Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Budgie Not Laying Her Second Egg!!! What Should I Do...?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My Budgie Not Laying Her Second Egg!!! What Should I Do...?

I Have Two Budgies.. Male Nad Female Both Are 2 Years Old...They Are In breeding Condition...I Just Changed Their Cage 5 Days Ago...At First She Layed One Egg On Same Day when I chaged their cage...i have seen hen mating with male...so it will fertile...i have attached the nestbox in cage...but the first egg was only layed bottom of the cage...

Now My Question is...

I have placed the egg on their nestbox...She accept it...sometime she incubate on it...till now no second egg..im pretty sure she not egg bind because she eating well,active,not fluffed up...
    So is this okay for budgie to incubate only one egg ? And when She Will Comeback to again breeding mood after this agg hatch?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

Re: My Budgie Not Laying Her Second Egg!!! What Should I Do...?

Hi, and welcome. When you move a cage, that will upset the hen and her egg cycle. If possible, write down the date this egg was laid. Then, patiently wait to see if she will lay anymore. The main thought to remember is that the one egg is a clutch, meaning a batch. And any eggs laid from now on will be considered a new batch, because she did not lay another egg every other day as she should have.

I think she probably will lay in the box in the future, but we do not know when. So, for now, we hope she will set on that egg, but moving her cage and putting in the box, may cause her to abandon that egg. But, leave everything as it is now, and let her have that egg in her box for at least 28 days. It just might hatch. It is not uncomon for a hen to not get serious about setting on her eggs for a week or so. It takes about 18-21 days for the first egg to hatch. Then the chicks hatch every other day, just as the hen lays eggs every other day. It is a positive that she is in the box.

If posible, when she is out of the box take that egg out of box, very carefully, and take a pen and very carefully to not squeeze the egg, write a 1A on it. Now, if she lays more eggs, then do the same with those eggs, but only number them ...1.2.3.4, etc. No letter. That way, you will know the single egg will be the one you will be watching to se if it hatches in that first 21day period.

Now with the second batch, if she begins to lay again, tak the one egg, when she lays it, and is out of the box, mark it with the number, and take a pad of paper, and write down the date and time it was laid, and do the same with each new egg.

You see, there will be a period of time between the single egg may hatch, and the new ones she may lay, so keeping this record will be of great help to you.

It is always best to have the box. But, especially young and inexperienced hens do lay eggs off the perches, which sometimes break, and on the cage floor. The box will hopefully work for her.

Time and patience are on your side. Do not disturb the box and be checking it constantly. You can check the box a couple of times a day, max.

The hen will not allow the male into the box. He will stay out on the perches until the eggs begin to hatch. He will then hop into the box and regurgitate his seeds to the hen, and she will feed the babies.

Provide plenty of cuttle bone, a great quality seed mix, and some fresh green lettuce and small pieces of whole wheat bread, and some small pieces of fresh apple to them as well. You also can feed a hard boiled hen egg. Shred the egg and crush some of the boiled egg shells. Good protein and calcium will be great for them now that they are breeding.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-12-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah Thanks You For Your Great advice...she not lay her second egg....but she incubate her one egg very carefully...I have put her plenty of cuttlebone,water,seed and veggies and more... The male budgie eated and feed to female... Now My Question is...I'm sure that one egg laid by my budgie is fertile so Is there is probability To Hatch it? Becoz she spend more time to incubate... And Another Question is...When She Will come back to again breeding mood??? If that one egg not hatched ....

Thanks for your reply in advance

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, I think that egg may hatch. It sounds like she is incubating it. They do not set on the eggs all the time at first, but the last ten days or so of the 21 day incubation cycle, she will spend lots of time setting. It is great the male is feeding her. That tells me if the egg does hatch, he will be a great dad, because he is already preparing himself to help out.

Leave that egg at least 30 days, in the cage/nest, because we never can be 100% what day the egg was fertilized. You will be able to hear the baby peeping, shortly before the baby pips/breaks the shell. And you will see the male immdiately head for the box/nest when the baby hatches. It is the most precious sound to hear that baby.

As to another clutch of eggs, she will be kept busy with this one baby for awhile. The hen needs a break from laying after incubation of the egg or eggs. So in my view, if the egg hatches, it will be about six weeks before the baby climbs out of the box, is able to perch and fly. At that time, if there are no other eggs laid as yet, which sometimes does happen, even when they have babies to feed, I would take the nest box out for a few months, and then next spring put it back in the cage. If she does lay eggs on the cage floor again, before then, get the box back into the cage, and put the first egg in the box, and I am sure she will be OK with the box and lay more than one egg.

Keep feeding them as you are, and give plenty of cuttlebone. We will welcome your concerns and updates anytime. Good luck!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-14-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah Sure I will...Im Very Curios to See the Budgie egg hatch...Because if the egg correctly hatch on 18 days means Thag Day Will Be Nov 28...That's My Bornday...ThankYou So Much Maxollie...❤😘😘

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! I sure hope that egg does hatch on your born day!!!!!Happy Born Day!!!! To you!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank You...Recently I have Checked that egg...candling the light on egg...there was too small and more than 15 red blood vessel cam be seened...and have put the egg again in nest box...

Give some advice for my breeding budgie foods and tricks..because im new to this field...I have three pair of budgies...Both of them is adult...1.WhiteBlue Pair...2.WhiteYellow Pair...3.Green Pair...

The Now Incubating Pair Is White blue So no problem with them...Now the problem is...

The Whiteyellow Pair...im mean white is male and yellow is female...both are 1.3 years old..both of them are in breeding mood...male cere in dark blue and femlae cere in brown in colour...i just changed them a nest box today...when they will lay eggs???.. male has interest on the female...both of them are flirting,feeding each other...but i never seened them mate...did she will lay an egg soon? Or i have to wait?

Thank you in advance

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That egg sure sounds viable to me. Hopefully it will hatch.

If it were me, I would only have one pair at a time breeding. I would not use any nest boxes for the other two pairs until you see if this egg hatches, and this hen then lays more eggs.

Breeding is no easy task. Many things can go wrong in the process. Are these two pairs in their own cages? Personally, I would not breed a pair until they are at least 1 1/2 to 2 years old because maturity of the pair is very important.

A nest box, as I shared, does encourage nesting, so for now, if it were me, I would be removing nest boxes except for the hen with the one egg. Once she is finished, then you can try the next older pair. I would wait until Spring for the youngest pair. Feed these two other pairs as you feed the hen with the egg.

A hen can abandon her chicks if they hatch. Then you would be placed in a position to have to hand feed them. The dad may also stop feeding hen. Handfeeding is not an easy task either. Some pairs just are not mature enough to get the babies fed, keep them warm, and team up together to do so.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-16-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you...

All the three pair budgies were separated by cages...they were happy in their cage...they sing,chirp and flirt with their mates...
    All pair of budgies like coriander leaf and stem...they eat that lovely...

Now my quiz is about that incubating pair....!

When she started to inter into nestbox to incubate the egg still i never seen her to eat..the male only feed her...she just only came outside to poop and again enter into box...i care for my female budgie...

If male can feed enough food for female...She is ok? With him

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do you see any seeds scattered on the cage floor in the morning. She might be eating at night. I think since she is setting most all the time now, it will be soon that the egg hatches. We shall pray that will happen.

The male usually stays out of the box, but it is good he is feeding her regurgitated seeds. If she were not getting eniugh to eat, her poops would be very sparce, and have no urinates in them/aka white center. So I think she is fine. Just keep a close watch on her. You could put another perch close to the box, and an additional seed cup close by as well. Maybe she would eat out of that cup. And put another water cup close to box too.

Thanks for the info about the other budgies. It is great the pairs all have their own cages.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ohh thank you so much maxollie😘❤👈...For Your help...If The Egg hatches or any confusion means i will ask you or report to you... Thank You for your huge response

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Update Maxollie..!!! The Budgie which have incute with one egg has laid her second egg just 3 hrs ago...

So What to do now...
    She is incubating her eggs now...is the probability to hatch the second egg which was laid after 9 days??

Is she can lay more egg or not?...yesterday i have seen they are mating very calmfully...so im sure they are fertile...nowdays the hen poop is very large and darkypoops...
    Can i serve her eggfood in incubating period?

Thank you in advance..!!!👍👌

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, this egg very well can hatch. Now here is my suggestion. The new egg should be whiter in color because she has not been regularly setting on it. If possible, when she is out of box, carefully take the egg and with a pen mark on it....#2A. That means this is her second clutch, and this one has to be counted another 21-23 days to incubate the egg and hatch the egg. Every egg she lays now....every other day....mark it. 2B, 2C, etc, etc. You also can document each egg being laid, on a piece of paper with the date, and time. Then you will be able to judge better, when this second clutch will hatch.

Should she only lay one egg again, and after at least a week, with laying no more, you would do the same with any eggs laid, ecxcept then any eggs would be considered the third clutch, and you mark them with #3. I doubt this would happen though.

Yes, protein/egg would be good to feed her and the male, now that she is laying again. You could boil a chicken egg, shred the boiled egg into tiny pieces and feed them. You also can crush the cooked egg shell and mix in with the seed. This is additional calcium for them. You also can try feeding cooked sweet potato, mashed, a small amount, and also some cooked brown or white rice. Breeding is stressful and so is egg laying and incubating eggs. Breeding pairs do need extra protein.

Keep us posted, please.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy Maxollie has given you such great advice and I am hoping that both of the eggs will hatch out so you can have some babies. I am surprised she was mating with the male already because I always thought they did not mate right after laying a egg not too long ago. I now know they will mate.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank You So Much Maxollie and BoomerGirl...

I cant get my hand on her nestbox...she shout very lots...but the new egg is very white and old egg was little thick in yellow colour...

I can calculate the hatching dates for both egg because there is two egg...If More eggs she laid i would write on it...
    Now my quiz is...

Second egg was laid Nine days after the first egg...If the first egg hatch on 28 Nov Means...Is she can incubate the other eggs and same time with caring of baby at same time????

Is that egg probability to hatch???
    If that second egg hatch nine days after the first egg hatched means..his sibling were larger in size ??? So no problem for that second baby???

Remove Ads