where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: budgie throwing up? :(

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dallon
    Thanks

budgie throwing up? :(

hello, my sweet little girl has been throwing up for the last couple of days.
    she chirps sometimes, but she usually stays hidden behind her mirror.
    she is eating, and drinking.

she bobs her head as if she was going to throw up, and then stops, she does throughout the days, and she sleeps a lot. sometimes, she can't stop in time, or gets too weak and throws up whole seeds, sometimes stuck together, but mostly throws them all around her cage.
    i haven't been able to get into contact with a vet this week, but we are planning to call and visit one tomorrow.

we visited a vet a few weeks ago when we thought there was a problem, but they said she was fine, and just needed a mate.

there aren't any avian vets in my town, and i don't know what to do!
    she seems extremely stressed, and i do not want to put her through more stress by traveling with her again. i was wondering if video footage of her doing this would suffice for now?

please help. i don't know what to do.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

Re: budgie throwing up? :(

How old is your budgie? It sounds to me like she needs immediate vet attention. Anytime birds vomit, that is a red flag. And her other symptoms do not sound good either. I suggest an immediate vet contact. This problem cannot be addressed with home remedies.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dallon
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    How old is your budgie? It sounds to me like she needs immediate vet attention. Anytime birds vomit, that is a red flag. And her other symptoms do not sound good either. I suggest an immediate vet contact. This problem cannot be addressed with home remedies.
    hi, thanks for the reply! shes 8, turning 9 soon. we've been looking everywhere for vets, but none of them know where we can find one, we'll be continuing the search tomorrow.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

It could be that her age is a factor. I know how your heart hurts for her. Have you recently changed her diet in any way? Have you ever added pellets to her diet, or changed a seed mix she had eaten for a long time. Do you feed any fresh foods or veggies to her?

I would suggest you be sure to keep her warm if you live in a cold climate. Cover cage in daytime 3 sides with front open in the daytime, and cover all sides at night, with a few inches on the front bottom left open for light.

I truly admire you for keeping her so long. 8-9 years is a long time, so I know you have given her excellent care.

If you have given her pellets, discontinue them immediately. Feed her seeds she always eats. And cook some white rice and cool it so it would not burn her. See if she would eat some for you from a teaspoon. Rice is considered to be easily digested, and it may be she will keep it down and not throw up. Feed the rice to her several times a day, separate from the seeds. You may need to mash the rice somewhat. If you are feeding any raw foods, disscontinue them such as raw veggies and fruits. They are harder to digest. You can cook some sweet potato, carrots, or give cooked or canned app!esauce. It could be she has an ulcer in the stomach. Watch for any signs of blood, either in the poops, or in the vomit.

Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-04-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads