Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feather molting

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Feather molting

I need help! Recently my budgie Izekio has been molting pretty fast, and I've noticed they started shedding much larger feathers...it started with general white nd green feathers, then it went to grey and yellow feathers, then green with a black spot, next green to blue larger feathers and then they she'd three tail feathers but they have grown back. Any advice on what's going on?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Feather molting

Sometimes they will fully molt and other times they go through a light molt. Our vet says when they are molting to offer them dishes to take bathes in or if they prefer it hang wet lettuce leafs for them to rub on to bathe. Or if you bird likes it to lightly mist it during the day. It is also helpful if get some organic red palm oil and feed them a tiny dab of it everyday especially when they are molting. It will nourish there skin and make it easier for the feathers to grow back in. Molting is a hard thing for birds to go through. Boomers last years he had a chronic illness and molts always made him worse so it become obvious to me that molting is really tough on our birds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 1,022 Posts

How old is your budgie? If he is less than a year old, and close to being 12 months old, my view is that this is his first hard molt, and is replacing his entire body of baby feathers wth adult feathers.

If he is older, more than likely it is the fall season molt that most budgies experience every year. My two budgies are just finishing up their fall molt. One is 6 years old, the other two years old. Quite honestly, this time, they also lost ALOT of feathers. Many more than usual. I have heard that often tmes they will lose many, anticipating the winter season. I know in the wild, nature provides birds with the proper layers of feathers according to their environment.

What seed or pellet diet do you feed? If you do not feed pellets, pick up a small bottle of birdy vitamins at the pet shop. About once every ten days, mix a few drops of the vitamins in the seed mix that you place in the seed cup. Do not put the bird vitamins in the water. Even though the bottle may say to do so, it is never a good idea because the water can go rancid and make your budgie sick. Molting is stressful for birds. The vitamins help to keep their immunity top notch, and will also give the new feathers a boost, and will make them look shiny too.

If the feather loss continues for more than 4 weeks, I would suggest you call an Avian vet in your area, and see what they would advise. Sometimes the diet they eat can also contribute to feather loss.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks guys, it's come to my attention that it is just molting, even though my budgies are 3 months old (Izekio) and my other (Mcnugget) is around 4 months old

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 1,022 Posts

That is possible. It really is more about down feathers at your budgies ages, and this can contnue periodically over the next few months. The baby feathers will begin to be replaced at a pre hard molt at about 6 months old. And as I shared, the hard molt at about a year old.

Further, I have found that several things can cause a molt. If the cage is moved to another place in the home, or, something like outside animals, causing them to be frightened, especially at night' change in the seeds they eat, adding pellets to diet, or other new foods, are a few. Budgies rarely get mites, and the mites are smaller than a grain of salt, so very hard to see. Mites would cause them to be picking at their feathers, and itching their skin, and alot of feathers falling from their body, all of the time.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads