Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Taming two budgies at once in same cage?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Taming two budgies at once in same cage?

Hi everyone,
    So this past week, i adopted a female budgie and set her up in a cage. Iím home quite a bit at random times during the day but i still thought that getting another budgie would be a good idea. I adopted a younger male budgie today and got a bigger cage for them to both be in.
    Now hereís my problem: I have both the male and female in the bigger cage but I was planning on taming them both, and I read online that they may just bond together and constantly be scared of me instead.
    Is being in the same cage that big of an issue? I guess i just saw a lot of people having their birds in the same cage and got carried away.

Hatched! Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: Taming two budgies at once in same cage?

When you have 2 birds in the same cage, you'll have a nearly impossible situation for taming. The birds will bond to each other and resent you for interfering in their relationship. Far better to have just 1 bird and let that bird get to know you. Since you already have the 2 birds, I would advise putting them in separate cages. Take 1 bird out at a time to work with it. Don't let them be in the same cage until you are sure they have gotten to know you and respond to you the way you want.

People who have their birds in the same cage either have untamed birds or the birds were tamed before being put together.

I have my cockatiel in with my Indian Ringneck. I handfed them both, so they're very tame. They're both out all day and go to their cage to eat, drink and sleep.

I have 2 sparrows in another cage, but they're not tame.

And in a third cage I have 2 parrotlets. I handfed the male parrotlet and after 6 years, he's still tame. The female is the only bird I have that I didn't hand feed. She's not tame. But, I leave the parrotlets to do their own thing.
    All six of the flock are 6 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 7th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

Hi and welcome to the community. Congrats on adopting your sweet budgies. I totally agree with Pat. She has vast experience in bird care, and knows what is best for our birds.

We would love to see pics when they are settled in. We will welcome your updates anytime!!
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the feed back. They have been in the same cage for about two days. Do you guys think separating them now will cause issues? They donít seem to be that active yet as they are still getting used to the environment.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    When you have 2 birds in the same cage, you'll have a nearly impossible situation for taming. The birds will bond to each other and resent you for interfering in their relationship. Far better to have just 1 bird and let that bird get to know you. Since you already have the 2 birds, I would advise putting them in separate cages. Take 1 bird out at a time to work with it. Don't let them be in the same cage until you are sure they have gotten to know you and respond to you the way you want.

People who have their birds in the same cage either have untamed birds or the birds were tamed before being put together.

I have my cockatiel in with my Indian Ringneck. I handfed them both, so they're very tame. They're both out all day and go to their cage to eat, drink and sleep.

I have 2 sparrows in another cage, but they're not tame.

And in a third cage I have 2 parrotlets. I handfed the male parrotlet and after 6 years, he's still tame. The female is the only bird I have that I didn't hand feed. She's not tame. But, I leave the parrotlets to do their own thing.

Thank you so much for the feed back. They have been in the same cage for about two days. Do you guys think separating them now will cause issues? They donít seem to be that active yet

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

It depends on your preference. I do think they may be upset to be separated. Try leaving them together and take one at a time out and into another room to train. Get a small travel cage to move one from the cage to another room, and then use that small cage to take the budgie back to the big cage. A travel cage is good for emergencies and vet visits.

You can get small travel cages on Amazon, or at a retail pet store.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads