Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm worried but...

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Exclamation I'm worried but...

Hi, I'm new here and I'm from Spain so, excuse my bad english, please.

Well, three months ago, my friends gave me away a new budgie. I thinks he's about one year, more or less. Now, I'm a bit worried about him. I have to say that, since he got home, he hasn't been too talktive or even active but he seems to be ok. He eats normal, drinks normal and clean himself but he past almost all day sleeping since autumm started, around the end of october. He doesn't make a noise and he's always fluff. Also he breathes deeply and he has bad balance but never falls.

I'm not sure what to do but I'm worried. I want him to be happy and sing and play around but he does nothing. Maybe he needs company? Or it's just he's personality?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,104 Posts

Re: I'm worried but...

Hi, and welcome to the community. I think it would be a good idea to call an Avian vet, or regular vet in your area and take him in for a wellness check. Budgies are active birds and they make chatter throughout most of their day and play with mirrors and toys. They also are big eaters. Budgies and all birds hide their illnesses very cleverly. The balance problem, sleeping a lot and being all fluffed up are red flags that can signal illness.

What diet does he eat? Pellets, or seeds, or a combination of both?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He eats seeds and spinach.
    I would like to carry him to the vet but the only exotic/avian vet in my town (it's a small town) is very expensive.

Ah, also he usually yells at me when things don't go like he wants. He's a grumpy. And he has no curiosity sense for nothing (since he got home)

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would discontinue the spinach for awhile and see if that makes any difference. Spinach does have a lot of iron in it. Try feeding fresh leaf lettuce instead. I totally understand the expensive vet visits. We have that problem here too.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'll try that, thanks. Also I'm worried about his beak. He uses it to move around the cage and push up himself. I don't know why doesn't fly or jumps. He makes noisies with his beak and it seems damaged. I put him a calcium rock but he don't even try to use it.
    I'll try to ask for those problems in an pet shop, maybe I can get to know what happend to him.
    Thanks for answering, maxollie

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi,
    I just wanted to say that I took him to the pet shop where he was and they told me he has Coccidiosis, so I now I can give him medicine. I hope he will get healthy soon

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, I am so sorry he has coxci. That is a real nasty disease. Often times farm chickens get it. Do please keep us posted as to how the meds are working. I admire you so much for getting help and meds for him.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Oh, I am so sorry he has coxci. That is a real nasty disease. Often times farm chickens get it. Do please keep us posted as to how the meds are working. I admire you so much for getting help and meds for him.
    Oh, thanks. Sorry, for the late answer.
    Well, Coxci is making him very weak and he has lost a lot of weight. Treatment finish today and then he starts with the vitamins. I'm really worried about him, a couple days ago I thought he was seriously going to die but he's still alive. He's a strong boy, but he's still very in danger.

Also, I have a very important question. How could I know he has no coxci? I've read that, even if he's ok, he can be carrier of the disease.
    Last edited by vads; 12-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I do not think there is a way to know early on, and I have to wonder what kind of aviary or home he lived, before you got him. The farm chickens that get it bleed from the rectum. And on the farm, I think those chickens can all get it because it is contagious. Do a Google search for coxyi disease in caged birds, and see if there is anything on the web. I feel sad for him. I hope he does not regress. From what I recall of my mom's farm chickens, which was many years ago, I think the vet gave her some meds to put in their drinking water, but back then, I think there was not much success with that med. And I think her chickens carried the disease as babies when she got them at the hatchery.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Merry Xmas to you both.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-16-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks, Merry Chrismas to you too.
    He was in a common petshop, with a lot of another budgies. I'm worried about the other budgies of the petshop, because my budgie could not get the coxci in my house so, he brought it from the pet shop.
    My budgie stays on the floor lately but he can go up if he wants, he sometimes do it. He have not stoped of drink, eat and clean himself. He sometimes tweet.
    I do not know if it is going to survive or if it's going to be ok if he survives. Maybe he would be a carrier and could never have company.
    And, about the disease, he does not bleed or something. At least, not now. I hope he have dropot the parasite.
    Last edited by vads; 12-17-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Perhaps chickens are prone more to the bleeding. It sounds like he is so brave and coureagous and is trying so hard to live. Our love will often times help a bird to completely heal. Keep talking to him, encouraging him, and telling him you love him.

Yes, I do not think I would get another budgie, but over the years I have had many single budgies, and they were and still are in love with their mirror girlfriends or boyfriends. They talk to them, chirp, and bob their head just like with a real budgie. When you can safely have him out of cage for a short while, take his cage and thoroughly clean it with white vinegar and warm water mixed. Also, if possible, get all new perches for the cage, and wash them with this vinegar/water mix before letting him perch on them. And if you can find some small mirrors and a swing for him, wash them down as well. He will love the swing and mirrors. Two mirrors will be great.

Please provide updates at your convenience. I will pray he will be completely healed.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well, he doesn't love me too much since he arrived, not even now XD but I keep talking him, giving him spinach and looking after him. He's fighting, hope he wins. Today I realised that he has stoped eating too much. I'd like to think we have killed the parasite, so now he has a normal appetite because he has nothing inside him eating his nutrients.

The treatment was a sulfamid therapy (I think I've translated this fine(?))

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, I would call it sulfer here in America but that is correct. I admire you for being smart and able to post and translate your thoughts in English so we can read them. Sulfer is a common med for bird illness I believe. We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello again, I'm sorry to say that my budgie died the day before yesterday.
    Despite all the medicines and cares, he couldn't survive. Even though It's expensive, I brought him to the vet but they told he was about to die. He didn't move. They told me to go to the petshop where y bought him and complain about the situation. The store dependent was sorry about all of that and told me my budgie has no remedy and he told me to come back another day and he'll give a new free budgie.
    I'm sad for my poor budgie, but he has been a strong boy and, even though we haven't share too much time, I'll miss him.
    Thanks for the suport, I really apreciate it.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! I am so sorry and I am sending you hugs!! He sure did put up a good fight to survive, but that disease is really difficult to treat. I hope the one they give you the next time will not have this disease. Are there other pet shops in the area? Would the pet shop give you a refund instead? I sure do not want you to have to go through this heartbreak again. My suggestion to you is to get a brand new cage for the new budgie, along with all new toys, and perches. Wash everything down with the warm water and vinegar mix before getting your new bird. You cannot chance the new one getting the germs from the bird that died, from the old cage.

We will welcome updates anytime.

Fly high and free over the Rainbow Bridge, precious budgie!

Remove Ads