Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pull chain from ceiling fan ok to let budgies play with?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Johnny
    Thanks

Pull chain from ceiling fan ok to let budgies play with?

Hello all! I am a new member, and new to the awesome world of birds as well. I had a question regarding homemade toys. I enjoy making toys for my birds (4 budgies, and a cockatiel) and so far they have been enjoying them. I recently made some swings using some lamp chain that I found at hobby lobby. I thought they would enjoy climbing on it, and they definitely do, but they also love to sample each of the individual beads on the pull chain. The pull chain is nickel plated, and I am reasonably certain that they can't bite through the chain. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a good or bad experience with this type of material for toys?

The other toys I have made have been with balsa wood, or natural fiber and sisal rope from home depot. They seem to be enjoying themselves, but I don't want to harm them. I had a scare the other day when one of the birds almost strangled themselves on a parakeet toy from petsmart that was made of small sisal rope netting. I cut her free and saved her life, and promptly tossed that toy. So now I am re-examining my toy safety. any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Re: Pull chain from ceiling fan ok to let budgies play with?

Hi, and welcome. I also had a frightening experience several years ago, when a cockatiel got her head in between two pieces of yarn that I had used to hang a toy in her cage. I happened to glance at the cage that day, and she was twirling, and, thankfully, I saved her from hanging herself. From that day on, I only hung toys in the cage with chains with small links, like ones you sometimmes see on some store bought toys.

Budgies and other parrots do like to chew. My only concern for you is that the beads, if painted, are painted with pet safe, lead free paint, because they can get lead poisoning. If possible, look for plain wooden beads that are safe, and have no paint or varnish on them.

You do have great ideas for making toys. We hope to see you often, and do post some pics of your flock.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Johnny
    Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome, and glad to hear your bird made it through as well. I will post some pics for sure

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I know all the birds who come here climb on all my lamp chains and use there beaks to move on it and none of them got sick. If they are actually chewing on the chewing on the chains I would be a little bit worried about some kind of metal possibly leaching into there beaks. You can buy some of the plastic break away chain to hang things with. They sell it with tiny links and also some large links which both would be good for you birds to use. I had a metal poisoning scare with Boomer once and it was enough to make me get rid of all metals except stainless steel in his cage as a precaution.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Johnny
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I know all the birds who come here climb on all my lamp chains and use there beaks to move on it and none of them got sick. If they are actually chewing on the chewing on the chains I would be a little bit worried about some kind of metal possibly leaching into there beaks. You can buy some of the plastic break away chain to hang things with. They sell it with tiny links and also some large links which both would be good for you birds to use. I had a metal poisoning scare with Boomer once and it was enough to make me get rid of all metals except stainless steel in his cage as a precaution.
    Thank you for replying! That was what i was looking for. They are not really chewing the beads on the chains but more like examining them with their mouths. They don't bite them, but roll them all over their tongue to see if there is a hull they can peel. The chain is nickel, but I am gonna go get some muriatic acid today and check to see if they are actually zinc with a nickel "finish". Apparently zinc and Nickel don't really get along as far as plating goes and if they are coated zinc then the muriatic acid should bubble. I will post my findings a little later today

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Johnny
    Thanks

Well I called Hobby Lobby and they advised that these chains that they sell in the jewelery making section contain trace amounts of lead and should not be handled by children!!!! W T F??!!! LEAD!?

I thought it was illegal to market items containing lead in any amount to children? Needless to say I got rid of all the toys I made with the chains and will go to natural fiber ropes instead. Good to know that the chains are indeed not safe after all.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would be careful with the fiber ropes, because rope tends to fray, and birds do like to chew on rope. They could get those tiny pieces stuck in the esophagus or in the stomach or intestine. If it were me, I would check your local pet stores or on line for stainless steel chains.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I heard hemp rope is bird safe. It is soft too and don't fray too much. I made lots if toys with different sized hemp and wooden beads that I died with food coloring.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Forgot to say I am shocked that Hobby Lobby has lead on there chains. WTF is right!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Good luck, no matter what you decide. I am sure you will find something great to entertain your flock!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing information about ceiling fan.

Remove Ads