Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockatiel chick not standing

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Cockatiel chick not standing

My female cockatiel abandoned her two chicks, so my husband and I are hand feeding them. One is 4 days old, and one is 2 days old. The 2 day old is standing for brief periods of time and lifting its head when its begging for food. The 4 day old thrashes a lot on its side, but can not stand without assisstance. Is this normal? Could something be wrong with it? We don't have a clue.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel chick not standing

Hi Courtney. I really cannot help you with your question but just wanted to tell you that you and your husband are very sweet taking care of these tiny babies. It is going to a very hard thing, especially if you have never did it before to keep this babies alive and thriving. If this were me I would keep on giving the older baby assistance to stand up in hopes that its tiny legs will be able to do it by itself in time. Please keep us updated on the progress.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Thank you. It has been a bit of a rough ride. I am afraid that we were too late for one of the chicks. He/she was killrd by the mother. The second one has the standing problem, and the third one we had to do an assisted hatching, as the eggshell was too thick for him to break out.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow, it is great you were able to step in and do this. I know a girl who once posted on this forum who started a Facebook page all about tiels and maybe if you have facebook you can look up her site and join it to see if they can help you out. The FB page is "Cockatiel Lovers UK" and her name is Charlie. If you send her a message I know she will let you join the group. She has had to step in and help out a couple different babies as well but I don't think any were as young as yours are. By what I have heard the babies this young are really hard to actually raise because the food has to be a perfect temp and the tank they are in has to moist and warm. Its a shame the Mom killed the first baby and isn't taking care of the rest of them.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Hello!! I’ll try to help. I breed cockatiels, and have assisted hatches and raised babies from days old who almost died when parents trampled/abandoned them. And also have a chick that has almost died on a few different occasions that Had crop issues.

What do the chicks weigh?
    What do you mean by thrashing on his side? Is he eating good?
    What’s the temp of the food? What brand of food are you using? What’s the temp in the container they’re in? What type of container are they in?
    How long have you been feeding them?
    How much do they eat? How often do they eat?
    How old are the parents? Are they related at all? Have they had any chicks before?

Could you post pictures of the chicks and also a video of the the chick in concern?

How did mother kill the baby?

If there are no clear issues wrong with the baby, (sores ect) then I might have an answer.
    So if mom abandoned him, he could be weak because, clearly he needs food. Trust me, newborn babies need food very often or they’ll become week very fast. So he could just be weak. And the reason he’s be weaker then the other is because he is two days older then the other, therefore he’s had more time to get weaker. Also it is completely normal for a chick to lie in his back/side for the first few days. Does his crop have any problem emptying?

I would give him sugar free, plain original applesauce and plain Pedialyte. Temp should be 105 degrees, but don’t heat it! Give him 1 cc of each added to his food every third feeding, til he gets full, for a day or so. It won’t hurt him and if anything it’ll do him good. Do the same for the other chick. Feed applesauce very so often, like once every week or so. At this age, depending on their size, they need to eat about every two/three hours, until their crop gets full.

What mutations are mom and dad? What color are the chicks eyes?

Thank you for trying to save the babies, and if they don’t make it, know that you did every thing you could. Rest assured they had love and warmth and comfort. It’s going to be hard waking up every two hours, day and night to feed them, but trust me it’s worht it!!
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    Jack O' Lantern., Buddy Clone. Jonny File.
    Winter Wing. Ollysaurus Becky Siberian. Kellie Kelster,and
    Riffraff.Fluster Bird.Pother Panther. 6 eggs..
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Thank you all for the support. The good news is that my husband and I work oppositr shifts; he works nights and I work days. We have been keeping tgr babies in a 5 gallon tank with a milde brooder lamp partially over it (as it would get too hot) and a heating pad under the tank. There is a thermometer in there and a sealed plastic container with homes in the lid and water to create a humidifier. Both babies are eating very well every 2 hours, and we moniter crop draining and everything is going well. The baby with the standing problem lays on his side and kicks his legs while they are out straight (not bending the legs or opening his feet). They eat kaytee exact baby formula at NO LESS than 104 degrees. An aquantance recently suggested that I gently help this chick bend his legs and open his feet to help strengthen then. They can bend with no discomfort and his feet open with no discomfort as well. Kind of like physical therapy.

Dad is a lutino, and the mother is a cinnamon-pied. I will have pictures of the little ones soon. We try not to remove them from their heat unless we are doing a brief examination. We even have set up their feeding station under the heat lamp.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Does he have splay legs? I know what to do in a case like this. If it is just poor leg strength, I would stand him up every time he’s being fed and do “physical therapy “. After a his feeding becomes more spread out and his legs are stronger, try to get him to stand up on his own.

Good luck and I really hope e does good. I can’t wait to see them!! My birds are on a break right now and I can say, without a doubt, that I miss these babies, so it’ll be next ce to see some lol.
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness you found this post Kat. I forgot about you being a breeder here.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures too and I am just amazed and in Awe that you and your husband are doing this for these two babies.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Yes, I am so grateful to see that there are people out there like you two. The outcome can be so unreal and awesome.

Another thing I though of- get a round bowl, big enough for the baby to fit and move around, but small. You want the sides to be tall. Put a few layers of paper towe in the bottom, then do a few layers is tore up paper towel. This helps the baby grip and not slip and the sides of the bowl help support the baby to stand.
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

I admire you and your husband completely. The tank set up is an excellent idea. Kat will help you anytime. He is a great breeder and has hand fed some of his babies. Once in a while, a female will turn on her young. It is soooo sad to see that happen, but you had great common sense to pull them, because she simply did not want them.

We will watch for updates. It sounds like they are doing well. Keep up the awesome care and love you are giving them. The babies can feel your love, and that will help greatly to keep them alive.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Thank you all for the support, as always. I regret to say after a night of barely eating suddenly (though we gently tried to force pedialyte without him breathing it in) and suddenly stopping all movement, our non-standing chick passed away right before the 2 pm feeding. Vet believe he was suffering from a neurological disorder and it shut his tiny body down. My husband was holding the baby as he passed, just so the chick was not alone at least. We still have one chick who is standing (trying to learn balance the poor thing), eating very well (we have to cut him off. He would over fill his crop if you let him), and he has managed to hop today (don't really know where he learned that from). We are not giving up on him, and he gets his feedings every 2 hours just as he and his siblingjhave had since hatch day. He is only 5 days old and has grown up so much. We have also been giving pedialyte to him to ensure his body keeps getting the nutrition that it needs, and a bit of all natural no sugar added baby applesauce to insure proper crop draining. Thank you to everyone who has posted and offered advice. It means to world to my husband and I to know that there are so many people who support what we are trying to do.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Awe. I’m soo soo soo Sorry!! I’m heat broken, and am sure you are too. You did everything possible and he had love at his last moments. The other guy has to be strong now to fill the hole the other left, that’s who he learned to hop from! Does he have a name? You could probably cut back on the Pedialyte, just do it every once in a while. Thanks for the update.
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks for the update. How heartbreaking for your husband to hold the little baby as it died I am sorry you lost him and I really do hope the other little one will be able to survive and grow up into one heck of a spoiled bird. I admire both of you and especially your husband for taking care of this little baby. It has to be cute to see a little bald "alien" baby hopping around like it is. I call all babies aliens because they just look so strange and cute when they are bald bird babies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Thank you. For now, we just call him Little, until we know if it is a boy or girl. While I have peoples attention, I do have another question. Between hand feedings, how empty should a 5 day old baby's crop be? I just want to make sure he is getting what he needs. Also, will pedialye cause harm if used for long periods of time? I am worried about him getting dehydrated (he is beginning to look a little too red for my liking). He is still standing and begging; I just want to know what I can do to make sure he makes it through.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Pedialyte can cause dehydration if he isn’t getting enough fluids along with it. What I did what I needed to give Pedialyte to my baby (medical reasons) was use extra water with the formula and gave him 1/4 cc after I used Pedialyte. I did however have to feed him for often because he wasn’t getting the same amount of nutrients, because the formula was diluted. And I also was needing to give him PURE, not mixed with formula, every two hours, so he definitely needed extra water. I would just cut back in the Pedialyte. Also yellow/pale is a sign of dehydration. How red is his skin?? The crop needs to (almost) empty between each feeding, but never completely fully empty, dry ect. Make sure you do not over feed, because you’ll get overstretched crop and trust me, that’s not fun. He’ll seem very hungry still, even when his crop is full.
    3.4.3.6Cockatiels.
    1.. Canary.
    Jimmy.

Majestic Animals.

Remove Ads