Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help please!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help please!

Hi im a new cockatiel owner. My chick is currently 3 months old and i think she has aspiration pneumonia. I live in Bangladesh and in my country there is no avian vet. I took her to a vet immediately who mostly treats dogs and cats. He diagnosed her and gave her antibiotics. Its been a day since she has had the aspiration. But today twice she had such difficulty in breathing I thought my baby would lose her life. Pretty much like the first time. Her head and neck was up amd she was having difficulty in breathing and kept on making this weird clicking coughing sound. What can i do?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 1,003 Posts

Re: Help please!

Hi, and welcome to the community. I am so sorry to read your post, and I can fully understand your worry. Is your baby eating or drinking anything at all? What meds did the vet prescribe? You need to keep her warm. I would suggest covering the cage three sides with front open in daytime. If it is warm outside, then use a sheet or a light weight cover. If you have air conditioning, then use a little heavier cover and be sure to keep her away from drafts in your home frim the air conditioner. Also, at night, keep her in your bedroom, and cover all sides of the cage, And have a night light in the room. Check on her often overnight and during the day. I would suggest cooking some plain oatmeal and try giving her some by a baby sooon or syringe. Also, give her boiled water, at room temoerature with the syringe, or a clean sterilzed eye dropper. You could also feed the oatmeal with the eye dropper. You also could try boiling white rice to feed. Both rice and oatmeal to be fed luke warm. And try feeding just small amounts every hour or so.

The meds will make her sleepy, and probably she will not make much of any noise. It will take time for the meds to work. Give the meds as directed.

If she will eat some seeds mixed into the rice or oatmeal that will be ok as well.

If possible, when she is breathing hard, try holding her and consoling her. I am sure she probably feels afraid when not being able to breath. Keeping her close to you will make her less fearful.

I will be praying for her healing. Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-28-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you sooo much for the help. Her condition has deteriorated since morning. She is drinking. And eating a small amount of millet. Every time she drinks her coughs start. And every time it seems like she is dying. He body shrinks and become tiny. She makes those wheezing sound. Her toes are crooked. Since im new the vet thought I might aspire her if i give her the medicine orally. Its a capsule that was to be mixed with 5 c c water and fed her. But then he told me to mix the medicine in her drinking water. But as she isnt drinking much water she isn't getting the proper medicine. Please tell me how to keep her alive and stop these episodes where she gets suffocated. Ps she is also sneezing and her condition is really bad since the last time i have posted

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sorry this is happening to you and your baby. If the vet isn't far away you can take her in so he can give her the medicine. I had to give Boomer lots of meds in his last year and instead of trying to give it to him all at once I would give him tiny sips into his beak and then rub his check to make him drink it. Slowly he got all the medicine. It does sound like your bird really is struggling and if you trust the vet she might be better staying with the vet so they can incubate her and keep her hydrated and fed. Its so hard to let them take your bird when they are so sick but if its a good vet they are the best option. Boomer was very sick and twice I had to leave him at the vets. It tore my heart out knowing he might die without us but he survived with vets help. If you don't want to do that and your baby is hand friendly just hold on to her on your chest or let her sit with you so she will be comforted by you.

Truly I am so sorry she is this sick. It hurts us owners so much to see them struggle. My heart and thoughts are with you and your loved bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 1,003 Posts

I feel you need to take her back to the vet, immediately. She really needs the professional care at that office.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads