Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help! I need help in knowing if my pet pigeon has a sprained or broken leg.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Leo
    Thanks

Post Help! I need help in knowing if my pet pigeon has a sprained or broken leg.

He isn't putting any weight on his leg and keeps it up. My mom says to just wait a few days for it to heal but I'm worried that it isn't sprained and might be broken. I see now unnatural bend in the leg, but he isn't moving it and just keeps it up. This happened yesterday and we're just keeping him in his little cage with food for now. Help appreciated thank you so much!

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Help! I need help in knowing if my pet pigeon has a sprained or broken leg.

Leo, no mater what it is, sprain or broke you can help the bird. follow this
    1- Get the strongest straw you can, (walk into any McDonalds, BK or fast food place and grab one).
    2- At home, cut a section that is long enough to cover the affected part of the leg.
    3- Now cut a slit all the way up the piece you cut so you can open it completely.
    4- Lay it flat, easier if someone helps hold it completely open while you do the next step.
    5- Take medical tape, tape used for this, like a sports team would use to wrap ankles and such. Take small pieces of the tape and place them on both ends of the straw piece. This is so when you put it on the bird the top and bottom of the straw piece will not cut into the birds leg.
    6- Now with help, hold the bird in hand and place the straw piece on its leg, then place small pieces of tape around it to hold it in place. Keep in mind you will have to cut this off later so don't over do it.
    7- If you feel there is to much play in the piece between the straw and leg, before you tape it in place you can add some cotton or even a 1-tip cut to also add in there can fill the void and add strength.
    8- This will give support and act like a mini cast for the bird and will allow it to heal up.
    9- Just watch it to make sure everything goes ok, and only remove it if you really see a problem. The bird will take time to get used to it so don't panic give it some time
    10- Remove it for good in a couple weeks, and if after a couple weeks it needs more, repeat the whole process again.

Birds are resilient, as long as the blood supply in the leg has not been effected, meaning the break or accident wasn't bad enough to cause a loss of blood flow through the leg to the foot, it will heal. It may heal with a bump or visual small change in direction but should heal so that the bird will be fine for the rest of its life.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Leo
    Thanks

Thank you so much. I will try to do this for my birdie, I'm just worried that I will hurt his leg even more when i try putting the straw on it, because he can get really jittery when he's being held. But I'll try, I appreciate it very much. I'll try to keep you updated. Thanks

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

The worry you have is valid. This is why I recommend you have someone assist you. You need someone to hold the bird in place, so your hands can be free to just concentrate on doing the work. Do what is called toweling, placing a towel over the birds head/eyes, which will help keep it calmer. Good thing here is do all the prep work before you start, have everything laid out and think it through before you start. I would even do a dry run with your assistant using a rolled up towel, football whatever. Walk through the whole thing as a dry run. The other good thing is pigeons are larger birds and the leg is big enough to deal with. Just take your time and try never to bend it. Using your fingers to immobilize the leg above the break should allow your fingers also to be free on that hand to hold, while you use the other hand to apply things. Do the dry run and you may see a third person could be beneficial. Just take you time and stay calm.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If you are really nervous doing what Rudi suggests you can take the bird to the vet and they will splint it up. But this could cost lots of money and if it is not broken clean through the splint Rudi suggests sounds good to me. Just make sure you wrap the straw good so it does not cut his leg or foot. I have heard of using straws on wild birds with sprained legs too.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads