where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Safe cookware for birds

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Safe cookware for birds

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on here for awhile! I just wanted to ask, would this product be safe to use for cooking? I saw it in the shops awhile ago but wasn't sure.

http://www.harrisscarfe.com.au/kitch...e-set/p/543648

It says non stick, but says its ptfe and pfoa free. What are they using to make it non stick if its not teflon? Is stone safe to use around birds? On the website I have provided, do you see any other cookware sets that might be more beneficial and safe? Or if there is anything on amazon that might ship to Australia I might consider that too.

Nonetheless I open all the windows and fans and close the door to the birdies room when I cook, and limit myself to cooking large pots of food 2 or three times a week instead to avoid anything even with safe cookware. I dont burn stuff either as most foods I make are cooked in water.

Thanks in advance!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Safe cookware for birds

I hate that it has nonstick in the description but it really does appear that they would be bird safe. I wonder if they are ceramic pans? Or exactly what kind of pan it is. I would call the company and ask them what it exactly is that makes it nonstick and tell them you have birds and if possible if they can send you a data sheet on them. I know ceramic, cast iron and bakeware like what pampered chef makes is bird safe. I use ceramic, cast iron, glassware and pampered chef oven pans only here because in my mind if its not good for birds then it is not good for us humans as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Deanna for helping me out. I will see if I can get the pampered chef brand locally or if Amazon can send internationally. I might ring the company of the bluestone one as well.

How about this product? Does it seem safe? It says no teflon, and uses titanium but I'm not sure its safe:

https://imgur.com/URotBjZ
    https://imgur.com/ZT0uXVC

I took the photo of the actual product, as on the website there was very little information. It also says non stick, similar to the blue stone one, but seems to imply that the stone is what makes it non stick. I may also look into pure ceramic and cast iron.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I like this last pan you posted and that's a great price for a good pan. I think all the pans you posted about look good but I am overly paranoid about fumes so I always just call the company and tell them I have a bird and double check to make sure they are truly ptfe and pfoa free. I do this when I buy heaters or anything that gets hot. I don't even have a bird anymore but I figure if it kills a bird it has to be doing harm to us humans as well. I like that you can close the doors to the bird room so nothing will get to them. I use to put Boomer and his cage into our bedroom when I was cooking just to make sure he was fine.

Pampered chef is bakeware and I think it is only available here. I have a pizza stone and cookie sheet that I bought from them and I love them. I use a ceramic pan I bought at a store here which works great and I recently bought a copper chef pan that they advertise on TV here but I bought mine from a store here. Its rather thin bottomed but it a square pan and it has so much more room then my round ones. Nothing beats my cast iron fry pan. I can bake in it and also cook on the stove with it but it is not so non stick and either you have to use lots of grease or like I do when I am cooking something that I know will stick I just use my ceramic pan.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

That is a great idea, to ring and mention having a bird and confirming that it is truly teflon free, as I've heard that companies can label their products with anything even if it is not true, well apparently this is the case for food here in Australia and being able to write anything on food labels, but not sure if its the case for cookware.

I agree, if it is bad for birds, then surely it is not so great for humans too, and when I was doing research a little bit on teflon I had read that it is in fact not good for humans either and has cancer causing substances in it. I think this is why a lot of cookware on the shelves these days always say free from ptfe and pfoa but whether its true is another question.

I think thats a good idea even for heaters too. At the pet shop here the lady who owns her shop and breeds her birds has a heater on in one of the rooms where she hand raises the babies or keeps the breeding pairs with their chicks, especially during winter or early spring when its still cooler weather, I remember asking her is it safe, and she said the style of heater is safe and its on very low heat too, it wasn't one of those fan heaters, but rather one of those heaters that almost look like they have long light bulb sticks in them, I'm not sure of the proper name for them.

So ceramic doesnt stick when cooking with it? Even with pans that say no oil needed I still put oil, just not a lot of it or I use water instead whenever I can. I have heard copper is safe as well, my kettle for boiling water is copper and it was from Kmart.

I'm glad you used to put boomer in the bedroom while cooking, its always nice to take the extra precautions. The birds bedroom is directly in front of the kitchen, which I'm not a fan of, but the house is fairly small, and I open the windows wide when cooking and turn the fans on so any fumes go outside the windows. Before I had birds I didnt like to open the windows too much as we dont have screens, and this makes me paranoid more so in summer because of bugs but now I do especially during cooking time. I might not look at the pampered chef range then as I dont really bake or use the oven, The oven here is really old so I'm worried about using it, it also means the stove is old, but I'm using safe cookware for now so I'm not as paranoid with the stove.

Remove Ads