Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Happy anniversary to Ashi, Ashu, Asha and Koko

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Happy anniversary to Ashi, Ashu, Asha and Koko

In honour of the first anniversary of the first four of my birdie babies, Ashi, Ashu, Asha & Koko, who first came into my life in November last year, I wanted to write a short note to say thank you to my little birdies who have brought so much joy in my life, when I was previously feeling low and isolated. There have been tears when accidents happened and when I didnt know if Asha was ok with her feathers, but in this year everything has worked out really well for everyone, and I have watched all of you grow into healthy and happy ...... teenagers I guess I should say? I remember every moment with all of you, even just the simple moments, when I would just sit on the floor of your room and watch you eating then suddenly decide to break out into song, because apparently thats what birdies do I have so much to say about you, but I think I will just post some new pictures and provide some updates on everyone. Sorry in advance if this post becomes too long! There are so many to write about

Ashi and Koko, love to sing, sing, and sing some more all day long. I was worried that they dont eat much, but since we started buying our seeds in bulk from local producers, they are eating more, especially oats which I'm happy with as it means less sunflower as they previously preferred. They do fight a lot more though, which has me wondering if I need to separate them. They are extremely bonded to each other, but Ashi is always kicking Koko away from her sometimes, yet at the same time, he never learns lol as he always follows her everywhere and when she's trying to eat he ants to go to that exact spot at the same time. Apart from that they are alright though. And still eating their vegetables, they especially like carrot now, especially when shredded into strings, and spinach and celery and still corn. Ashi is the blue version of Kovu, she has completely imitated her sounds and gestures, from quacking like a duck to now blowing kisses.

Ashu and Asha have become naughty, especially little Asha. She likes to tip over all her containers for some reason lol. I tried to do the job for her and put the containers on the ground of the cage when she's trying to tip so the food doesnt spill all over the place, and then what does she do when I'm gone? Tries to move the containers around even more lol. Poor Ashu gets annoyed when she wants to eat from the containers and Asha is trying to move them However they have become extremely mellow now, even though I can't go and get them with my hand as they are scared of that still, they will eat seeds from my fingers through the bars of the cage as well as some vegetables. They especially are loving safflower right now and as usual their millets whether hanging or in their bowls. Thankfully, they have not tried mate in a long time, apart from yesterday, which was cold day, so I think these girls think about eggs and mating when its cold.

Nala and Iki, are as above, becoming naughty as well. Since Nala has developed her wings and can fly, she has declared herself the boss of her kingdom. Similar to Ashi and Koko, when Iki wants to follow her or play with something she's already playing with she will kick her away, by use of biting, so I am constantly hearing small cries of pain these days from Iki and Koko so I am monitoring these pairs. however they are still bonded to each other and will huddle together and give each other scratches, and they are enjoying eating oats again since we switched to fresh bulk seeds which I'm really happy about as they were mostly just eating sunflower before. They love their vegetables as well, especially corn and broccoli, Nala has to miss out on Brussel sprouts, her favourites, for awhile as its not in season at the moment. They are still fragile and I'm always careful when changing their food and water so that they dont flap everywhere but they are doing well.

Kovu and Kiara are also doing well, they eagerly come to our hands in the morning waiting for their vegetables, as they know the routine of vegetables coming after the blankets are off. They are healthy girls, and starting to eat more variety in their seeds, especially if I hand feed it to them through the bars, Kiara in particular is fond of oats, while Kovu seems to prefer safflower. No eggs for them, and probably only once or twice in the past few months I've seen one of them spreading the wings for mating but it never happens. Kovu is so cute and chubby, if she weren't a massive biter I would want to hold her round little body lol. And she likes to blow kisses a lot too but she doesnt know she's doing that she's just imitated the sound and does it when she's sleep chirping or eating something that she really enjoys

Luna has been doing even better since first arriving. She has no bold patch on her forehead anymore, she appears healthier and my partner who held her a few times when he couldn't get her back into the cage after playtime, said she's heavier than when she first arrived, so she's definitely eating and drinking. She loves eat everything, oats, sunflower, safflower, and all the vegetables, but in particular corn and broccoli. She's the first one to wake up every morning and start chirping when she hears the wild birds outside and ends up waking everyone else up, and the poor thing always wakes up chirping everytime the train passes by here too as its fairly loud, but I think she's slowly getting used to that sound as its happening a little less often.

Socrates, the ringneck is the one I have the most amazing update about. He was an aviary bird his whole life, not used to humans and aggressive. Yes he still growls when trying to change his water and food. But shockingly, he seems to adore my partner now. He can now put his finger in the cage, and all of a sudden, socrates decides to perch on his finger then climbs up to his shoulder! And he looks so happy about it! I think this is because previously he was regularly getting him and holding him, whether he liked it or not, and giving him scratches a lot. Perhaps he realised if he goes out of the cage he will get nice head scratches. And he is eating a whole lot more and doesnt run around the cage anymore from his hormones. He wants to try every vegetable we give him and his container is now always full of colourful vegetables. It is amazing how he has changed in just a few short months, at first we were worried because he's also become more quieter but he was only screaming a lot when he was hormonal, and he will still sleep talk during the day and will still scream if he hears a bird outside too.

And now the best part of this long post, some pictures:

https://imgur.com/gallery/LaNNO

And thank you to everyone on this forum, who have been so helpful and providing so much guidance. I will always appreciate that!

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Re: Happy anniversary to Ashi, Ashu, Asha and Koko

Happy anniversary to your new partners, I can really feel the love you have for your birds by reading you.

For you Ringneck, it makes me remember of my first one in 1998, I still hadn't white haire then , from my experience they're not difficult at all with new veggies compared to other birds as lovebirds for example, I think males are a bit less shy than female.
    And you will see the day when he will step on your finger, it took me a long time to happen but finallen it happened, it's incredible the strength they have in their fingers, impressive, really?

And thank you to be a part of this forum, always a pleasure to read you, your birds are beautiful.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you so much for that! And the same to you as well, there are many people breeding and raising birds in the world but without any care for them, but you are certainly different and are caring for your birds. I'll never forget when I first saw the first three of my lovebirds, they were in a box, and I peeked inside, and saw these three tiny little furry babies sitting in a line squashed together, and immediately I just adored them I knew nothing about lovebirds and didnt even know they were hybrids until you mentioned it to me, I thought I knew a little bit and because we were told they are masked I thought that when they became adults they would have pure black heads, silly me But I adore them nonetheless they are all one of a kind, all 10 of them. I think all birdies have their own special personalities.

Thats funny, they will certainly increase our ageing process don't they, I know I am definitely feeling less energy these days when I am sweeping up each day after them. I can imagine its more hard for you, you have so many to look after, you must be running around all day caring for them.

I love the story about your first ringneck. It is amazing how they can turn out when they get a lot of love and care.

I always appreciate reading your posts on here too and I'm always excited to see pictures of your many many birdies! I'm so glad I joined this forum, it is a great supporting and informative place, and so fun to check pictures all the time too

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Laila!!! Happy anniversary to all of those sweet babies!!! And thank you for the lovely update. As I was reading, I could not help but think it was a loving story and update, written, just like a mom for her human children, and how these precious birds have made you and your partner have many happy days, and the revelation that ALL creation is clothed in beauty, and especially little birds, who have been given the gift of singing and beautiful feathers and wings by our Creator.

You and your partner are awesome caregivers to each one of them. Birds know when we love them and they will find ways to love us right back, just like Luna and Socrates and the lovebirds have done.

My new title for you is "birdy scientist", because I really had doubt you would ever stop those hens from laying eggs for this long. Even a month would have been success!! I think you must have hypnotized them!!!

Keep on your journey with all of your pals!! Yes, I do think they were the best buddies to ever arrive to your home and life.

Congratulations, Laila! And also to your partner. We will love to keep on the journey with you with your flock!! Happy days!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I just love this update Laila and so very happy each and every bird in your big flock has all become family and sound like they are all doing very good. That is GREAT that Socrates calmed down and how shocking he is sitting on your boyfriends shoulder now! This is huge and before long he will be sitting on you as well. You both have that bird touch and your flock must know that they have two very good parronts to look after them. I too am surprised they are not laying eggs now and whatever you did was a great thing because it calmed them down from having too many eggs. Little Nala cracks me up, girls always seem to be the ones who decided they are the flock leader and try to boss everyone around.

You should be a writer, your words are always captivating and so exciting to read and I always look forward to reading your updates about your beautiful flock. Each day must be so exciting with all your "now" very well behaved feathered kids. I just cant even imagine how fun it is to sit there and watch all of them just doing there "bird thing" together.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Ellen, thank you so much for the comments! I agree, our creator has made these beautiful creatures with the most attention to detail and given them wonderful colours and the gift of wings to fly. I feel like birdies are the angels on earth

I was also worried that the egg laying may not stop either, and I think that it will probably be something that I'll be concerned about permanently. Although they thankfully haven't laid eggs again, they still try to mate from time to time, some of them appear to be making nests in their food bowls sometimes with celery strings and hanging millet (such as kovu) but they have not gone as far as to actually lay an egg but I'll just have to keep an eye on them. Maybe its because I'm always home looking at them that Im able to prevent eggs occurring again , but sometimes I do have to go inside slowly and stop mating from occurring but thankfully not as often.

Thank you Deanna as well! It's funny you say that, because as a child I always wanted to be a writer when I grew up! However I find that I am just not very creative in writing stories, maybe the birdies will help and I could write a children's book about birds one day I always thought my forum posts on here were too long sometimes, I'm glad everyone is enjoying reading them though!

Nala is funny these days, sometimes I need to move the cages around just a little each day when I need to sweep the corners of the room from the seed spills, and she goes nuts if anyone is anywhere near her cage, she turns her head sideways to get a good look at whoever is there and then she climbs up to the top and starts screaming at them or tries to open the cage by biting it and making a "ding" sound with it lol certainly not welcoming anyone to her "neighbourhood". Luna's cage is next to hers and she's fine with that (I think?), but if Luna is moved a little close to her they both go near each other and start screaming like crazy, but its cute to hear Luna making different sounds. I was always curious about her sounds as they are completely different from the rest of them, and just recently I saw a documentary on parrots and it featured the wild peach faces in Arizona, USA and their chirps were exactly like Luna's.

They really have brought so much joy, I can't imagine my life without them now, I hope if I have human kids in the future that I can teach them to adore them too!

Remove Ads