Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pin feathers

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Pin feathers

So my sweet Izekio (Budgie, 3-4 months old) has got his first two White pin feathers on his head!! I've heard you should mist bathe them but he doesn't like water and he won't let me touch him! He runs away when I put my hand in the cage and I can tell my poor bird is itchy because he scratches his head on the perch alot, my other bird Mcnugget won't preen Izekio for him and I can't preen him cause he gets scared..I don't know what to do!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Pin feathers

When they are new pin feathers they sort of hurt them so they hate being touched where they are. I would suggest you mix a little organic red palm oil into a small cup of seeds so he will get some of the oil in his belly while he eats the seeds. If he likes wet food you can mix the palm oil into the wet food as well. Our avian vet recommends it to all her birds she takes care of because it helps there skin and feathers.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It's now been a couple of days and his head is full of pin feathers! I've also noticed he's lost some constrast in his feathers but he is going through a molt. My poor birdie is so itchy I can tell, he really won't let me touch or hold him so there's nothing I can really do. I've seen him sub his head against the swing sometimes and he stays there most the day. I'm going to try and put the oil in the food but idk if it's going to work because I have a second budgie but the dude at PetSmart told us to keep them in the same cage. My other one doesn't have any pin feathers so will it be okay if he ends up also eating the oil?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Deanna confirms that her vet recommends the oil for all birds, so I think it would be OK if your other birds eats seed with the oil in it.

I do not support using oil on bird feathers, because some oils, like wheat germ or aloe penetrate into the skin and can help the dry skin, but can cause the bird to become hormonal, and even though your budgies are quite young, you do not want to encourage the hormones to develop so early. Generally a budgie gets into puberty and hormones at about 9-12 months. I am not speaking of the red palm oil, because I do not know if it would affect the hormones.

You can get a bag of molting and conditioning seeds for budgies at your pet shop, or at Walmart if there is one nearby. You mix that seed with the regular seed in the seed cup, or you can use a separate cup.

Also, you can take some Luke warm water, put in a spritz bottle and spritz the budgies once a day. It is a good substitute for a bath, especially in cold weather.

What seed mix do you use? Do you feed any fresh veggies or fruits? When they molt the feather pins on the top of the head, the black bars on the top of the head will be replaced by clear colored feathers. When they are molting they are not as active, take more naps, and do not make as much chatter. Molting is stressful for them. They require about 10 hours sleep at night as well.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-05-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads