Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baby cockatiel missing part of beak

Mom of 3 fids Chick DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

New baby cockatiel missing part of beak

Hi all, It's been a long, long time since I posted here. I remember all the good times we had - especially when we did the virtual bird-thday parties for our feathered kids.

Anyway, all my birds are doing fine. They're at the 6 year old stage and in perfect health.
    With one exception:
    Yesterday, I went to buy seed at the local bird shop where I got all my parrots, and Jeff offered me a baby cockatiel that has part of his beak missing. He's a cute little cinnamon pied. Looks like mom or dad might have pinched the tip of his beak a little too hard when first feeding the baby and he's left with no tip. His mouth looks like our lips.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance that the tip might regenerate to some extent. It looks like there's new growth on the upper mandible. There's an area of translucency at the edge of the deformity.

What do you folks think? I'd love to get your feedback.
    BTW: I can't remember how to add photos. Any help would be appreciated.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New baby cockatiel missing part of beak

Hi Pat!! I remember all the fun we had here and think of you and your flock now and then. I would think this birds beak would regrow but it might not grow perfectly. It may have to have its beak reshaped often. I have had a girlfriend whose lovebirds beak got cracked and her vet sealed the crack up and it slowly grew out. She had a few trims and its perfect now. But this was cracked but not broken like this poor tiels beak.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Hi, Pat. It has to be ESP. Just a few days ago I thought of you!! One of my budgies, Muffin, had his 6th Bird-th-day, on October 29, and I also thought of the fun parties and conversations we had here on the forum, that day. It is not "buzzing" here like it once was. We sure did have a great time, for sure.

Sometimes, tiels do have beak issues such as this one. I have had a couple, who were babies when I got them, and their beak top and bottom did not close normally, but it did not interfere with their eating, nor their life at all. I could not access your picture, so could not see the beak. I am not sure if this would be genetic, or as you said something with the mom, but I think he or she will be a great addition to your flock. Cinnamons are sooooo beautiful. And knowing you and your birds, he or she will be loved, cared for, and pampered, like all your flock. It could regenerate since the bird is so young. Time will tell.

We hop to hear updates when you have some time. I know you are one busy gal!! So happy to see you here again!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You will need to go on line and get a tiny pic account on that website, and upload them, and post them here. Photobucket will not allow what they call third party pics, to be posted here anymore, without paying a big fee!! Ugh You could also post pics in your gallery.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, Nice to hear from you again!
    I realized after looking at my permissions at the bottom of the reply page that I don't yet have permission to post pictures. I think I have to do the 15 posts again.

Anyway, when I can post I'll show you the baby's face. He's also missing the first joints on 2 toes of his right foot. Based on some photos of hatchlings and a description of how babies are fed, I have a feeling that mom or dad pinched the baby's beak a little too hard at first and accidentally amputated the tip. I just feel that the egg tooth might have jabbed the parent bird and that resulted in an accidental reflex bite.

Jeff also has the other chick from that clutch. That baby has the same issue with his beak. Jeff's going to hold on to that baby and we're going to compare notes on the chicks' progress.

The baby, yet unnamed, is otherwise very healthy and sweet. Chauncey, my yellow Indian Ringneck, loves to gently preen the baby. And Misty, the whitefaced cockatiel, has to hang around while the baby's being fed. They're so great with the new baby! I'm so lucky that all my flock are so kind.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My little baby, still unnamed, is doing well. He started making his first deliberate sounds several days ago. His cuteness is endless. Today he started munching on seeds. I'm hoping he'll be able to eat them. Looks like the entire upper beak is torn off, just leaving the hard palate area intact. So sad. I read that beak avulsion causes pain for several months, but how can a tiny baby know the difference? I'm treating him with great tenderness around his beakless beak.

Well, I can't post a photo yet, but I did manage to add one to my album in the Gallery. I started an album called Pat's Flock.
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...m.php?&u=13606
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 11-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I agree with the message from Maxollie and her answer. You could also ask local rescue groups and also shelters, thet hve likely had these problems.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I KNOW you will see this little baby through this, and the baby will feel your love and care, and respond with his love right back to you. The poor little guy. On occasion, parents lack maturity in taking care of the chicks. Maybe that is what happened. It has to hurt your heart to see him suffer. It is very encouraging that he is munching on the seeds.

I will watch for your pics. They are not showing on my tablet as yet.

Awww! I remember Chauncy and Misty! And all your flock.

We will watch for updates! Maybe a little handfeeding formula would help him too!!

Thanks for the update, Pat. Hope to see you here soon!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My little baby has a name. I call him Shorty (for obvious reasons). Also, the name seems right for this little guy, missing beak or not.
    He's very smart. When he eats he makes a sound like 'maumaumaumaumau'. So every time I pick him up to feed him I say 'want your maumaumau'? Today when I was chatting with him he just sat and listened to me. Then I said, 'You want your maumaumaumau? And he ran closer to me and started that 'I'm hungry' hissing. He recognizes words already! Such a smarty-panties baby!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! He IS very smart! I admire you soooo much for taking him!! How is Jeff's baby doing?

Shorty is the perfect name! There is something extra special about special needs birds. They are full of courage, so loving, and brave!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love the name and so happy you took him home with you Pat. Do you think his beak is going to grow back in time? No doubt if it does it will need lots of trimming but I do hope somehow he will get his beak back. Is it broken all the way off or does he still have part of it and just the tips broke off? Like Ellen said no doubt you are a perfect parront for Shorty because you know how to hand feed and syringe feed baby birds. I will be watching for updates.

Tinypic is the site I use to download my pictures too and then use the forum code to load them here. I don't pay for it at all and my pictures have been on my account for years and they all are still there. Plus it works here on this site for free so it is worth using it. I could not see your album or your pictures for some reason.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I brought Shorty to Jeff's store today and got some bad news. First, Shorty's brother who had the same beak problem died last night. Jeff doesn't know why, except that we suspect it was from congenital problems. We suspect it because when Jeff looked at Shorty he said, 'you clipped his wings'. I said I didn't. So, Jeff checked Shorty's wings and found that his wings are also deformed. He won't grow flight feathers ever. I guess his little fingers didn't develop completely. So it looks like Mama and Daddy cockatiel didn't hurt the babies. They just had congenital malformations.

Shorty's doing great, though. He recognizes a lot of words. I tell him Gimme kissy and he makes a kissing sound. I call his name and he chirps to me each time. I tell him 'maumaumaumau' and he makes the hungry hissing. He also recognizes Chauncey and Misty's names. And he's finger-tamed already. He's beautifully feathered. He's got very lovely markings for a cinnamon pied. I wish I could post photos of him. He's the sweetest, smartest little guy you could ever meet. And even though his upper beak is short, it looks really cute and closes nicely with his lower beak. Jeff said it's nicely formed for being short like it is.

I want you guys to see Shorty. Dang, I have some cute photos I want to post. Well, someday....

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I found Tailfeathers Gold option. Now I can post attachments! YAY!

Nov 14 2017 1 month Baby1.jpg
    Shorty On November 14, 2017
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 11-28-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Here's a video of Shorty inspecting a Rice Krispies box. With his own strawberry and his size next to the graphics, he looks like he's part of the cereal box picture. This should give you all a good view of Shorty at 5 weeks old.

Note: He just got his face washed by me. That's why his feathers look wet.

https://youtu.be/l9YFhd2tmTE

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! The video and picture brought tears to me. His name is perfect, and he looks very healthy and sooo happy. I really do not see much deformity in that beak. I am so sorry for Jeff that he lost his, but after looking closer at both, it does appear congenital. I wonder if the breeder was aware of this? I once met a breeder who overbred his birds, even giving older pairs spirulina to keep them virle, and the eggs hatching. He kept one of the older pairs in a bedroom in their cage, day after day, making sure the hen kept laying eggs, with no time between clutches. I would think this type of breeding could cause congenital problems. Ugh

Thanks so much for posting the message and pics. Finally you found a way!!!!! Yaaay!! We will watch for new updates! Keep up the awesome work!!!" Shorty is precioius!!!! Awwww!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.