious aggression.

It's odd because all it does on my shoulder is sleep, eat food I give it, and bites on my chain.

3) The way it acts aggressive and territorial on my shoulder - does the same thing when it is on top of its cage (not inside but literally just on top). It becomes impossible to deal with without some force.

-----

I'm all about pattern recognition and I'm not really seeing patterns to it's behaviors. I will do a set of actions and it seems super happy the whole time, I repeat those exact same actions a couple hours later and its reaction is the opposite.

Obviously with the shoulder/top of the cage (heights) - something territorial happens here. However, why does the step-up, light petting etc.. work in the start and then all changes the moment it steps foot on my shoulder? How can I get Popcorn to really listen?

Hope you guys can help.
    Last edited by nazimram; 08-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Unable to decipher my Lovebirds' behaviour

Boomer was the same way with the exception that he didn't want us near the inside of his cage but when he was on top he would happily hop onto our finger and run up to our shoulder. I worked from home and he sat on my shoulder almost all day while I worked. He had a play gym on my desk top that had a small cup of seeds and water on it and I would give him treats there as well. He hated it when I tried to get him off and he would bite us like crazy. I think he just liked being with us and knew if we tried to pick him up off our shoulder it meant he might be going to his cage and he threw a little bird fit over it and would bite us like crazy. No doubt he was very cage aggressive with our hands going into his cage so we would open his door up and he would climb out and go the top and happily get onto our finger and run up to our shoulder. Lovebirds are odd little birds and really are as I call it "creatures of habit" and if you try to break the habit they are use to doing they will strike back and bite you, or it least that was how Boomer was. He was very much in love with all of my family and loved being with us but boy did he bite when he did not want to do something. We learned real quick not to do what he bit us for and we all lived happily together... well with lots of bites because he was a huge brat bird
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ramy
    Thanks

Re: Unable to decipher my Lovebirds' behaviour

Thank you so much Boomer Girl for taking the time and energy for such a thoughtful response.

As you'll see in my recent post, the worst has happened. But I loved and spoiled her every moment I got. 😞

Remove Ads