Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need advice. Parakeet with eye issue...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Korin
    Thanks

Need advice. Parakeet with eye issue...

Hi there,

We just adopted a bird from a family who could no longer take care of him. We have always had parakeets, but have never seen anything like the issue this bird has. We were told the bird had "lost" his eye before we took him in. Although the person had no idea what happened to the eye. Just said one day they noticed it wasn't there. We have had the bird for a few days now and have seen the "lost" eye open a few times, so it is there! It is just severely irritated. The bird is a male and is about 5 years old. We think he has been living with this eye issue for at least 4-5 months!! The poor thing. He otherwise has healthy looking feathers and his other eye as well as his cere, beak and feet all look to be fine. In the last few days since we have had him we were thinking that the eye almost looked to be improving a bit. We are seeing the eye open more...but, there is definitely still a lot of buildup (crustiness) around the eye and feathers missing from the skin around the eye. He seems to be rubbing it more on his perch today, which he hasn't been doing prior. He has opened the eye occasionally, but it mostly remains closed.

He had been kept in a room for most of his life without much/any social interaction. I don't think he was ever let out of the cage either.

We are ordering a new/larger cage for him and getting him new toys and perches. So hoping that will help make him more comfortable (his cage is very small and the perches are awful). He also seems to be really enjoying finally being around the action, so to speak. He gets lots of attention and is near the kitchen area so is getting to see everyone coming and going. We hope this will lift his spirits a bit! We haven't tried handling him much yet. Just letting him get used to his new surroundings for the last few days. He is a very friendly bird.

Wondering if any of you have ever had an issue with a parakeet having one eye completely irritated and crusty, but look to be healthy everywhere else.

Could it be conjunctivitis? We will take him to the vet for an opinion. Just wanted to reach out and see if any of you had any similar experiences.

I would love to post a photo, but am trying to figure out how. I have never used the site before.

Thank you!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

Re: Need advice. Parakeet with eye issue...

Hi, and welcome. I admire you completely for bringing this budgie home. It sounds to me like he could have an eye infection that should have been treated but was left as it is now. It had to be very painful for him. It is sad how some owners treat their birds. I would try to get an avian vet appointment asap. I think that problem can be treated. Whether he will be able to see will need to be determined after treatment and evaluation. But birds are very resilient, and if he does have seeing challenges, it will not stop him from being happy. He will get used to you, and love you, that I am very sure of, because budgies are sweet, hardy, happy and loving birds. Thank God you found him. He will be a wonderful friend, and will love a new cage with new perches and toys. Be sure to get him a swing and a mirror. My two budgies are in separate cages, and both of them LOVE their mirror boy and girlfriends. And pick up some millet sprigs too. Budgies love millet.

We will watch for updates.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 1,026 Posts

Re: Need advice. Parakeet with eye issue...

It is easy to post pictures. Get a Tiny Pic account on line, up load your pics to that account and post them here. Above this space are some icons. Copy your pics on Tiny Pic. Then, come here and on the third icon from the right click on image. Paste your URL from tiny pic, and your pic should show up here. You also can upload them to your gallery. Click on profile to find your gallery.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads