where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please Help,My baby cockateil won't stop screaming

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chanis
    Thanks

Question Please Help,My baby cockateil won't stop screaming

I just got a cockateil 3 days ago. He's probably 4-6 weeks old,unweaned so I hand fed him. The problem is he always screams when he sees or hear me. I thought he might be hungry so i fed him but he won't stop screamimg. So it might be that he want attention so i hold him but nonetheless he will scream, he will get quiet if i stay still but when i move he will scream again. or sometime he wont stop screamming at all even after i fed him or hold him or leaves him alone. Is it scared of me? or is it sick? I dont know what is that screamming means. Please help

Name
    Erika
    Thanks

Re: Please Help,My baby cockateil won't stop screaming

That's normal. My cockatiel wouldn't stop shrieking every hour of the day if anybody showed signs of being alive near her, it eventually stopped after I slowly converted her to solid food. You should check your formula to see if its too watery and weigh your bird afterwards, if thats fine then nothings wrong.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,324 Posts

Usually, birds do not go to homes until they are about 12" weeks old. Those screams are baby noisesz, because your baby is missing his mom and dad and siblings that were weigh him. I would put him on a regular feeding schedule of about every 2-3 hours a day, and feed him before you out him to bed at night. You also many need to feed him once during the night.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Probably will take some more time to figure the bird out. You only have had him 2-3 days. Study and observe him. You will learn more about him.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chanis
    Thanks

he stops scraming now but instead he won't eat and i dont know what's wrong with him

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Parrotlove
    Thanks

My baby cockateil is 30 days old and it keeps screaming whenever we turn on the light. I have kept it warm in a cardboard box with wooden scraps. It is well fed. But why it screams when the light is on? If we turn on the light then it stops screaming within 1-2 mins.

I bought it from buyer yesterday,And he said that it is normal. But Iam worried a bit .

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,324 Posts

Hi, and welcome. Quite honestly, the baby is too young to be sent to your home. It needs to be in an aviary at your buyers for at least 12 weeks. I would contact the buyer, and take the baby back there and have him or her return the baby to its parents for a few more weeks. You should be able to visit the baby until such time it is ready to come back home to you. At this young age, it is very dufficult for them to survive in a home.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Parrotlove
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome. Quite honestly, the baby is too young to be sent to your home. It needs to be in an aviary at your buyers for at least 12 weeks. I would contact the buyer, and take the baby back there and have him or her return the baby to its parents for a few more weeks. You should be able to visit the baby until such time it is ready to come back home to you. At this young age, it is very dufficult for them to survive in a home.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, reaching this chick's parents is not possible as of now. He is comfortable if he is very close to me like sitting on my laps and covered with hands(slightly) and he stops screaming for sometime until he is disturbed. Does it mean he is cold?

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I agree with everything that maxollie (Ellen) stated in her reply. 30 days old is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young for a cockatiel to be re-homed. What are you feeding the baby? This seller should be turned in for animal cruelty. I don't want to sound mean, but this individual you purchased this bird from is only thinking about the bottom line and not the birds general health and well being. What are you going to do if the cockatiel regresses? Can you find a breeder near your home to take the bird to while it is still in the development stages? If you do locate one, see if they will allow you to visit and (husbandry) while the baby is still learning the ways of it's life..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011