Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Questions About Lovebirds

Name
    Sakai
    Thanks

Questions About Lovebirds

I did some research on lovebirds and I had decided that I wanted a lovebird or two, Which of course I got two lovebirds now I know with all the research it has helped me understand them some more but I'd like someone who has had some experience with lovebirds to answer these questions

Questions

Question 1:
    Did I make a good decisions on getting two lovebirds?

Questions 2:
    Is it alright if they fight a bit?

Question 3:
    How can I get them to trust me more?

Question 4:
    I'm not sure on if I should get their wings clipped or not?

Question 5:
    Should I Whistle at them?

Question 6:
    What age will I be able to tell if they're a boy or a girl

P.S
    I have had these birds for nearly two days

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Questions About Lovebirds

Hi Sakai, Welcome to the world of owning a lovebird. They are such little cuties and boy oh boy will them keep you smiling all day watching them. I will say that one lovie would have been easier but two will be OK because they both came to you at the same time. It may take longer to get them to like you but never give up and one day they will decide you are there friend.

Lovebirds, really all birds have little fights now and then. Heck Boomer use to fight with us when he didn't want to do something that he didn't want to do. They are very sassy independent birds.

Trust will come and for now just talk to them all the time so they get use to your voice and your presence around them. It is up to you if you get them clipped. I think they would be easier to train if they were clipped but then this is a very personal thing and only you can decide to clip them or not. Boomer was clipped when he came home so we had no choice in that matter. He also luckily was also people friendly when we brought him home so we never had to deal with him being afraid of us and having to train him. We talked lots around Boomer, we whistled, sang and danced around him as well just so he got use to our movements and our voices. I bird sat 4 budgies that were all in one cage here for a week and those budgies were very afraid of people and flew frantically everytime we talked or walked past there cage. We just talked like crazy to them and within two days they were use to us and watched us like crazy. They also took tiny seeds from our fingers by the 4th day but I was very persistent and tried to feed them almost all day long. You cannot tell the sex of lovebird without a DNA test. You can get them done from this company www.avianbiotech.com/ The hardest thing is you have to pull some feathers out of them to do it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sakai
    Thanks

Re: Questions About Lovebirds

Hi Deanna, Thanks for all the information about them and I am near them all day long as its in my gaming room which I spend most of my time in, which I thought was a good idea as they will get less afraid of me which yes It has made them less scared of me, Thanks for all the help

Remove Ads