Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP ASAP! Husband bought wood to burn in fireplace tonight. Is it safe?!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bre
    Thanks

HELP ASAP! Husband bought wood to burn in fireplace tonight. Is it safe?!

My husband bought some fire wood to burn tonight don't know if its safe. Can't find much info online. Its called HOT WOOD seasoned firewood. Says it contains one or more species of pine,aspen,pinon,fir,ceadar,spruce or juniper. Is this safe for my bird?! Please help ASAP since we are waiting for the green light before we burn it. Btw I have a cockateil

Hatched! Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: HELP ASAP! Husband bought wood to burn in fireplace tonight. Is it safe?!

Very dangerous for birds. They would not be safe around smoke. And, while we're talking about pine, etc., when I was working at PetSmart a man bought a baby parakeet as a Christmas gift for a little girl. He spent a couple of months training the bird before he gave the little girl the bird. Then, they put the bird under the Christmas tree. The next day the bird was dead. The man came into the store to try to figure out what happened. We told him it was the Christmas tree odor that killed the bird.
    Birds cannot even be around pine-scented cleaning solutions like Pine-Sol. It will kill birds.
    All six of the flock are 6 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 7th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Yes, I totally agree with Pat!! Thank you for your post!
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Our only source of heat was a wood burning stove for years and it never effected Boomer at all. We did put him in the back room the first few times we lit it because it always had a dirty dusty smell to it the first few times but after that it was just fine. I think as long as smoke don't get into the room it would be fine. Ours did let out a few puffs of smoke when we would light it but that didn't phase him at all. Of course it would not be that safe to let your bird fly around because he may land on the fireplace screen or worse if there were cracks fly into the fire.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You were VERY lucky he did not have problems with the wood smoke!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ours was pretty air tight and it vented straight up the big pipe there. The only time it smoked true wood burning smoke was when we turned on the bathroom fan or stove fan and we did not have a window cracked in the house somewhere. Our house is pretty insulated and air tight so the fans would draw fresh air from the stove pipe if we forgot to open a window a little bit. I honestly never knew wood smoke was that bad for them but it really did not smoke hardly ever.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would say the stoves would be safer because they have the ventilator and fan. I was talking more about fire places that are not vented, and you put the wood on the outside, on the bottom and burn it. I had a friend years ago that had one. We would sit in the den and watch the flames burn, and the smell and smoke were really strong. You could even smell it in the kitchen, which was quite a distance away, and when I would get home, I had to take my clothes and immediately throw them into the washer and wash them, because the smell was soooo bad.

I have read that pine is not good for any birds, such as a Xmas tree!

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

When you mention Pine, do you mean burning Pine or even green Pine?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Steohane, I mean fresh green pine and any pine, like an evergreen tree. The person who started this thread had two different threads with the same heading. Click on her profile, and look at the first post she made. On that thread I gave her a link from a website called Nature Chest. You should be able to click on that link, or you also can do a search on that website for an article about items that should not be used around birds.

Remove Ads