Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is a conure a good pet for my son?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Is a conure a good pet for my son?

Hello everyone, Iím new here. I wanted to make an account on this forum to ask a question for my son. This will probably be a long post, so sorry about that.

My sixteen year old son lost his budgie Emily, with whom he had a very strong bond with, a few months ago. Since then, heís been looking to get another bird to fill the void Emilyís left in his life. He came to me a couple weeks ago to tell me that, after lots of research, he would like to take care of a Green Cheek Conure or Quaker Parrot. We certainly have the budget for a suitable cage, toys and vet bills, as well as a trusted avian vet in our area. However, he told me heís concerned that these types of birds would not be able to handle him being away from home for school for seven hours each day.

He has no extracurricular activities, so he spends most of his time in his room reading, drawing or playing games with his friends online. When he had Emily, he would play the radio for her while she was gone and would spend most of his time at home with her, letting her fly free in his room and playing with her. I donít see why this arrangement couldnít work out for this new bird, but I do not personally have any experience with these bird species so I wanted to do my own research. He told me they are higher maintenance than his previous bird, and while heís confident he can give at the very least two hours of quality time with his bird every day, he wants to be absolutely sure that itís enough to maintain a good relationship with the new bird.

So now I must ask: Is he suitable for a Conure/Quaker, or should I get him to consider a smaller bird like a Cockatiel or Lovebird?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Is a conure a good pet for my son?

I do not know anything about a Quaker because they will not allow them in California. I do know a Conure would be fine with your arrangement and it would be OK left alone like Emily was. My daughter has a Pineapple GCC (Tikki) and he is alone for many hours when they are working and he is a happy very well socialized bird. He stays in his cage lots because they have cats and dogs and he does not seem to mind at all. Tikki is a sweetheart and even talks and blows kisses to everyone when they come into the house. He has a big cage with lots of toys in it. My daughter also provides him a UVA/UVB light and also a small bird heater because she lives in the mountains and it gets cold here.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your reply! Birds are very important to my son and heís been eyeing conures for a long time now. I think he will be very happy knowing he can accommodate a new friend.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I thought no bird could ever be a great as our little lovebird was until my daughter moved out and got Tikki her conure. He is a great bird and so much quieter then Boomer ever was. I also love the fact that he talks and he also is very good at just sitting in his cage and playing with his toys. They are great birds!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Danny
    Thanks

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that conures AND quakers can be very very loud and they also live for 30+ YEARS. Your son is 16 years old and in 2 years or so he will probably be going to college (im guessing) and loud parrots will NOT work in a dorm if they are even allowed inside at all. My point is that YOU may end up taking care of an animal that you didnt sign up for that is loud, creates a mess and requires lots of daily interaction and may not even like you. A Cockatiel or lovebird can life for 15+ years and require all of the previous stated to care but they are more quiet. If your son will for sure be able to care fot he bird regardless of its lifespan or noise level then by all means let him choose what he likes if he is responsible, but most likely wil be leaving the nest himself in the next couple years and you will be left with the animal then please factor that in too. Last thing anyone would want to happen is a for a bonded, monogamous bird who has chosen its partner (your son) end up in an already overflowing avian rescue or as another abandoned bird in a craigslist posting... that would be a travesty. This country already has a massive abandoned parrot problem and most avian shelters are maxed out. Please maybe see if you can adopt one before buying one from a store if possible.
    Take care!
    Last edited by LordInfamous; 07-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

At my university you HAD to live in the dorm your freshman year. Even more fun, they didn't allow birds at all. So make sure YOU are ready to adopt it!

Despite what anyone thinks, most marriages happen around college. So make sure YOU are ready to adopt it!

Conures are noisy and can be clingy and moody. So make sure YOU are ready to adopt it!

Conures live 20+ years. What seems like a good idea now might not seem so good down the road when your son leaves you with a bird, his new wife doesn't want a pet bird that SCREAMS, the bird is jealous of the new baby. The real question is if you want a conure!

Quakers are the same but live longer and chew more. A friend was afraid to move out of his apartment because his Quaker had chewed on the beautiful wood and he couldn't afford to pay for it!

My silly Sun Conure Brand New Egg Farlie's Avatar
    Name
    Rick
    Thanks

EXCELLENT!!! Chloemon and LordInfamous. To add to these excellent advice would be to wait until you finish college and are in your early 20's before you get another bird.
    I once owned a Quaker and they are VERY loud and noisy and they chew to destruction. They do not have a pretty chirp. They scream!!!
    I now own a Sun Conure and they are VERY loud and noisy as well and love to chew things up too. They do not have a pretty chirp either. They scream too!!!
    Neither are like a parakeet's chirp and song.
    Again, wait a little longer till you're settled in somewhere and can share your home with a bird friend.
    Last edited by Farlie; 11-02-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I should say Tikki is a Pineapple Green cheek conure and he has a quiet voice and he actually talks real words more then he cheeps. I have heard Jenday and Sun Conures and they are really loud which is not like Tikki is. He loves people, loves taking showers with you and can say many phrases and words. He is a great bird.

Remove Ads