where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Advice on getting a second lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    mykhail
    Thanks

Red face Advice on getting a second lovebird

Hey guys I just got my first ever bird and he is a little lovebird. I'm feeling a bit bad for him when I'm not home overnights so I'm probably going to get a second one. (I work overnights but sleep at work, so I leave him alone from 9pm to 7am while he sleeps. I spend most days with him all day.)

I want to know whether I should get the second one immediately or whether it would be a better idea to wait a couple of weeks to get him more used to me and my house. Is it harder to bond with two birds at once than it will be with one?

Pic below is him :)
    He is 10 weeks old.
    Hoping to try find a blue masked lovebird for him.

Name
    Muhammad
    Thanks

Re: Advice on getting a second lovebird

Hello,

Hmm, like will he come on your hands eat from your hands etc? I had one lovebird, who was REALLY attatched to us. But she was getting lonely by herself, she would sleep on the cuboards all by herself, and we felt bad. So we got her another mate, and it took a while until she got used to him but now they love eachother. The only mistake I made, was that she was a girl and I got her a boy and they started laying eggs having babies etc. So that is a bit annoying.

So it really depends on how friendly he is at the moment.

Be careful though, if this bird you have is a boy and you get him a girl or vice versa and you're planning to get he/she a masked lovebird I heard if they have babies it can sometimes have problems.

He/She is sure a cutie though <3

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Your little baby is adorable!! I think with or without a buddy bird to keep your cutie company he will be a very happy bird. I also think you not being home in the evenings is a perfect setup for him because he can sleep all night while your gone and once you come home he can have you to be with. Thankfully lovebirds are not prone to night frights like some birds are so you do not have to worry about a night fright and your baby flying in his cage and hurting itself.

Boomer was a "only" bird and he loved his life and was a huge part of our family who was yes... very spoiled. He was out of his cage with us when we were home and did everything with us, ate "flock" meals with us, played games with us and was on one of our shoulders almost all day long. He also was left alone many times when we were gone all day long so we left a radio on for him which we hoped he liked. I know when I was outside and peeked in on him he would be cheep singing to the music. He also hated all birds that we bird sat so no way could we ever had gotten another bird. My daughter now has a Conure who is a only bird as well and Tikki is very happy and oddly loves to stay in his cage playing with his toys even with the door open. He will sit on your shoulder and do things with you now and then but prefers to be in his cage.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Muhammad
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Your little baby is adorable!! I think with or without a buddy bird to keep your cutie company he will be a very happy bird. I also think you not being home in the evenings is a perfect setup for him because he can sleep all night while your gone and once you come home he can have you to be with. Thankfully lovebirds are not prone to night frights like some birds are so you do not have to worry about a night fright and your baby flying in his cage and hurting itself.

Boomer was a "only" bird and he loved his life and was a huge part of our family who was yes... very spoiled. He was out of his cage with us when we were home and did everything with us, ate "flock" meals with us, played games with us and was on one of our shoulders almost all day long. He also was left alone many times when we were gone all day long so we left a radio on for him which we hoped he liked. I know when I was outside and peeked in on him he would be cheep singing to the music. He also hated all birds that we bird sat so no way could we ever had gotten another bird. My daughter now has a Conure who is a only bird as well and Tikki is very happy and oddly loves to stay in his cage playing with his toys even with the door open. He will sit on your shoulder and do things with you now and then but prefers to be in his cage.
    Just on a side note.
    I think Boomer and Mango are really simillar :P When we're eating we also have to get Mango's food and she'll sit and eat her own food while we're eating our food and won't finish until we're finished. And of course if we were eating chicken or rice she would try to sneak some in for herself XD

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think our family bonded with Boomer over the dinner table

It sounds like lovies are just piggy birds who cannot stand to see someone eating without them. You can use food to get Mango to come to you and eat with you and just maybe Mushi would have to get in on the family feast as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Muhammad
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I think our family bonded with Boomer over the dinner table

It sounds like lovies are just piggy birds who cannot stand to see someone eating without them. You can use food to get Mango to come to you and eat with you and just maybe Mushi would have to get in on the family feast as well.
    Ohh they're already our new family members. When we eat sunflower seeds they come in eat it in our hands with us <3

Remove Ads