Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Indian Ringneck questions

Name
    Bea
    Thanks

Indian Ringneck questions

I've just come across a 3 year old IDN and i'm so tempted to adopt her. I really love IRN's but have been scared of the bluffing phase, so when I saw one that was already a few years old I was very happy. I'm considering making a trip to go play with her and see if we get along

I just wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully some people with IRN's give me some advice and tips.
    Is it possible for the IRN to bond to me and my family even if she had been with a previous family for 3 years? Will it take a long time for her to bond to me or will she go through a 2nd bluffing phase because im new?

If I wanted to go on a trip, would it cause her to lose trust in me and hate me? Cause I was hoping to go on a small 3-5 day trip to my batch, because I have a 2 month holiday right now and I do plan on being with friends and such. Of course i'm willing to spend lots of time with the bird also

I would really love if my bird could like my family and a few friends, but is that unlikely or possible even though they are 3 years already?

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Indian Ringneck questions

Hi Bea,

I think age is nothing but a number, even when it comes to birds I have an Indian ringneck as well, he's 10 years old, and only got him a few months ago. He was aggressive, and still is, but this is because he was always an aviary bird not used to humans. I have heard that when tamed, Indian ringneck are so loving and gentle and friendly. However in the few months he has been here, my partner has been trying to handle him regularly, getting him from his cage and giving him scratches, and this has helped a little. He may still be aggressive and growl everytime I want to change his foods and water bowls and everytime my partner reaches into the cage to try to get him he still tries to get away from him, but now once he has him and starts scratching him he enjoys it so much and he can now be held without a glove and he can perch on his hand without him having to put his hand over him to ensure he doesnt fly away, and previously he had to be held tight to ensure he doesnt get away.

Time will definitely be on your side and it is possible she won't be fully tamed (if she isn't already) but she will adjust to her new surroundings with time. If she is already tamed and was happy with her old family, then it might take her time to adjust as well, but then you have a better chance also for her to like you and your family. I am certain she will like you and your family. I think she will learn to bond with you as well she will just need time, even if she is aggressive or anything you still need to have patience and be kind to her and she will come around. Put her favourite foods for her everyday so she can be comfortable in her new surroundings, even if it means giving extra sunflower seeds for a short while to make her happy.

If you are hoping to go away for a few days and you do happen to adopt her, when you are trying to get her to like you and bond with you, get her to like members of your family at the same time as well, so that she will feel comfortable if your not there, if she is bonded to someone else in your family as well.

I have heard a lot about the bluffing phases of ringnecks, however mine is already not tame so he's always bluffing lol but I can definitely say there is a big difference to his behaviour from the first time he arrived until now, so there is definitely hope as long as you have the patience. I hope this helps

Thanks

Asian parakeets (Psittacula) have bad reputation in pet birds business, but they're "new" I couldn't tame any of my IRN, everyone told me it will be the same with my mustached parakeet 'red vented parakeet" (psittacula alexandri), they've been right for my female but my male is a bit more friendly, but, yes, these birds needs daily care of us, for hours to not came back to wild.

Name
    Bea
    Thanks

I have heard that IRN's have a bad name, but they are all different so hopefully everything will be ok

Name
    Bea
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    Hi Bea,

I think age is nothing but a number, even when it comes to birds I have an Indian ringneck as well, he's 10 years old, and only got him a few months ago. He was aggressive, and still is, but this is because he was always an aviary bird not used to humans. I have heard that when tamed, Indian ringneck are so loving and gentle and friendly. However in the few months he has been here, my partner has been trying to handle him regularly, getting him from his cage and giving him scratches, and this has helped a little. He may still be aggressive and growl everytime I want to change his foods and water bowls and everytime my partner reaches into the cage to try to get him he still tries to get away from him, but now once he has him and starts scratching him he enjoys it so much and he can now be held without a glove and he can perch on his hand without him having to put his hand over him to ensure he doesnt fly away, and previously he had to be held tight to ensure he doesnt get away.

Time will definitely be on your side and it is possible she won't be fully tamed (if she isn't already) but she will adjust to her new surroundings with time. If she is already tamed and was happy with her old family, then it might take her time to adjust as well, but then you have a better chance also for her to like you and your family. I am certain she will like you and your family. I think she will learn to bond with you as well she will just need time, even if she is aggressive or anything you still need to have patience and be kind to her and she will come around. Put her favourite foods for her everyday so she can be comfortable in her new surroundings, even if it means giving extra sunflower seeds for a short while to make her happy.

If you are hoping to go away for a few days and you do happen to adopt her, when you are trying to get her to like you and bond with you, get her to like members of your family at the same time as well, so that she will feel comfortable if your not there, if she is bonded to someone else in your family as well.

I have heard a lot about the bluffing phases of ringnecks, however mine is already not tame so he's always bluffing lol but I can definitely say there is a big difference to his behaviour from the first time he arrived until now, so there is definitely hope as long as you have the patience. I hope this helps
    Thank you for such a detailed reply, I feel a little more comfortable and excited to go see her now
    I've emailed the owner and organised to go see her in a roughly a week

Remove Ads