Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovebirds of Lorien - 2018

Thanks

Lovebirds of Lorien - 2018

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I'm starting a new thread for my aviary (Lovebirds of Lorien) this year. This is what I'd like to accomplish with this:

1) Share my breeding for the year. I hope to have a couple of clutches including my first ever clutch of Peachfaced babies. :-)

2) Post new pics of some of my birds you haven't seen in a long time.

3) Post pics and give updates on some of my past babies.

4) Post pics of some of my new birds. Birds I've acquired since the last time I documented my breeding. It's been years!

5) Honor the beautiful birds I've lost since last time I posted a thread here. Unfortunately this one will be hard for me...

I'll start off by introducing you again to LORD CELEBORN. One of my babies hatched on 6/15/2013. I can't believe he's going to be 5 years old this year!!!! Where does the time go???
    Celeborn was my pick of the clutch. He is the sweetest bird you can imagine! He is paired with another one of my past babies (Lady Galadriel), and they're a possibility for a clutch this year. But I'll be going into my breeding hopes/plans for the year in my next post.

CELEBORN as a baby

CELEBORN just weaned

CELEBORN this week. He really is a stunning Fischer Lovebird! I love that his belly is all white. So when you look at him from the front, he's all white except for his Lavender wings.

I hope you will enjoy this thread throughout the year with me!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Lovebirds of Lorien - 2018

Hi Tim, and happy new year to you too!

I am really looking forward to hearing about your breeding adventures this year and especially looking forward to the pictures that will come along with this too!

That is a beautiful Fischer lovebird you have there. For some reason, fischer lovebirds seem to fascinate me a lot. I just love his beautiful lavender feathers. It is amazing how they change from white, to slightly lavender to fully lavender. Even though I wasn't on these forums when you would have posted about your previous birds, I will be looking forward to reading all about them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so excited to hear about and see your amazing lovebirds here again. Celeborn colors are amazing and hopefully him and Lady Galadriel will make some beautiful babies.

Wow baby peachfaces from you! This will be exciting and rare from you because you always had Fishers.

I will be sad to hear about your losses. Losing a loved bird touches our soul in such a deep way that it is hard to ever get over.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Henry
    Thanks

Those colors are a thing of beauty and perfection!

Thanks

Laila, I'm glad Fischer Lovebirds fascinate you. They're my favorite. :-) Though I do love them all. You're gonna be seeing some beauties in this thread.

I agree Henry, Celeborn really is something special. Thanks for following along.

Deanna, we've known each other since I first came to this site 8 years ago! I'm glad you're still here with me. Maybe this year you'll get one of my babies??? ;-)

I wanted to go into my breeding options this post, but I think I need to follow along with what I started first. Celeborn. I need to introduce his mate Galadriel.

So here's LADY GALADRIEL. Hatched 01/14/14. Making her 4 years old in just over a week. I'd have to say she was my most beautiful baby I ever produced. Not a surprise since I considered her Mom my most beautiful Lovebird. Celeborn actually chose her as his mate during "out of cage" time. He would always fly to her and spend all the time with her. They were a perfect pairing in every sense. The amazing thing about LADY GALADRIEL is that she's like a piece of Pyrite (fools gold). When holding a piece of Pyrite, the outsides are gold, but the center is grey. As you move it around, the gold is always on the outside. When looking at her she's a celery green, but the outsides are blue. As she moves, the blue is always on the outside. Not sure that makes any sense. lol But you can see it in some of the pics.

LADY GALADRIEL as a baby

LADY GALADRIEL just weaned

LADY GALADRIEL as an adult

Last edited by Anfsurfer; 01-04-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Wow just stunning! Lady Galadriel certainly looks like a queen! I would love to have some pure fischers lovebirds. The closest I have is my little Kovu, who appears to be a hybrid, but with stronger Fischer blood. I love all my birds too, but am quite curious about little Fischer ones, as I've already got masked ones, a peach faced and some mixed ones.

Have Lord Celebron and Lady Galadriel had a clutch before? Or will this be the first time? I wonder what colours their babies will be.

I think Deanna will be very tempted to get a lovebird or three from you

I love the chubbiness of a Fischer's mouth. They always seem more rounder. And their eyes, something about their eyes, makes them seem so curious yet protective and territorial.

I'm really excited to read and see more on this thread!

Thanks

They have NOT had a clutch before Laila. But they have mated and laid eggs before, so I'm confident they would be great parents.
    Their babies would be just like them. CELEBORN is BLUE, and GALADRIEL is PARBLUE, so babies would be both those colors. They're both PASTEL mutation, so all babies would be Pastel.
    The only thing I might expect to see is a darker, more Blue version of GALADRIEL...like her Mom was, just Pastel. But that would depend on whether GALADRIEL had a Violet Factor or not. Hard to say with her.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

So absolutely beautiful!!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LOL, Laila I have been tempted by Tim's babies forever and ever year he torments me with his amazing beautiful babies but I have held out year after year. I remember both Lord Celebron and Lady Galadriel as babies here and always knew they would have amazing babies one day. They both sure did grow up to be some unique and beautiful birds. There names fit them perfectly as well as they might just be the king and queen of your flock. Wow 8 years is such a long time and in those 8 years your babies by far have always been the most beautiful birds born here. Plus your pictures are always some of the best as well and I know I for one droll and admire your posts you do here when you have new babies. These babies will be hard to resist but I am a pretty stubborn girl when it comes to taking off for long vacations and we are going to semi retire this year so that means even more long weekends for us. Maybe Carissa will want to add to her zoo she has going these days

Is Lady Galadriel the one as your avatar here? If so she really does change colors depending on how you are looking at her.

Thanks

Thank you Jen!!! Thanks for stopping by my Thread. More to come...

Deana, I'm sure Carissa wouldn't mind babysitting your Lovie whilst you're away. :-) It really would be awesome if you had one of my babies!!!
    No, that's not Lady Galadriel in the avatar. It's Lady Galadriel's Mom (Linaewen) who passed away early Dec. 2015 from egg binding. :-( It was so devastating. She was such a nice bird. Galadriel reminds me so much of her.

GLORFINDEL AND LINAEWEN (RIP) - Lady Galadriel's parents

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Linaewen has the brightest orange head I ever seen on a lovebird, it almost looks like you colored it on her Tim! I cant even imagine how awful it was to lose her to egg binding. I talk to Andrea (Ham's Mom from here) now and then and she still is sad about losing Ham to egg binding. She spent a fortune on her to get the egg out and she still died It was a huge fear of mine and I was so thankful Boomer was a boy. Carissa was worried about Tikki being a girl for the same reason but he is all boy thankfully.

We will see what I will do when I see your amazing babies, you already know how I love my freedom of no animals but then again I sure do miss having a sweet lovie around here.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Oh I’m so so sorry for your loss. This is exactly why I wanted boys. I have two budgies that I’m still holding out hope for males. Lol. But I tell you what I’m soooooo drawn to the lovebirds and yours are simply exquisite.
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about Linaewen passing away. How old was she? That would break my heart and it broke my heart now reading about the poor thing passing from egg binding. I wish females didnt have to be at risk of egg binding. Most of mine are females, and I worry all the time about egg binding, most of them are housed with their bonded friend who are of the same gender, but because of hormones and having laid infertile eggs before, I still worry that it might happen but I'm always hoping that it will not. I try my best now to not provide them with any toys that might make them hormonal.

Where is Glorfindel now? They definitely were a great pair to have created a cutie pie like Lady Galadriel. She definitely looks like her mom. And I bet she will make the most beautiful babies with her king, Lord Celebron. It is almost as if Linaewen's spirit was passed onto Galadriel and Galadriel is her legacy.

That is funny Deanna, and this time if you got one of Tim's you would experience having a fischers, and be able to see if it is different than having a peach faced too But that is understandable wanting to enjoy your freedom, and I would imagine it would be hard to get another one in the house again after experiencing loss. Maybe Carissa would like to get a mini Fischer friend or four for Tikki I would be tempted too, even though I'm the one always telling my partner to stop looking for more birds to get all the time due to living in a small place and considering financial aspects as well. It definitely takes a lot of willpower to not take some home though and If I lived over there, I'd probably have a bunch of Fischers from you Tim, by now too.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your compassion. She was beautiful inside and out, and it was very difficult at the time.

Laila, she was around 3 years old when it happened. Glorfindel is still here with me. He's housed by himself though. I've entertained getting him a new friend, but never found the right bird. He's super sweet! He was my keeper from my first ever clutch of babies!!! Hatched 04/24/12. But he almost died as a baby. I'm sure Deanna remembers. He was the youngest of the clutch and the others were pretty much outside the box, and Mom decided she didn't want to finish feeding him. I didn't realize when I had them out that he was weak and wasn't being fed...I just thought he was tired. But the next time I checked on them, he was gone from the cage and the box! I was like "What could have happened to him???" Then I dug up the nesting material in the box, and Mom had buried him underneath, but before doing so plucked the back of his head and even drew blood, probably trying to make him get out of the box on his own. He was near dead, so weak. I rushed him to my friend who was a vet tech and had Lovebird babies, and she took care of him and fed him until he was weaned and recovered.

GLORFINDEL as a baby

GLORFINDEL the day he came home from my friends care. The back of his head was mostly feathered in again, but he still had some sores I could see.

And a pic I took today of him harassing the Ringnecks. lol He's such a cutie.

I don't only have Fischers though, I have Peachfaced and Blackmasked too guys! My first lovebirds were Peachfaced!!!! In fact, just today when I went in the birdroom to change food and water, I saw the first Lovebird I ever picked out and said "God you're beautiful!!!"
    Her name is CELEBRIAN, and she seriously is the first bird your eyes would probably focus on when walking in the room because she's electric!!! I can't believe she just turned 8 years old.

Here's the pic my friend sent me that made me want CELEBRIAN 8 years ago!

And here's one I snapped of her in the birdroom to show you how she looks today. She is GORGEOUS!!!

Deanna, CELEBRIAN is so much like Ham was...a big, sassy, comical hen for the record books.
    Last edited by Anfsurfer; 01-06-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh I remember Glorfindel and what happened to him as a very young baby. I forgot all about him and was so happy you got him help right away because no doubt he would have died without your friends help. He is such a amazing bird and I hate to say it but he might just be more handsome then Celebron! Gasp... did I just say that?

If Celebrian is like Ham boy oh boy she must be just full of it. I am going to have to tell Andrea you are going to breed some lovebirds this year because she has told me numerous times she wishes she could have a lovebird like Ham again. She has looked around when she lived in LA but couldn't find any lovies. She is San Francisco now so closer to pick one up from you. She has two parrotlets who are not people friendly and she misses her "Velcro" bird Ham.

It is funny that most everyone here except maybe Ellen (Maxollie) don't have a clue about all your birds you have. I fell madly in love with your flock the first time you posted pictures here and still love them like crazy. I am super excited to see you hear again and cannot wait to see which of your birds will decide its time to have babies. I am really hoping Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel will have babies because no doubt they will be very beautiful.

Remove Ads