where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Taming a 2 year old cockatiel?

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Taming a 2 year old cockatiel?

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a cockatiel from a local pet store. I was told he was "semi-tame". He doesn't bite or hiss, however he doesn't particularly like humans either. Ive made some progress with him and i'm able to get my hand in the cage and feed him from my hand, if its a certain type of food. Hes a lovely little guy, and i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips/advice on furthering my trust with him and the next steps to take to get him used to me? Hes not at the stage of teaching him to step up yet, although i was told his previous owner was able to handle him that way, i'm not sure i believe that to be true as he acts like hes never had contact with a hand before.

Thanks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: Taming a 2 year old cockatiel?

Hi, and welcome! Time and patience are on your side. All birds are afraid of hands, especially when we first bring therm home. My thought would be to just take a day at a time with him. Each day will give him more trust in you. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and take a sprig and extend the millet out so he can eat off the top of it, but your hand will then not be right up close to him. Try this a few times a day. Play soft music on a radio or CD. Sit by his cage and talk softly to him. Eat a snack while you sit by him and let him eat his favorite treat or the millet.

Being two years old, it may take awhile longer for him to come around because other than what you were told you do not have a history of his life, and we can never know how he was treated for sure.

Go to YouTube and search for training cockatiels. There are some great videos there.

We will welcome your updates anytime.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hello Holly. Ellen gave you some sound advice. Do you have any toys for your tiel? My little guy likes bells and he chews through a cuttle bone rather quickly. I don't recommend getting any mirrors because it can make your tiel hormonal and that's the last thing you need. Toys help with boredom. The millet is a great idea to earn his trust. Remember, it's not going to happen overnight. It takes time. Once the trust is earned and the bond is created, you will have a great relationship with your feathered friend.

Note: My birds favorite toy are my earrings..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been hand feeding him millet since i got him and spending pretty much all day with him until the holidays are over and i have to go back to college. He enjoys soft music but has no interest in any of the singing videos aimed towards cockatiels. I left the toys he had with his cage when i got him hoping it'd settle him in quicker - but he seemed agitated and annoyed by how crowded his cage was and never played with them, so of course i switched them out and gave him newer toys, and made it less crowded for him, still no interest in the toys though!
    As for youtube videos, i've looked at quite a few, but a lot of them seem to contradict eachother so im not too sure where to go with them.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Hes also started trying to eat his fluffy bed? Not entirely sure if he did this before i got him or not, but is it a sign of anything? A possible deficiency? Hes definitely not trying to play with it. I'm probably overthinking but just worried!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

What is a fluffy bed? I have not heard of one. I have seen the happy tents. In my view, anything fluffy, or flannel, such as the tent I mentioned should not be used. The tiny fibers from the material can be swallowed and could end up as a ball of fiber in the stomach. And further, anything like cloth can encourage hormone activity in both male and female. Most birds are happy to sleep on a perch. Hormones are a difficult time for birds, so if you do not give them beds, tents, etc., you will and they will be much happier. Hormone uptake changes them into grouchy, and sometimes aggressive birds, for a few weeks. Then, suddenly, one day, they get back to happy behavior.

Tiels are usually happy with one or two favorite toys. If he does choose a couple that he will play with, that is normal behavior. Let him always keep those.The ones that I had over the years just are not much into toys. Changing them out is a good idea, if you leave their favorites.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-08-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Wrong phrasing, my bad. Its a tent, but its fluffier than the ones you usually get, it came with the cage when i picked him up. I have just taken it out now, so perhaps over the next few days he will be happier.

I have yet to find any toys he will play with, but i will keep searching. My other birds pretty much play with anything so this little guy is a bit more of a challenge!

Thank you for your help

Remove Ads