where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we revisit this?

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Can we revisit this?

I know we had talked about sexing Zenith and Zephyr previously. These two are simply in love. Iím posting links to pics, would you mind taking a look? I was unable to get decent pics of Zephyr but will try again in a bit. Thanks in advance!

http://a66.tinypic.com/2gsk50k.jpg

http://a64.tinypic.com/8x4hw5.jpg

http://a66.tinypic.com/2gsk50k.jpg

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Re: Can we revisit this?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Awwww! Is it any wonder we love them?? Your two are just precious. I do think they are in love. Thanks for sharing the pics with us!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Zephyr is so beautiful!! I sure can see that both of your birds do look like different sexes because the ceres on both of them are different colors. I forget which are girls and boys but they definitely look like you have a couple of happy lover birds to me.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Oh boy. Lol Zephyr is dominant pied so Iím wondering if that would affect the cere coloring. I really was wanting two males as I didnít want babies. I donít know whether to be happy or sad now lol

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Soooo the next question is now what? Lol

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Iím so afraid Iíll do something wrong if they breed. I love babies itís not that. I guess Iím having a bit of a panic lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Don't feel alone because I would be panicked as well knowing I had a girl and boy. I never wanted a girl because I would worry too much about them getting egg bound. Heck I even worried that my daughters Conure Tikki would be a girl because I love Tikki almost as much as I loved Boomer! Thankfully in three years Tikki never laid a egg so we are almost sure he is really a boy now.

Ellen, Maxollie, will be the one who confirms the sex of these two for you because she knows her budgies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do not worry as yet. They are too young as yet. Budgies can mimic opposite sex behavior, as well. I was really not meaning they were in love as boy/girl. I meant they love each other as friends.

Your only way to know now would be to have them DNA sexed. They will get into hormones and mating at about 9-12 months of age, if they are a pair. You have some options if you do not want babies. You can boil the eggs the female lays, and then give them back to the female, for 21-28 days, by placing them on the cage floor on a piece of folded paper towel, and not getting a nest box, or you can buy dumny eggs and replace the real eggs with them. Or, you can keep them in separate cages. If you were to ever see an egg, never throw it away. The hen has to keep her eggs for the 21-28 days, or she will just keep laying more. Nature has programmed her to know exactly how many eggs she lays in a clutch. If any go missing, she will then lay more to reolace those that were lost.

I keep my pair in separate cages, and each have three mirror girlfriends in their cage, They love the girlfriends, and are content for their cages to sit side to side.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Sigh.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

I read if you donít give them a nesting box they wonít breed. Not true huh? Ok. Well thereís nothing I can do about it At this moment. Lol

I guess we will watch their ceres over the next year and see what they end up looking like. I notice the color is different today. Instead of white around Zephyr nostrils it looks light blue and the area other looks darker. Zenith has rings today around the nostrils and not yesterday lol

I suppose Iíll just put this on a shelf for now and just wait it out. If it becomes obvious then Iíll have my panic attack then. Lol

Thanks for all your help people!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I agree with you that nest boxes do encourage nesting for the hen. Also, I would suggest you do not use those happy huts, that you see in the pet shops, that are made of flannel or cloth. They also are called Cozy huts. They also encourage nesting and the hen laying eggs. We had several members who had either lovies or budgies, who, this past spring and summer, have hens lay fertile eggs in these huts, and it was a nightmare for the owners. The babies would fall out of them, the tents were too small, the inside was full of droppings from all the babies, and some of the babies died, before being moved to a nest box.

If you were to ever decide to breed, IF you have a pair, use the standard parakeet/budgie wooden nest box that you can find in a pet shop.

The newer light colored blue and yellow mutations are harder to sex, without the test, because often times the ceres stay light in color. My male yellow Lutino has a light color cere, that is not even blue in color. He is 6 years old. I looked at your pics again, and I tend to think you have two males.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Bless you. Lol.

They have a love coconut. Lol should I take that away just in case? They donít go in it, but use the ladder and go on top to give each other kisses. Lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, I think that coconut will have to go. Even though they are too young yet, that can help contribute to a hen getting hormonal even earlier, and you do not want that to happen. If we find later on you do have two males, you can put it back in the cage. Just store it for now.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Ok. Iíll remove it today. No more love coconut 😂😂

I appreciate all your help. Donít get me wrong, I adore babies and watch our chickadees raise chicks every year. I just wasnít prepared to possibly have budgie babies and prefer not to if at all possible. Such an enormous responsibility and Iím afraid Iíd mess up. Then what happens? Homes for babies, and Lordy. Iíd get attached and well, if it ends up a really possibility later then Iíll figure it out. But I need to just settle interest budgie owning and loving first. Lol

Remove Ads